Premed 101 Forums

Help!! To Write or not to write American DAT

I am soon applying to US schools are my present Canadian DAT too poor to apply with?

Reading: 18

Biology: 15

Chemistry: 17

Academic Ave: 17

Perception: 16

Carving: 8 - thank god they don't care about this

I can either wait until Nov to write again or write the American one with a chance of doing poor on organic and math?????

Plesase respond!!! I need help what should I do???

Someone else had the stats for DAT scores for US schools in another thread so have a look at that.

My opinion is that you should apply this year but plan on re-writing the DAT in November: although your scores are okay, they're a litte on the low side, aim for 18 and higher in each section. As far as content goes, you're better off with the Canadian DAT, but you really need to focus and comit yourself to studying. Good Luck!

Write the American DAT. You can do it anytime. Your scores are too low. most schools now have cut offs and a 15 in bio is well below the cut. You might, and i mean might, get very lucky and get into 1 school in the US depending on how high your GPA is but i really doubt it. And Nov. DAT scores are way too late. If you want a shot at a good US school, write the US DAT.

The competition in the US is rising. It's no longer as "easy" to get in as it once was. The lower avg DAT scores you see of successful applicants is not accurate as they may be mostly from in-state students (which schools often prefer), their GPA may be a 4.0, or their extra-curricular is very impressive (some ppl write on their apps that they have 500+ hours of dental experience). So yes, definitely re-write the DAT...US version just so you can get your scores right away and decide if you want to register for Canadian DAT in November.

Definitely write the U.S. test now (no later than late July, as I was told by U.S. admissions last year) and write the Canadian one in November for the Canadian schools. Remember, U.S. schools start interviewing very early on, some interview as soon as August (very few...), most are in October and November, and expect to hear back from them in December.

Archived