Premed 101 Forums

Biomedical Engineer - Multiple Issues

I'd say it's a school/program thing that accounts for the different experiences. I'm really surprised U of T doesn't have work terms. In my opinion, they are just as valuable as class time. And they're gold when it comes to landing jobs when you graduate.

As for my GPA: 3.86/4.0 in Mechanical Eng.

Undergrad School: Memorial

MD School: Memorial. Had offers from Dal and Queen's too, but picked MUN in the end.

There are more detailed stats in the MUN accept/reject/waitlist thread.

If you don't mind me asking polly and plough boy and any other engineering students that got into medicine, what your GPA's were? (could you also list what school you will be/are attending)

EE @ UW, GPA 3.3-something

Couple of years of a BA, GPA 3.9-something

I start third year at Western Meds in September.

I'd say it's a school/program thing that accounts for the different experiences. I'm really surprised U of T doesn't have work terms. In my opinion, they are just as valuable as class time. And they're gold when it comes to landing jobs when you graduate.

As for my GPA: 3.86/4.0 in Mechanical Eng.

Undergrad School: Memorial

MD School: Memorial. Had offers from Dal and Queen's too, but picked MUN in the end.

There are more detailed stats in the MUN accept/reject/waitlist thread.

UofT has a work term, its just optional. Its called PEY, usually done after 2nd or 3rd year (you work for a year)

I did Systems Design Eng at Waterloo, graduated in '05. We had tons of design projects, starting off in first year in assigned groups of 5-6, and then finally picking our own groups in later years. Every term, I had at least one design course requiring group work. I'd say we did a lot more group work than most other engineering programs.

We were also ranked for the first 3 years, but I found my class in general very co-operative - people outside the top 5 weren't competing for rank, and the top 5 were always working together anyway, so the rivalry was friendly. Haha, I was *definitely* not in those top five ...

Co-op was priceless for real work experience. Highly recommended for anyone in *any*field.

My undergrad GPA was pretty bad - 3.54/4.0. Grad GPA was much better, but I don't think that's really worth mentioning since they're always pretty high.

UofT has a work term, its just optional. Its called PEY, usually done after 2nd or 3rd year (you work for a year)

Ya, I worked with a few U of T engineers on some of my workterms. The great thing about the year-long placement is that you have the time to compete a really significant project. The downside is that if you wind up working at a sucky place, you're stuck there for a year.

Anyway, back to discussing medicine...

If you don't mind me asking polly and plough boy and any other engineering students that got into medicine, what your GPA's were? (could you also list what school you will be/are attending)

Undergrad GPA: 3.88/4.0 (OMSAS)

Program: Mech Eng at McMaster

Med School: Dalhousie (just finishing up 3rd year) with offers also at Western, Queens & Ottawa

I'm loving all the engineers entering med! Congrats to all accepted this year :D

-GPA: 3.92/4.0, no mcat

-School/program: UofT Elec. Eng.

-only applied at Mac., first/only app. anywhere

I also know someone who did Elec. Eng. at McGill with a ~3.7/4.0 (don't know OMSAS) and MCAT < 30 and is at UofT med.

--------

Mac. Meds. 2010 --

That's right - not mandatory - what I should have said. Waterloo (where my brother was) has about four months per year, mandatory. Big difference I found, as the vast majority of ppl. in my class didn't do choose to do PEY. It was a good year off from school for me ;)

• 5 weeks later...
you guys are so encouraging.....thanks thanks

did my mcat yesterday....no comments till i get the score.......absolutely no comments...

except that verbal was bad...

Don't sweat it. I thought my BS was bad...I still managed a 10.

• 3 weeks later...

oh oops...seems like we have a group of extremely hard working people here...

well yes I am lazy. I am used to working little and achieving more, doesn't work for MCAT though.

Got the scores btw, as expected verbal killed.

VR: 8

PS: 13

BS: 11

WS: Q

32Q

I guess my chances at UofT are already "jeopardized" because of that verbal

• 3 months later...
I am a long time wanderer and first time poster......I am in 1st year of Engineering Science....I was hoping to take the biomed route into medicine. Is this smart? or an expensive waste of time?

I'm in second year biochem eng., I wouldn't say it's an expensive waste of time at all. You will gain invaluable design, communication and problem solving skills throughout your education....The only advice I could give as a second year is pick the stream that your most interested in, don't just pick biomed because it has med in the name. I've met many people who have combined mechancial, chemical, and even electrical with medicine and do just fine. Also the thing about picking a stream your intested in as is repeated thousands of times on this fourm is that you'll get better marks and you'll be prepaired if medicine doesn't work out. Best of Luck to you!

• 9 months later...
I am a long time wanderer and first time poster......I am in 1st year of Engineering Science....I was hoping to take the biomed route into medicine. Is this smart? or an expensive waste of time?

I'm an Nsci biomed graduate myself. Do not do Nsci biomed if you find yourself struggling in your first year. Chances are that if you don't do well in your first year even if you've put in the effort, you're not likely to significantly improve in later years. Get out ASAP if medicine is your ultimate goal because your GPA will hurt you. Don't stay in Nsci because of pride (which is what I did).

If you're not loving Nsci but are interested in biomed eng, consider switching to other disciplines that give you the option of doing a biomed minor (e.g. chem eng, elec, etc). In fact, I think this is the better option because I often feel that the Nsci biomedical program doesn't fully prepare students for a career in biomedical engineering (most continue on with grad school if they want to stay in the field). If you study in another discipline, however, you have an easier time getting a job if medicine fails. Even if down the road, you decide that you're interested in biomedical research, you're still not at a disadvantage if you only did a biomed minor; I know people from other engineering disciplines who are now doing grad school in biomed, and they're doing great. In short, a degree in a traditional engineering discipline with a bio minor gives you more options.

On the other hand, if you're enjoying and thriving in the program, then go for it!

• 1 year later...

Archived