Premed 101 Forums

Deferral vs. Waitlist & Waitlist Movement

First, please DO NOT ask questions in the accepted/rejected threads - start a new thread for this. The accepted/rejected thread is ONLY for posting your results.

Deferral = all files have not yet been reviewed and the admissions committee is not ready to make a "final decision" on your file. Your file will be reviewed again and a decision will be made when all remaining files have been reviewed.

Waitlist = all files have been reviewed and your application has not made the top 81 (for maritime students) or 9 (for OOP). It is better than a rejection.

Deferral and waitlist are different so you can't say one is better than the other. With deferral no final decision has been made and with waitlist a decision has been made. Both involve more waiting.

Waitlist movement for OOPs will most likely be seen after May 15th as Ontario schools will release their decisions on that day as will other schools across the country around that time. Waitlist can continue to move up until the first week of school as students accept at other schools or change their minds etc. and spots become available. I *think* the waitlist made it to #16 for OOP last year.

In addition to what Madz has said, OOP files are never deferred. Since there are only 50, they are all reviewed and decisions made over a couple of meetings. Decisions are all mailed at once, so the OOP waitlist is set from the outset. As Madz said, there is often a lot of waitlist movement mid-May, but it can and does continue to move throughout the summer. One person in the first year class heard very late in the summer last year.

For in-Maritime applicants, deferral happens when your file has been reviewed, but they are not convinced you are in the top 81, so they leave your file to be re-reviewed at the end, once they have had a chance to review the ENTIRE pool.

In addition to what Madz has said, OOP files are never deferred. Since there are only 50, they are all reviewed and decisions made over a couple of meetings. Decisions are all mailed at once, so the OOP waitlist is set from the outset. As Madz said, there is often a lot of waitlist movement mid-May, but it can and does continue to move throughout the summer. One person in the first year class heard very late in the summer last year.

For in-Maritime applicants, deferral happens when your file has been reviewed, but they are not convinced you are in the top 81, so they leave your file to be re-reviewed at the end, once they have had a chance to review the ENTIRE pool.

Does anyone know when approximately deferrals are supposed to start hearing this year? (ie. how many mailings are left for first-time reviewed applicants) Say the last regular mailing is May 30th, then will they not mail again until the end of June or will it be as soon as they are done?

Thanks in advance!

Does anyone know when approximately deferrals are supposed to start hearing this year? (ie. how many mailings are left for first-time reviewed applicants) Say the last regular mailing is May 30th, then will they not mail again until the end of June or will it be as soon as they are done?

Thanks in advance!

Last year I got my deferral mid-may and my acceptance mid-june.

• 2 weeks later...

I find the whole defferal thing so bizarre, but anyways, the way I look at it, if you are deferred you are most likely going to be waitlisted, although in Madz's case this wasn't so. Either way, does anyone know once the waitlist is set, whether there are separate waitlists for the three maritime provinces, or just one big waitlist. Also, does anyone know how many people are typically waitlisted and how many people are typically waitlisted? It's been since February since i've heard from Dal so I feel pretty out of the loop, but I'm holding onto the small chance that good news might surface at some point.

I believe last year they had separate waitlists. I have no idea whether or not it will be like that this year.

Usually they say that the Dal's waitlist doesn't move much...top 10 maybe? I can't say for sure...it might help to look at last year's waitlist movement threads.

Archived