Premed 101 Forums

Post-interview score

Hey everyone!

We had been talking earlier about whether they will be using the interview only or the 50:50 interview:GPA in their calculation of our post-interview score. I was wondering if anyone has heard an update yet?

Good luck to everyone who is anxiously waiting for May 15th!

Thanks

*fmdsm

It doesn't really make a difference at this point. even if you did know, you can't change anything and you don't know how anyone else scored to know if you would benefit or not. Even if your GPA is super high, you could have scored amazing or horrible on your interview and so the 50/50 may/may not be helpful for you.

Now that I think about it, I agree with silverjelly. Most people probably have GPAs of around 3.85-3.91 or 2. Very few will have GPAs less than 3.85 or over 3.9. I don't see how the 50/50 split can make a big difference!

Good luck everyone

So basically if you have the stats to get into ottawa u....u might as well apply to Harvard and Yale?

yes but then if it was 50:50 would it not then throw out the schools mission to select applicants from different regions..... Im not saying that ottawa residents or those from that region have lower gpa's necessarily but they do have a lower cutoff..... so those with the lower gpa at cutoffs would be at a disadvantage correct? The school must have some sort of scaling or something if they are doing 50:50 to live up to their 'mission' stated on the preference of applicants.

Hi everyone, OttawaU replied back and the new scoring scheme uses 90% interview and 10% wgpa for the final rankings. I'm kinda dissapointed about the weight given to the wgpa but I know many others will be happy with it like this. I'm an english applicant btw.

Really? Well, thanks for the update.

I wonder what the point is if it's only 10%.

I wonder what the point is if it's only 10%.

You had to have a high GPA to get the interview. As posted above, we all probably have similar GPA's as compared to other schools with lower cutoffs. So once they have all academically competent applicants, the next logical step I guess would be to assess their personality and communication skills. And even our abs come into play assuming you (or the interviewer) bring them up in the interview. So basically the 90% interview score is based on you having a high enough GPA, your communication skills, your experiences, etc.

too bad those schools consider more than just GPA.....

Exactly. I know a girl who had 3.71 cumulative GPA and who got accepted into Columbia and Stanford Medical School. She wouldn't even have made the GPA cutoff for most Ontario schools. She had wonderful extracurricular activities, including 2 prestigious national scholarships and research experience.

we all probably have similar GPA's as compared to other schools with lower cutoffs.

i would like to add that personally, i see a great deal of difference between a 3.90 and a 3.99. for me that is like comparing 3.3 and 3.7. to earn a higher gpa, it does not take a proportionally higher effort. i think the effort increases exponentially. i feel that it is worth recognizing a difference between the two, and i am not sure weighting gpa at 10% does that.

nevertheless, like someone said above, we'll find out in a couple of days so no need to fret over it ;)

I totally agree with Xone. 10% gpa weighting is so negligible... I think they should have gone with a 33/33/33 split with sketch/interview/gpa...that makes far more sense. I said it once and I'll say it again...I've seen some students get into Ottawa who are below average academically...this 90% interview sure favours them...I'm a bit disgruntled by some of the people that get into Ottawa meds because I truly feel that there are many others who are much more capable academically and behaviourally. I think the traditional interview is ridiculous since it is so unreliable (studies have clearly shown this)...and from personal experience I can say that my interview performance has truly varied depending on the interviewers...and I'm sure my scores have reflected that performance...

If the adcomm wants to rely on interview scores they should at least have a standard process like the MMI. How can the traditional interview be fair if there are several different interview panels...each asking different questions...each having a different chemistry with each different applicant...anyways...I'm just letting off some steam...we find out in a few days and we can't change the system...good luck to everyone...if it doesn't happen this year I truly believe that our time will come if we're truly passionate about this profession...

Zuck

Hi every one, I hope the waiting is not going too slow:confused: . I am fist yr meds and almost ready to go home. We actually got a plan for your orientation week this week. So hang in there. Emails are coming. Just had a comment reading the scoring system . I think maybe getting into medical school need high GPA just because it is a much easier tool to filter a lot of people and show the capacity of the student to do well academically. This changes as son as you are med student. Getting a high mark has a very small effect on the type of residency you will get into and the type of doctor you may be. The reason for this is the fact that, the exams are pretty subjective, they may have some random, non-clinical question which you may not do very well and vise versa. Or simply you may like one subject more than the other and do well on one and not on the other one. About the traditional type on interview, i think is even more objective than MMI, since three independent people give a mark and even if one of them don't like you will have the other two...any way, i think it is a bit late for this discussion. The names are selected and offers are out in less than a week.

Good luck

Sara

Sara KJ

I totally agree with Xone. 10% gpa weighting is so negligible... I think they should have gone with a 33/33/33 split with sketch/interview/gpa...that makes far more sense. I said it once and I'll say it again...I've seen some students get into Ottawa who are below average academically...this 90% interview sure favours them...I'm a bit disgruntled by some of the people that get into Ottawa meds because I truly feel that there are many others who are much more capable academically and behaviourally. I think the traditional interview is ridiculous since it is so unreliable (studies have clearly shown this)...and from personal experience I can say that my interview performance has truly varied depending on the interviewers...and I'm sure my scores have reflected that performance...

If the adcomm wants to rely on interview scores they should at least have a standard process like the MMI. How can the traditional interview be fair if there are several different interview panels...each asking different questions...each having a different chemistry with each different applicant...anyways...I'm just letting off some steam...we find out in a few days and we can't change the system...good luck to everyone...if it doesn't happen this year I truly believe that our time will come if we're truly passionate about this profession...

Zuck

Do you really feel someone with a bare minimum cutoff of ~3.86 is 'below average' academically?

I do not see what the big deal is. The lowest wGPA for out of Ottawa non-french speaking person is somewhere between 3.84-3.87. You're saying they're below average versus someone with a 3.95? Do you honestly think there's that big of a difference academically between those 2 candidate?

Hey Talon01,

I didn't mean to offend anyone. I truly am a bit disgruntled though...I guess my premed frustration is in the way a little bit...I admit...I'm finding it tremendously hard to get in.

However, I know for a fact a few students getting into this school that I must say...I'm very very surprised got in. I don't want to extend my argument too much...I just want to add... yes, 3.86 is a very good gpa...I was talking about some of those that get in from the Ottawa region...when you think of it...a 3.6gpa (Ottawa resident cutoff) is really low compared to most med applicants...there are thousands with such a gpa. I know, academics are not everything and I think they had a very strong interview to get in. But I don't think interview should be everything either...that's all I'm saying really. Anyways, luck is important in the process as well. I wish everyone good luck :)

Zuck

Hey Talon01,

I didn't mean to offend anyone. I truly am a bit disgruntled though...I guess my premed frustration is in the way a little bit...I admit...I'm finding it tremendously hard to get in.

However, I know for a fact a few students getting into this school that I must say...I'm very very surprised got in. I don't want to extend my argument too much...I just want to add... yes, 3.86 is a very good gpa...I was talking about some of those that get in from the Ottawa region...when you think of it...a 3.6gpa (Ottawa resident cutoff) is really low compared to most med applicants...there are thousands with such a gpa. I know, academics are not everything and I think they had a very strong interview to get in. But I don't think interview should be everything either...that's all I'm saying really. Anyways, luck is important in the process as well. I wish everyone good luck :)

Zuck

Oh I am not offended at all. I honestly understand your frustrating with the process, I have been through it a few times. I'm sure you already realize but since most applicants to Ottawa have such strong GPAs I really feel it's the outside of academic stuff that will make or break you. What are they looking for? Who knows! In all likelihood it probably varies with whoever is reviewing your application.

I do wish you the best of luck in reaching your goals!

Archived