Premed 101 Forums

U of T rejected me because of my religion?

Actually, my plan is to get overseas asap, as the people are greatly in need of the Gospel... if I graduate debt-free, it's that much easier, but now that I think about it, money is not a good reason, and I have not made any commitments to military training.

Go to the US, south... do a DO degree.. you can run arround and preach the gospel all you want. WOW!!! Again.. that is what I am going to say.. cause it is nicer than other things.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply
WOW!!! is probably the most I should say. I spend 3 min reading this thread.. and I really wish Jesus can give me that 3 min back.... now 5 min since I replied.

If you started every sentence with Jesus said.. or did .. or was...in your essay that is most likely why you got rejected.

The fact that you did start medical school and drop out is only a BIG RED FLAG FOR ADMISSION. With people with great qualifications applying... some with even PhDs competing for the spots.. I would stop playing the blame game.

Side note: Religion belongs inside your home and your head.. and doesn't involve preaching to me... I kindly say no thank you and walk away. I am sorry you got sucked into this brainwashing business. Did I read this right, you converted from Islam??!!!?? WOW :eek:

However, I will be productive and suggest DO degree for you. They are mostly catholic, and really good at believing in spirtual stuff and all that praying with your patient stuff.

Seriously? That's what the DO is about? Eeks...I'm really non-religious, don't think I can handle that. Forget that DO then.

well not completely... but part of it is! One class we had a couple of lecture on spirtuality.. but they refused to call it religion... then they added faith.. but refused to call it religion.. everything else about DO program is the same... but they suck in a bunch of people into some of the rare practices of energy and body energy and all that hoop la. But.. they are always crying that they have been done wrong all these years and how MDs have placed block roads infront on DOs for many years.. but they crossed the desert and they made it... Of course this varies from school to school...I am perticularely sensitive to being preached to.. and all that BS. Let the past.. be the past and make the best of things now....

Paulos.. please go spread the word in Iraq.. I think they are in major need for being saved.

Guest mdhopefully

Iv just been following this thread and there seems to be alot of BS floating around. Paulos so you where baptized as Jew, (Paulos, "I was baptized in a Messianic Jewish synagogue"), then converted to Islam, then converted to Christianity? How long till you convert to another religion? Maybe every time you go on a missionary mission to another region you might be the one who gets converted to the local religion eh? If you maybe wrote your essay in this type of light where you keep switching faiths cause you keep "discovering" theres a better one maybe the adcoms thought you might switch degrees like you switch religions (this theme seems to shine on you since you did drop out of med school to pursue better interest)? Just a thought.

Yeah I don't like getting preached to either =( I don't have anything against religion, I reallydon't--it's just that I just get sensitive when people try to force it on me or tell me I'm going to hell/any other morbid place just because I am "not a follower".

Just the other day, two Jehovah people wouldn't leave and I almost had to shut the door on them. Things like that, I don't like.

Yeah I don't like getting preached to either =( I don't have anything against religion, I reallydon't--it's just that I just get sensitive when people try to force it on me or tell me I'm going to hell/any other morbid place just because I am "not a follower".

Just the other day, two Jehovah people wouldn't leave and I almost had to shut the door on them. Things like that, I don't like.

Now imagine if that were your doctor.

I'd be interested in seeing some sort of documentation of thier claims: how many are children of alumni? what basis is there for the jew/non-jew claim of discrimination?
That thread is absolutely ridiculous; someone looking for arbitrary reasons to claim that they were rejected. The U of T medicine student body is racially diverse and reflects the applicant pool. The essays are reviewed by various faculty members and various medical students, and whether or not people are invited for an interview is based on their recommendation. Then the interviewers are different medical students and faculty members, and again whether or not people are invited for admission is based on their recommendation. It is simply impossible for this kind of bias to exist; you'd be claiming a vast conspiracy among the huge number of people involved in the process. It just isn't possible.

I reviewed applications of individuals who were later accepted whose applications involved discussions of involvement in church activities and so on. I am quite sure there are numerous U of T medical students who likewise discussed their faith in their applications. To those that are reading this thread and worrying about their own applications and how their faith or lack thereof is going to affect their applications: relax, it won't.

I don't know why I feel the need to contribute to this thread, but I feel drawn in. I'll add my two cents, in case anyone is interested.

All Canadians are guaranteed access to quality, universal health care. I believe that the admissions boards to these universities are justified in rejecting your application if they feel that your religion is a threat to the quality of the health care which our country provides. By this I mean that if you are even a fraction as zealous in real life about your religious beliefs as you are on this forum, I would be inclined to think that this attitude would make patients (in general) uncomfortable with you.

The religious people who make good doctors are ones who adopt the secular code promoted by this country. They keep their beliefs a private issue and offer health care to patients irrespective of their personal feelings about the patient or the patient's behavior. I strongly believe that this secular code of conduct is what allows for the diversity of our country to peacefully coexist with those of other faiths.

It seems the question boils down to this:

Which authority is correct?

