Premed 101 Forums

WAITLIST Letter

Hey All,

As some of you I'm stuck on the waitlist. It sucks I know. I heard that last year two different letters were sent to people depending on your waitlist position. I want to see if the same is the case for this year.

Below is the letter I got, tell me if your's is the same or different.

The Faculty of Medicine has sent offers of admission to some applicants and

refusal letters to others. Although we have made offers to fill all of the

positions available in our class, it is possible that a number of the

applicants to whom we have offered admission may not accept. We have

retained your application for further consideration should such vacancies

arise.

We do not expect to make any further offers of admission until the end of

June. After that time offers will be made as places become available, and

this process will continue until our class has been filled. If you have

moved, please ensure that we have on file your new address and a telephone

number (home and/or business) where you may be reached during business

hours. Please send this information to us in writing, as well as informing

OMSAS.

I know that you are very anxious about the outcome of your application to

medical school but at this time we cannot give you any further information

about the status of your application. I assure you that we will convey the

final decision on your application as soon as we are able.

Sincerely,

M. Shandling, M.D., FRCP©

Associate Dean, Admissions & Student Finance

Faculty of Medicine, University of Toronto

same

I believe they send out rejections, since they said "The Faculty of Medicine has sent offers of admission to some applicants and refusal letters to others". But are there no good and bad waitlists as in the previous years?

Hey,

Sorry to hear you have been waitlisted. To give you guys some hope, there were 62 people who came off the waitlist in 2004/2005 and 69 people who came off the waitlist in 2005/2006. On top of that, there will be people who will defer their entry (14 ppl deferred in 2005/2006). So there's still hope.

Last year the bad letters had a phrase that said something like this: "As the possibilty of being accepted depends on other students, you are strongly urged to make alternate arrangements should we be unable to offer you admission. " I'm not sure if the wording is exactly the same but it was something like that. The good waitlist letters lacked this statment.

Maybe this year no one has this phrase or all of us have good letters. Hopefully the latter. Good luck to all by the way.

theoretically speaking, what if someone were pulled off the waiting list for western but were also near the top of u of t's waitlist but didn't know their exact position...wouldn't that mean you'd have to possibly give up your chance at u of t if they take that long to call people off of their wait list?

theoretically speaking, what if someone were pulled off the waiting list for western but were also near the top of u of t's waitlist but didn't know their exact position...wouldn't that mean you'd have to possibly give up your chance at u of t if they take that long to call people off of their wait list?

That's exactly what I'm thinking...

Oh well, I have come to the conclusion that med schools are weird :P

As I see it, there are two reasons why we do not see rejections posted.

Firstly and the obvious answer would be U of T did not send out rejections. Last year they said they did sent out rejection letter but as it turned out, everyone was put on the waitlist and if you waitlist letter contained the "extra sentence" then you were pretty well rejected. I am aware that this cause some major issues as students flooded the U of T medical admissions office with calls that caused them post a reply on their website explaining the meaning of the sentecne.

The second reason why we do not see rejections posted would be that people are too embarrassed to post them. To admit that you did not get in is a difficult pill to swallow, especially when everyone who got an interview is more than qualified to be in medical school; if we are being honest some of those who did not get interviews are too.

I agree with you "dr??" The rejections they ellude to on their website and in their waitlist letter seem like the were made preinterview making my first and the most obvious conclusion as to why there are not rejectrions post interview valid.

That being said, I do not see U of T giving false hope to us waitlisters if they feel we have no shot at all to be considered. Last year, they sent out two different types of waitlist letters. One containing a sentence telling the applicant to make alternate plans (a long worded rejection) and one that did not (the more realistic waitlist). This year, there seems to be no "extra sentence". I understand why they did not include that this year since it must have caused mass chaos in the office with people calling in asking the admissions office what that sentence really means.

Questions we should ask:

1)Did U of T put 200 applicants on a waitlist? It seems so.

2)Does U of T have a history in informing the applicant roughly where they are on the waitlist? Yes. They did this last year with the "extra sentence"

3)Did U of T include an extra sentence this year? Not that I am aware of.

