Premed 101 Forums

Complaining about admissions - moved posts

Accepted

Obviously I am very happy and relieved but I simply cannot get over how much of a crapshoot the entire admission process is. I cannot believe how much the MCAT is weighted and how unfair the advantage is to those who can take the entire summer off and devote their lives to it because they are supported by their parents. I also do not agree with not examining the difficulty of one's degree relative to that of other applicants because clearly all things are not considered equal. I also firmly believe that employment should be considered more of a factor in the process rather than an ignorant focus on academics.

I also think the interview process is extremely subjective and lacks standardization based on different panel members looking for different criteria. The three standardized questions also screw over individuals who do not know what they actually are prior to their interview because they are too honourable to find them out or lack the connections to do so.

I am sitting here very irate and upset with the fact that three excellent candidates that I know of will not be in the class of 2011. I know they are my friends and I am obviously extremely biased, but they are great people whom I believe would be excellent doctors and would trust them as professionals and moral human beings.

I am clearly not pleased with the decisions made this year and sadly this has probably happened many times before and will continue to happen unless the U of M adopts a more holistic approach in their selection of applicants.

That being said, congratulations too all those who got in and best of luck to all of those on the waitlist and to next year's applicants. It's honestly a coin toss and one of these times it's going to go your way just as it did mine.

I think that was nice of you to say. I would definately have to agree with you and thanks for the well wishes. Congratulations on getting in!

Accepted

B.Sc from U of M with GPA ~4.3

MCAT 10.5 with a 34N 12/10/12

EC's

Intramural sports -Hockey, soccer, ultimate, football

Volunteering at a hospital for 3 years

Student council for 2 years

Lots of other things -Piano, Swing Dancing, etc.

Employment

TA'ing -Biology, Biochemistry, Biology

NSERC URSA

Roger's Video

Bluenotes :eek:

Obviously I am very happy and relieved but I simply cannot get over how much of a crapshoot the entire admission process is. I cannot believe how much the MCAT is weighted and how unfair the advantage is to those who can take the entire summer off and devote their lives to it because they are supported by their parents. I also do not agree with not examining the difficulty of one's degree relative to that of other applicants because clearly all things are not considered equal. I also firmly believe that employment should be considered more of a factor in the process rather than an ignorant focus on academics.

I also think the interview process is extremely subjective and lacks standardization based on different panel members looking for different criteria. The three standardized questions also screw over individuals who do not know what they actually are prior to their interview because they are too honourable to find them out or lack the connections to do so.

I am sitting here very irate and upset with the fact that three excellent candidates that I know of will not be in the class of 2011. I know they are my friends and I am obviously extremely biased, but they are great people whom I believe would be excellent doctors and would trust them as professionals and moral human beings.

I am clearly not pleased with the decisions made this year and sadly this has probably happened many times before and will continue to happen unless the U of M adopts a more holistic approach in their selection of applicants.

That being said, congratulations too all those who got in and best of luck to all of those on the waitlist and to next year's applicants. It's honestly a coin toss and one of these times it's going to go your way just as it did mine.

DC...I agree with you. U of M needs to consider a more holistic approach. They are interviewing people who may not realistically stand a chance, not interviewing people who do stand a chance, and rejecting those who clearly have the intelligence, competence, and dedication to the field. It's sad.

To some degree I do understand the frustration some people have with the application process. On the other hand, competition is stiff. Do you have any reason to believe that less qualified people were accepted as compared to your friends that were rejected? Unless you have reason to think this I don't really see your argument. Space is limited and you will see in september what the accepted students are like. Wait until then before you pass judgements on the class. I've known very capable applicants in the past who were rejected.

I do believe that the interview process may be unfair due to those things already mentioned: standardized questions, different criteria for different panels etc. I myself did not ask anyone for questions and was asked a few things that threw me off. I do think it tested my ability to formulate ideas and express them on the spot (a valuable asset to any doctor). Some people just aren't good communicators, as much as they think they are (and may have overestimated their performance in the interview). I do believe though that there are always students that are rejected that have all that it takes to be a capable doctor.

To some degree I do understand the frustration some people have with the application process. On the other hand, competition is stiff. Do you have any reason to believe that less qualified people were accepted as compared to your friends that were rejected? Unless you have reason to think this I don't really see your argument. Space is limited and you will see in september what the accepted students are like. Wait until then before you pass judgements on the class. I've known very capable applicants in the past who were rejected.

I do believe that the interview process may be unfair due to those things already mentioned: standardized questions, different criteria for different panels etc. I myself did not ask anyone for questions and was asked a few things that threw me off. I do think it tested my ability to formulate ideas and express them on the spot (a valuable asset to any doctor). Some people just aren't good communicators, as much as they think they are (and may have overestimated their performance in the interview). I do believe though that there are always students that are rejected that have all that it takes to be a capable doctor.

Equally good points as well.

I am a recent grad (this year) of U of M Med school, I will be starting my

residency in Manitoba this July. I applied to med school for four years straight before I was accepted.

I can completely understand everyone's frustration with the process of

admission, the seemingly "magic formula" for admission, and their lack of understanding of what this "magic formula" may be.

The best advice that I can give to any of those resilient enough to bounce

back for next year's application is:

=> retake your MCAT and improve! this shows your perseverance,

dedication and ability to improve on your previous performance.

