Premed 101 Forums

First Year Courses in Upper Years

Hi,

I know that UWO wants 3/5 of your courses to be of your year or higher,b ut do they have any particular preference for the other 2/5. I was owndering this because i am decinding between taking a 1st or 2nd year english credit. Would it look any better to take the 2nd year credit or am i just better off sticking with the 1st year course, although I hear the second yer course isnt that tough either.

Thanks

• 2 months later...

if you go to UWO, you can actually consider 2nd year courses as 'senior level' credits. I don't think UWO actually asks for the 3/5 courses to be from your year of study (that's UofT, and they suggest, not require it). UWO asks that 1 of the 2 years that are used to meet their GPA cutoff be composed of senior level credits which are defined as 300 or 400 level from any school other than UWO.

I've called the admissions office before and it kind of pissed me off because I ended up with two responses.

The first answer was that you should be taking 60% of your course load in accordance with your year of study or courses that are "honours level" (3rd year and above).

The second answer was that it didn't really matter...

In my situation, it took me 6 years to finish my honours degree because I was in Co-op plus 1 extra year.

In my last two years I took 40% second year courses and 60% 3rd + 4th year courses.

I'm planning on applying to Western and Queen's as well.

But my point is, try to stay away from 1st year courses. Although both responses from the admissions office were different there was one commonality...stay away from introductory first year courses in your senior years.

Hi, blinknoodle, thanks for posting it. Unfortunately, I don't know if it's just me, but I'm still a bit confused. They're very explicit when defining the "senior" level courses for the "special year" that some people choose to do, but is this the same case for everyone else?

i.e. this sentence throws me off, "Three full or equivalent senior courses (second year and above) must be included in at least one of the undergraduate years being used to determine compliance with established GPA cutoffs." Here, they don't define what they consider as "second year" UWO vs. all other undergrad universities or make any mention that second year is exclusive only for UWO.

Thanks!

Archived