Premed 101 Forums

Reference and Application

Guest DHP62

Hi everyone (particularly the moderators)

One of my references has still not been submitted (I know, I know...its the profs fault...I'm a LITTLE stressed)

I called OMSAS and they said that my application has been forwarded to all the schools, despite being incomplete. They said once the reference is received, they will send it along. It is now up to each school individually how to deal with the situation.

Since Mac moderators are saying they've started reading, appearently the apps have been received by each respective school. Moderators, can any of you shed some light on how your school will deal with apps that still have outstanding references? For Western/Queens, does it really matter since the first round is just cutoffs? For Mac, do you think my app is in the pile currently being read? Ottawa and UofT, any thoughts?! :)

Thanks for any input...

Wishing my app was complete,

DHP

Guest UWOMED2005

I can NOT guarantee this, but I think you're fine for Western. First, a friend of mine who applied a couple of years back had a (long and complicated) issue with transcripts not being sent in on time, and UWO ended up listening to her side of things and granted her an interview. Second, I'm not sure UWO even looks at the reference letters, so from that perspective I think you're fine as well.

Who reads our reference letters, actually? Does the same student who marks our essays read our references? Does this vary by school? For some reason I only pictured profs reading the references. I imagine that it would be fun to read references. :)

Guest WesternGirl

At Mac, we did not receive any reference letters with the essays, so students are not reading them (at least at this stage). I honestly don't know if anyone reads them - perhaps they make more of a difference in the interview stage. Or perhaps in the final assessment?

When the mac admissions guy came to give a talk at my school, he mentioned references when he was talking about the final tally. He was saying something about distinguishing between people by finding out if they're a team player, or totally focussed on research (which he said was bad), or whatever, based on references, and that that could help in the final tally. Which I guess makes you think that there's more to the final computation than just percentiles on everything.

Your missing reference should not affect your application to UWO....(I don't think). I don't think that Western EVER looks at your reference letters.....however, I am not sure if they sort out 'incomplete' applications....you might want to give the admissions office a call to be sure....and make sure that you get it in as soon as possible.

Archived