=> follow a physician around for a few weeks. This will give you

some idea of how physicians can help people, aside from the ideas

that you have read, formulated independently or been told by other

students. This will also give you real life examples that can be used

specifically during your interviews.

=> be natural, honest and relaxed in your interview.. Don't rehearse too

much for your questions. Students answers then sound very "canned".

=> Do something fun that you can share in your interview. You must show that you can and do have a life away from your education. Don't EC yourself to death, but just be a person. Be a skier, traveller, babysitter, baker, biker or swimmer. Anything, but do it for yourself, not for your application.

I don't mean to sound patronizing or anything and I know that this

thread is about accept/reject but maybe this will help some of you.

Emu, my response was solely due to frustration with the admission process.. Of course I cannot single out individuals who were accepted and nor would I do so. I just think it's unfortunate that clearly deserving individuals who would make excellent doctors are turned away every year for what I believe to be problems that should be addressed but probably never will.

As for the newly registered troll who attempted to ridicule my employment history, I would probably suggest you stop being such a tool and not attack someone who works to pay for their education at a place they enjoy.

I believe that arguments can be made for or against the admissions process at any of the Canadian medical schools. Such arguments strewn all over the Net suggest that no one will ever be truly satisfied with the process by which candidates are accepted.

Personally, I think it's probably for the best that each school's process is slightly (or drastically) different. If you can't / don't like playing the game at one, then try another one. With the diverse backgrounds of applicants there's at least one school where you'll be more competitive. The bottom line, then, becomes how resolute you are on getting in and working on improving your application.

Clearly you know me, although i have no idea who you could be.

Emu, my response was solely due to frustration with the admission process.. Of course I cannot single out individuals who were accepted and nor would I do so. I just think it's unfortunate that clearly deserving individuals who would make excellent doctors are turned away every year for what I believe to be problems that should be addressed but probably never will.

As for the newly registered troll who attempted to ridicule my employment history, I would probably suggest you stop being such a tool and not attack someone who works to pay for their education at a place they enjoy.

lol, the excellent but rejected candidates are probably all licking their wounds right now, but will be ready to bounce back for another try at it next year. They can't keep on rejecting us, right?

I just got a new job this summer - I took a pretty big pay cut ($15 + OT to $8 no OT), but it's what I love to do, so whomever the troll is... take that.

oh my, if u don't mind me asking, what was the $15 + ot job? was it that bad that u would quit it for the $8/hr one?

You enjoyed working at Roger's Video?! Then why didn't you just stay there if you're so bitter about the admissions process? Do you also not think that just about anyone on these boards can pull off your amazing feat? Hey...tell me...when does Transformers come out?

You shouldn't have got involved in this argument. I have no problems with people doing what they like to do...but I'll take issue with the fact when they choose to beat down on other people because they worked at Roger's Video.

I don't recall TurboDC saying anything to beat down other people. From the post, I just remember him/her giving some solid and genuine advice so I don't see what your problem is.

You enjoyed working at Roger's Video?! Then why didn't you just stay there if you're so bitter about the admissions process? Do you also not think that just about anyone on these boards can pull off your amazing feat? Hey...tell me...when does Transformers come out?

You shouldn't have got involved in this argument. I have no problems with people doing what they like to do...but I'll take issue with the fact when they choose to beat down on other people because they worked at Roger's Video.

WTF are you talking about. You totally misunderstood something here.:confused:

Hey annoyedperson,

I guess that you will make a really good doctor some day with the

terrific amount of understanding and compassion that you show others.

Maybe you should look into helping more people with your cheery outlook,

terrific personality and friend winning ways. You will be very happy

helping people to grow to understand and cope with the diseases that

afflict them. I am also sure that you will be very easy to work with

and understanding of those people that help you take care of your patients.

or maybe not??

:(

This thread or forum isn't really the place to discuss and disrespect each other. It is starting to annoy me that people are complaining are admissions processes. When you apply you know what to expect regarding weighting for MCAT, GPA and other. If that is how the school wishes to judge applicants and you don't like it, then don't apply. Also, things happen. Get over it. Maybe your friends aren't as qualified as the others. Don't be quick to judge. Maybe an interview went wrong, maybe a reference said a bad thing. Potential doctors shouldn't be bickering with each other over silly matters either. If you treat your patients that way, every day will be a long one for you.

Please leave this thread for what it was meant to be for.

Hello all,

Just wanted to find out if anybody in this forum has any news about whether the IP waitlist will be/is moving?? I spoke with Beth last week and was told to wait another week to 10 days but the suspense will probably kill me!!! :confused:

This thread or forum isn't really the place to discuss and disrespect each other. It is starting to annoy me that people are complaining are admissions processes. When you apply you know what to expect regarding weighting for MCAT, GPA and other. If that is how the school wishes to judge applicants and you don't like it, then don't apply. Also, things happen. Get over it. Maybe your friends aren't as qualified as the others. Don't be quick to judge. Maybe an interview went wrong, maybe a reference said a bad thing. Potential doctors shouldn't be bickering with each other over silly matters either. If you treat your patients that way, every day will be a long one for you.

Please leave this thread for what it was meant to be for.

I apologize for the offensive nature of my prior remarks. My bad. :D

Archived