For some, it is that nebulous term 'society'.

For the true disciples of Christ, it was God.

You must choose, but choose wisely, because the ultimate judge is not people but Jesus Christ himself, whom so many deny, or claim to follow, but do not think others worthy to share in eternal life, and so deny the right of others to hear the good news.

PREACHING IS NOT A SIN NOR A CRIME, SILENCING THE PREACHER IS.

You must choose, but choose wisely, because the ultimate judge is not people but Jesus Christ himself, whom so many deny, or claim to follow, but do not think others worthy to share in eternal life, and so deny the right of others to hear the good news.

We never try to convert you into an atheist. Why the hell do you want to convert us to your religion? This is no better than spam. Yes, I can ignore it, but all that crap cluttered in my inbox gets annoying!

If you can be respectful of other people's beliefs, maybe you will be mature enough to deserve a spot in med school, heaven forbid :rolleyes:

Clearly, the admissions committees aren't trying to silence you. It is obvious that whether or not you practice medicine, you'll be preaching. I think that what the different medical schools realized was that they didn't want to institutionalize preaching since, in essence, that is what they'd be doing by giving you a spot in med school. This whole idea of converting people to other faiths goes against the secular beliefs our country (thankfully) promotes.

People are entitled to their beliefs, just as you are entitled yours. Like clkt said, atheists don't try to convert you into an atheist... so why do you feel compelled to convert them into believers? Don't try to impose your beliefs on somebody else.

I would like to say that I think this thread is ridiculous, and I had no clue there was a second thread like this... I highly doubt that UT rejects anybody because of religion. If they feel that religion, however, interferes with your ability to practice medicine (in ways such as imposing your beliefs on your patients...), of course they are going to reject you.

There are many other qualified people who are going to get rejected, and there are innumerable reasons why.

I was going to post a message entitled, "Why I hope paulos never sees a patient," but then I decided he'd best use his time to read the following books (or at least their synopses):

Richard Dawkins' The God Delusion

Sam Harris' Letter to a Christian Nation

Christopher Hitchens' God is Not Great: How Religion Poisons Everything

Religion does not poison everything. Extreme religion does so.

There are many great aspects of religion, and may great values instilled in much of religion.

Ironically, as much as I'm not religious, I actually volunteer for the church, and I find it interesting to listen to services. I do believe it's great to have that faith, but it's just not for me because I don't believe in it.

I think it's sad that extremists discredit religion even more and turns people off even more.

I've been writing only to say what HannaLee has already said rather well. :)

But I can see how in a person's mind, one's faith supercedes all. But even according to that faith, I'm not sure how your words are justified, Paulos.

Jesus was a pauper by choice, I believe.

And in any case, I never understood preaching or evangelizing - Jesus spoke to people who came to Him, talked to those who wanted to listen to Him, and served all. He gave to those what belonged to them, coins to the Caesar, dignity to the oppressed, life to those on the verge of living.

I don't remember Jesus griping about not getting accepted by the Pharisees into their order. In fact, I don't remember Him ever applying, or considering joining the Zealots to support His career or really doing anything except living a life that served all and judged none. He didn't waste time on arguing prejudice, or building cultures that often divide the truth that should span across. He didn't dwell on the actions of others. He spoke to what each of us can do for each other.

One of the smartest people I ever met said that if you put Moses, Jesus, Muhammad, Zoroaster and Buddha together in the same room, they'd probably get along famous. But put their followers in the same room and they'd kill each other. I'm thinking its because the former wouldn't have alot to say or convince each other of while the later would have nothing less than everything.

Reciting scripture, pushing a particular way of seeing the life within lives seems to me petty and small compared to the working towards the universal truth each prophet testifies - that noble and selfless love that can only be found being each other's keeper. If you so love God, you would work towards serving Him in anyway possible, not complaining that you're not getting the chances you - and only you - think you need.

Do it for God, you say. May we all honour our faith and our beliefs. May we all walk our own talk.

THANK YOU for replying with incredible insight and eloquence. This is probably the best response thus far.

Good advice for Christians: Never mention you religion in this country.

Although it's sad and doesn't feel right, if you want to achieve something in this life, it has to be done.

I really do not think that is true, at all.

It's not religion that's the problem, it's the way religious people treat others because of their religion.

It seems a little bit absurd to me that medical schools would reject Christian students. According to the 2001 Canadian Census, 70% (that is 7 out of 10) people identified themselves as Christian (43% of whom were Roman Catholic). Roman Catholics are the largest religious group in the country.

I don't see why medical schools would discriminate against the vast majority of the population. In all likelihood, quite a large number of the members of the admissions committee are also Christian. Even if their is a slightly smaller percentage of Christian students in medical school than in the general public, that would probably still be a significant majority.

It seems that either your application is not so great as you might think it is, or you come across as highly offensive either in your essay or your interviews.

Also, please don't make rude, sweeping comments about doctors or people in general. It is not in your place to judge other people - that is for their own conscience and God.

Archived