Premed 101 Forums

Athabasca University Degree

I'm wondering if anyone has got into medical school with a degree from Athabasca. What are the courses like? I would want to do a degree where there would be no labs because I'm not even sure how that would work with an online university. From the few Ont. Schools that I looked at, they all wanted applicants to have a four year degree over the 3 year version

Hi there everyone!

Im graduating with a 4 year degree from Athabasca University. I was wondering if I would be able to apply to Medical schools in Canada?

Im graduating with a B.A so I have not taken any science classes yet through Athabasca, does anyone know what the University does in regards to the lab component of a class?

Any help is appreciated.

Cheers!:)

I was just browsing the Athabasca University website, and all the pre-med courses have a 'take home lab component'.(The university sends you all the required things to complete the labs at home). Would that satisfy the lab requirement for med school admissions?

Thanks again!

I was just browsing the Athabasca University website, and all the pre-med courses have a 'take home lab component'.(The university sends you all the required things to complete the labs at home). Would that satisfy the lab requirement for med school admissions?

Thanks again!

Only physics and gen chem I have a take-home lab. All other chem has labs. I just finished some o-chem labs today, in fact.

So the labs at Athabasca do satisfy the lab requirement for medical schools?

I had asked that question before as well ... and the "consensus" is that you should check with the school that you are thinking of applying to. The admissions office should be able to tell u exactly whether a certain lab component is acceptable or not. I've asked Queen's before and they said yes to the Athabasca labs. However, I would suggest just making a few phone calls to the schools ... :cool:

I plan on taking 5 courses. i have my science background but just dont have the gpa for canadian med schools. the BA from athabasca is a possibility. i also heard you can challenge some of the exams depending on your major

I recently completed four chemisrty courses at Athabasca. UBC med reccomended the university for its flexibility. First, you must be motivated to do well adn stick to the timetable you set out. Second, only one of the chem courses had a home lab, the other three required me to fly to Edmonton or Calgary ( I made four trips in approx. 10 weeks ). Finally, you must have a good grasp of major themes in chemistry to do well as chemistry is not easily taught over the phone.

I enjoyed the courses and earned very good grades. I currently work full-time as a chiropractor and have a family but found plenty of time to complete the courses (the home lab was a pain in the a$$). My main complaint is the Athabasca converts the percentage grade to a letter grade on the transcript and UBC automatically uses the lowest percentage of that grade to convert back to percent. This cost me about 2 percent overall for the prereq score, hopefully no big deal. I guess i will find out on Tuesday.

shaka

A = 85% at UBC

A+ = 90% at UBC

Stupid system. Letter grades are so 1982. I remember in elementary school getting G for good, S for satisfactory and N for needs improvement. I think that system works better than A, B, C, D etc...

shaka

Archived