Premed 101 Forums

Accommodations: Places to Avoid & Places to Seek?

What streets are you referring to? Can you give the boundary streets of the area you are referring to? MapQuest doesn't show where the hospitals are located, so I'm not quite sure what are you are recommending.

Thanks!

Elaine

Hi!

The area I'm talking about is mid-way between the main campus and west campus. The hospital I mentioned, St. Mary's on the Lake, is between King and Union and borders on Ellerbeck. There isn't too much cheap housing for sale in this area (as you move further away from campus, things get a little cheaper), but there are some student rentals mixed here and there.

There is also a nice little grocery store (Bearance's) in the area so you don't have to starve in between trips to Loblaws. If you have a family, or just want to have a life away from Queen's, I'd recommend checking this area out.

If anyone has any questions about buying a house in Kingston, neighborhoods or even specific streets, I'm more than happy to try to answer them.

North-of-Princess isn't that bad. I've lived on York at Barrie since October (four blocks north of Princess), and I haven't had a problem. It's a 15-minute walk to class, and it's close to the hub.

I'm paying $800 monthly for a two-bedroom apartment, including heat/water. That's pretty freakin' great.

There are some sketchy types around here, but they're harmless. I haven't heard much about break-ins, and if you're leaving your bike out on the street, you're silly, regardless of the neighbourhood. Don't entirely discount NOP. Take a look around where the place is—during the day and the night—to see if it's not so bad.

Are you referring to the Homestead apartments close to the water downtown? Here is a link for the different apartments available:

http://www.homestead.on.ca/kingston/waterfrontarea/waterfrontarea.htm

32 Ontario (Lord Sydenham):

1 bedroom - from $905 including utilities

2 bedroom - from $1160 including utilities

33 Ontario (Shipyards):

Bachelor - from $658 including utilities

1 bedroom - from $898 including utilities

2 bedroom - from $1049 including utilities

3 bedroom - from $2045 including utilities

64 Ontario (Caravel):

1 bedroom - from $875 including utilities

2 bedroom - from $1075 including utilities

91 King St E (Simcoe):

Bachelor - from $564 plus hydro

1 bedroom - from $971 plus hydro

2 bedroom - from $1055 plus hydro

3 bedroom - from $1352 plus hydro

85 Ontario (Locomotive Works)

New building - no prices posted

1 bedroom, 1 bedroom + den, 2 bedroom and 2 bedroom + den available

Utilities not included

Hope that helps!

Elaine

i sincerely think u are the most helpful person i have ever met in my life...from my experience from these boards...i hope some day i can be of service to you for all ur research and stuff

Archived