4)Last year, the extra sentence resulted in a major headache for the admissions office. Would this prevent them from doing something similiar to the extra sentence? It very well could, but I can not be certain.

5)If U of T did something to inform people where they are on the waitlist, what woud it be? I have no idea. I would guess bolded text. You can refer to my previous posts for more details.

Some good points have been made, but why has no one posted that they got a rejection email post interview yet? It just seems odd to me. Last year, when they sent out the waitlist letters, they also said that they sent out acceptances, waitlists, and rejections. In reality, they did not send out rejections but sent out two types of waitlist letters. One waitlist letter was much better than the other.

Rejections were not sent out until much later in the summer. I believe it was in August when they actually sent their first wave.

oh gosh. i assumed that the "refusals" the waitlist letter said, meant post-interview rejects... now it does seem like everyone who weren't accepted post-interview are placed on waitlist... this is absolutely ridiculous... why would they even do this? :(

so no one knows of anyone who got a refusal letter post-interview?

Unless UofT is flat out lying to us, then the rejected individuals are POST-interview.

Their website says: "Emails have now been sent to all INTERVIEWED applicants, informing them whether they have been refused, waitlisted, or offered admission."

So the rejected individuals are from those that actually attended the interview. Although I don't know how many were actually rejected.

From http://www.facmed.utoronto.ca/programs/md/admissions/0708/update.htm

Admissions Update - May 15, 2007

Emails have now been sent to all interviewed applicants, informing them whether they have been refused, waitlisted, or offered admission.

Offers of Admission

Those offered admission will soon receive an official offer package through regular mail. This package will contain information on next steps, how to accept your offer, as well as information on any conditions which must be met in order to secure your place in our incoming class (e.g., completion of your current degree). Please do not contact us with questions about your offer or conditions until you have received your package and have had a chance to read through it carefully. We expect that the package will contain the answers to your questions.

Waitlist

We will not disclose an applicant's position on the waitlist. Please do not contact us to ask your position, how many people are on the waitlist, or the likelihood of your receiving an offer. We will not respond.

When a space in the class becomes available, the Admissions Office will contact the next person on the waitlist with an offer of admission. We will make repeated attempts to contact applicants from the waitlist who are being offered admission, until contact is made. Offers will be made on an ongoing basis throughout the summer until the class is full. We can in no way predict how far down the waitlist we might go before the class is full.

Refusals

We are unable to comment on the specifics of individual applications or how they might be made more competitive in a future admissions cycle.

I think this is definitive evidence that some applicants were rejected post-interview. The $1,000,000 question is how many ???

My guess is not that many, but I heard from a source close to one of the interviewers that they had 'rejected' a significant number of applicants during each of the interview weekends.

You all have made strong points about rejections being sent. I have read the U of T website that said and did not take too much from it. Here is why:

Last year, they said that they sent refusals (in the letter they sent out), but they did not. They instead sent a different waitlist letter that contained "the sentence". The reason for this? I heard (i.e. no proof that this is true) that two years ago, Queen's and Mac exhausted their waitlist and they had to call people they rejected. To me, it makes sense from their standpoint to do this. It would be a poor reflection of the institution if the people the school wanted in their class refused and they had to accept people they already deemed unacceptable already.

Until we hear of someone who actually received a rejection (not from hearsay), I will be taking the information posted on the U of T website with a grain of salt. As mentioned earlier, the million dollar question is: How many people are on the waitlist? This is a very important piece of information for those who are on it because it will allow us gauage the chances of getting in off it. To illustrate this point with an example, let's assume U of T has 50 people a year who turn down their offer of admission. If there are 100 people on the waitlist, then there is a 50% chance for the people on the waitlist to get in (approximiately the chance for the people who interivewed to get accepted in the first round). If theyre are 200 people on the waitlist, then our chances of getting in off it decreases dramatically, to 25%.

Hopefully, the eople who have been rejected by U of T post interview will kindly post so the people on the waitlist can have some peace of mind and so they can make other plans for the future. I know it sucks to be turned down, but it is much worse to be in limbo.

Archived