Premed 101 Forums

when UBC invite applicants for interview, do they look at GPA first?

Each section is worth a portion (%) of your pre-interview score. Based on those scores, the top 100 will receive an invitation for an interview. It's very objective, but as posted by others in this forum, there are limitations and considerations left out. Hope that helps!

Good luck to you as well as everyone still on waitlist. I look forward to meeting you in the fall!

Does UBC invite applicants to interviews based on GPA first or overall application (i.e. GPA, DAT, and LOR)? Thanks!

I know a lot people think UBC selects people for interview based on the overall package, but I asked my family dentist and he told me that UBC simply ranks applicants by gpa, and everyone above the #100 gets an interview. I think what he says should be reliable since he's been on the UBC admissions committee for the past 5 years and was one of the interviewers for the past 3 years. The good news is that if you are applying during your 5th year, UBC only take the average of your 4th yr + best two of your first 3 years.

To answer your second question, a reference letter from a UBC dentistry professor is nice, but probably will not help very much. The LOR is not heavily weighted at UBC at all, so a lot of general praise won't do you much good, but even the hint of a negative comment can be a red flag for the reviewers. For my case, even though the dentist I shadowed is well known at UBC, I still had two of my professors and my supervisor from work to be my referees because I know for sure their letters will be all positive. So my advice is go with someone YOU know well and don't worry about what their occupation is.

Hope this helped DentistWannaBe. You seem to be a very determined individual. If UBC is your first choice, then don't give up trying. Even if you didn't get in this time, give it another shot next year. Cheers.

I know a lot people think UBC selects people for interview based on the overall package, but I asked my family dentist and he told me that UBC simply ranks applicants by gpa, and everyone above the #100 gets an interview. I think what he says should be reliable since he's been on the UBC admissions committee for the past 5 years and was one of the interviewers for the past 3 years.

DMD11,

I have to disagree with "simply ranks applicants by gpa". While I believe you are offering what you have heard from a reliable source, I know for a fact exactly how applicants are scored. However, my position requires me to remain confidential about the process. One example of other components being considered is carving which has a minimum requirement.

Would you reveal your family dentist's name to me either by replying to this post or through private messaging? I know for a fact that no one can be both an interviewer and an adcom member at the same time so to ensure fairness for all applicants.

I do agree with everything else stated - suggesting you have a reliable source.

thanks guys for the help.

I am going into my 5th year this coming September, but I will be just taking one course to complete my degree.

my number are:

1st year: 77%

2nd year: 79%

3rd year: 74%

4th yearh: 86%

so, my best 3 year average is around 80%. Will they take my 3 best year's averages even though I am just taking one course in 5th year?

I wrote my DAT this Feb and scored 19 on Academic, 21 on PAT, but 13 on carving :(. I am going to write it again.

So, do I still have a pretty good shot? Or should I start looking down to US? I feel that GPA is a weak and is something I can't improve. thanks!

thanks guys for the help.

I am going into my 5th year this coming September, but I will be just taking one course to complete my degree.

my number are:

1st year: 77%

2nd year: 79%

3rd year: 74%

4th yearh: 86%

so, my best 3 year average is around 80%. Will they take my 3 best year's averages even though I am just taking one course in 5th year?

I wrote my DAT this Feb and scored 19 on Academic, 21 on PAT, but 13 on carving :(. I am going to write it again.

So, do I still have a pretty good shot? Or should I start looking down to US? I feel that GPA is a weak and is something I can't improve. thanks!

Nice 4th year. Yes, they'll drop your 3rd year even if you only have 1 course next year since you'll have 4 years of grades on your transcript.

Wity 80% average, you do have a good shoot at UBC. I do know 2 people getting in with around 77% for UBC. But definitely rewrite your DAT and prepare well for the interview. Even though your carving is above cutoff, your current carving+pat ranking will be near the bottom. Try get at least 20 in every section since UBC looks at everything. good luck. :)

thanks for the encouragment. Actually, it will be my 4th time taking the DAT this coming November. For the past 3 DAT exams, I always had full course load, and midterm always occured the day before the DAT exams. I am sure that I will more time to study for the coming DAT since I will just take one course.

Do you what aspect of application that makes those who had 77% average to be a strong applicants? Thanks!

Archived