Premed 101 Forums

Textbooks for first year: how much will they cost me?

Hey current UWOers,

I'm trying to budget out the coming year, and was wondering how much you spent on textbooks/equipment in your first year? I've heard from some people that they bought few if any texts, and just wanted to confirm this.

Thanks!

Here's what I bought during my first two years, in very round figures...

Stethoscope - $150 -- wait until the equipment sale in the fall to buy it

Netter (anatomy) $100

Rohan (anatomy) $100 -- most people buy one or the other, I bought both

Guyton (physiololgy) $100 -- I didn't have a background in physiology

Dubin (EKGs) < $100 -- some people love it, some people hate it

Toronto Notes $100

Clinical Neuroanatomy Made Ridiculously Simple $50

And that's pretty much it for the books and equipment I bought. I used Harrison's quite frequently in second year, but it's available online, as are many other texts. You get lecture notes/slides for every lecture. They're of mixed quality, but pretty much everything you need is in them.

Flan will send you a letter mid-summer telling you to buy a biochem book. Don't. Also don't buy the genetics text that Dr. Siu, God bless her, recommends.

If you're going to buy a clinical skills textbook, *don't* buy whatever the recommended one is (I'm blanking on the name). There's a British one that a few people in my class whose opinion I really respect spoke highly of, but I forget what it is, too. For clinical I just used the little black U of T book, mostly 'cuz I could carry it on the wards and jot notes in it. It seems to have worked out for me.

I dropped $100 on a nice set of bp cuffs that I'll never use unless I start making house-calls. Don't buy the $$$ panoptic gizswatch optho-oto-roto-rooter thingie, at least not for use in school.

pb

pb, for the clinical text, are you thinking of Talley and O'Connor? I think it is Aussie but it gets my blessing. I was not a fan of Bates (recommended text) but did like Swartz instead.

I didn't find I bought a lot fo texts in preclerkship. Pretty much the same as pb.

I purchased a lot more books for clerkship, mainly from the Case Files series. I found it helpful to solidify the clinical info through cases after reading through the Toronto Notes. For clerkship, I also bought On Call Principles and Protocols, Washington Manual, Surgical Recall, and Pocket Medicine. These cost ~$45 each.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived