Premed 101 Forums

New laptop for Meds 2011

Hi everyone, we're getting the sleak IBM X61 tablet laptop for Meds 2011. Very nice!

Below is the email from Medtech:

Good morning Saif,

You heard right, Meds 11 class will be receiving a Tablet X61 at the beginning of September.

Do not hesitate to contact us should you have more questions.

Have a good day,

Shirley for:

Jean-Philippe Soulière-Tessier

Service des technologies / Technology services

Faculté de medecine / Faculty of medicine

Université d'Ottawa / University of Ottawa

Courriel / Email: medtech@uottawa.ca

Tel: 613-562-5648

Fax: 613-562-5454

That's great to hear! Thanks for posting the note.

I hope we get to pick from a couple of choices. I would personally prefer the one in the middle with core 2 duo CPU, although it doesn't come as loaded as the right one, but given the MSRP it's probably the one on the left. But perhaps since it's a bulk deal we can buy either middle or right one for about ~$2000 before tax and software.

I'm also glad that these don't come with Vista pre-installed - I've been less than impressed with that OS so far (partly because I primarily use a Mac with OS 10 Tiger which is far superior). :)

Although Vista is pre-installed, I have a feeling they're going to boot up XP for us because the med program (forgot its name) currently runs on XP, things will be easier that way and I sure as hell don't want Vista, it's crap. Its looks are stolen from the wicked OS X and compatibility issues are huge right now.

I'm such a geek. :)

I feel you bro, I feel you...haha

Okay, so I'm a little *lot* computer challenged in terms of hardware etc. Is it possible to install a CD-ROM/DVD-ROM drive on this? I'd really like to load music on my laptop and also to be able to load it to my iPod from the laptop....

Thanks

*Kail

Okay, so I'm a little *lot* computer challenged in terms of hardware etc. Is it possible to install a CD-ROM/DVD-ROM drive on this? I'd really like to load music on my laptop and also to be able to load it to my iPod from the laptop....

Thanks

*Kail

From what I can tell, X61 tablets don't have DVD/CD-Write/Reader built in (this makes it so thin and light) so you would need to get a base (called "Ultrabase": http://www.pc.ibm.com/ca/thinkpad/tablet/sitelet/accessories.html) to latch the tablet onto to read/write CDs/DVDs or get an external drive.

All packages will include an external DVD burner, which is dual layer of course :) . The cost for this is about $250 and the license for MS 2003/2007 student edition will be around $200, plus the original laptop price of $2000, add on tax and you'll get around $2800 give or take. I'm pretty sure you'll be using XP simply for the fact that medtech has an image they put on every laptop, consisting of all preloaded programs like MS office, PBL software, and some other medical software that comes included. Of course the other big thing, as somebody mentioned, is the cost of an XP license vs. a Vista license. Had I any money, I'd put it on good old XP tablet edition.

Nope, you need to get the license. The laptop package is a package, you either get it or you don't. And yes I'm sure you do have the M$ 2007 license, and it's about as valid as the one I have :rolleyes: As per the XP and OSX discussion, there are things I like and dislike about both OS. Obviously the edge goes to OSX, but XP does have it's good features. Mac OSX is a Unix variant, and ultimately it will be superior. For those of you who are native linux users like myself, my tablet is dual-booted with Debian 4.0 and all tablet features are working, which can be done relatively easily. The only thing I need windows for is the PBL software, because it is native to Windows. I'm sure you could run a virtual windows version through linux for the PBL software, but I'll just stick with reboot --> Windows XP from GRUB :)

I never said it's a valid license, but it's a license nonetheless :D I did go all out and actually buy windows vista though, only to find out afterwards that the license is only good for 1 computer.

Anyway, I'm seriously considering taking the extra money they charge for the external dvd (250? what?!) and the software licenses and put that on more hardware. The highest model of the X61 is about $3000 tax incl and comes with the X6 base (DVD burner incl). So I'd still have the lenovo X61, just a different configuration bought directly from ibm.

I'm guessing the other med school related software doesn't require licenses.

I never said it's a valid license, but it's a license nonetheless :D I did go all out and actually buy windows vista though, only to find out afterwards that the license is only good for 1 computer.

Anyway, I'm seriously considering taking the extra money they charge for the external dvd (250? what?!) and the software licenses and put that on more hardware. The highest model of the X61 is about $3000 tax incl and comes with the X6 base (DVD burner incl). So I'd still have the lenovo X61, just a different configuration bought directly from ibm.

I'm guessing the other med school related software doesn't require licenses.

Man if I were you, I'd totally be opting out of the laptop program, buying my own tablet from IBM directly (they are good computers and I do enjoy mine), saving the money on the license and external hard drive. I can tell you I've used that POS about 3 times in the past year, and anybody who has a serious interest in computers will have a desktop to take care of their media needs. Anybody who needs a lesson in DVI --> HDMI on a plasma screen, I'm here for you. And you are thinking cables are expensive? Well there is a site in the US:

http://www.monoprice.com

You'll personally thank me for introducing this site to you. Their cables are better than **** ass Monster cables, and they are literally 1/8 the price. Alright, check out the Meds11 facebook group, I've made an event if anybody is interested. And if they aren't, than at least I tried :)

Hey thanks for the website, but it's slightly belated :\ What's wrong with monster cables though? I ebayed them and got them for a decent price. Nothing as bad as futureshop. Anyway, it's good to know I'm not the only nerd who decided to hook up their computer to an oversized widescreen tv!

The only reason I can see myself using the external drive is to install stuff, but even then I can just share my current dvd drive over my network. Come to think of it, I think all of the Lenovo X61 packages now come with the X6 base (with the dvd recorder), but I could be wrong. I know the one I was looking at had it included, along with 1Gb ram, 120gb HDD, 1400x1050 res, and 8 hour battery for like 2300 i think. I emailed medtech to see what the specs are on their setup, but I'm seriously thinking of just going for the one on the ibm website and putting in another 2Gb chip (only $150 or so). It comes out to about the same price.

Hey thanks for the website, but it's slightly belated :\ What's wrong with monster cables though? I ebayed them and got them for a decent price. Nothing as bad as futureshop. Anyway, it's good to know I'm not the only nerd who decided to hook up their computer to an oversized widescreen tv!

The only reason I can see myself using the external drive is to install stuff, but even then I can just share my current dvd drive over my network. Come to think of it, I think all of the Lenovo X61 packages now come with the X6 base (with the dvd recorder), but I could be wrong. I know the one I was looking at had it included, along with 1Gb ram, 120gb HDD, 1400x1050 res, and 8 hour battery for like 2300 i think. I emailed medtech to see what the specs are on their setup, but I'm seriously thinking of just going for the one on the ibm website and putting in another 2Gb chip (only $150 or so). It comes out to about the same price.

I have no problems with Monster cable quality my friend, they are fine cables indeed. What I do have a problem with is their overpriced nature. And you know that FS makes more money selling cables when they sell a big screen TV than they actually make from the TV. I'm not talking about direct number, I'm talking about % markup from cost to retail. Imagine some dumbass FS employee trying to sell me a 10' Monster DVI--> HDMI for almost $200, assuming I know nothing about electronics. Oh it makes me mad, I can't stand those little pricks (sorry for the language) and their 6% commission, treating people like a common idiot.

In any event, don't worry about installing stuff on your tablet. If you want to buy an external DVD-burner, you can buy one for $100 online, no need to spend the $250. I'm the only one in my class with my desktop hooked up to my plasma, I can guarantee you that. Most people in meds10 have pathetic TVs :P, there are some who have a 13'' and actually like it....I know I know. If I really need to install something on my tablet though, I'll usually just copy it to my external hard drive from my desktop and install it on my tablet that way. I'm sure you know how to make images of CDs, like ISO or NRG, and you can just mount the image on a virtual drive from you tablet and boom, you are up and running. It's probably a bit convoluted for some people, but so is carrying around an external hard drive that I never use :)

Every time I see someone write Microsoft as M$, it always makes me think they know their sh*t with computers, or are a pirate.

I guess it takes one to know one. ;)

I'd say arrrr matey, but I hardly consider myself a pirate :)

I have no problems with Monster cable quality my friend, they are fine cables indeed. What I do have a problem with is their overpriced nature. And you know that FS makes more money selling cables when they sell a big screen TV than they actually make from the TV. I'm not talking about direct number, I'm talking about % markup from cost to retail. Imagine some dumbass FS employee trying to sell me a 10' Monster DVI--> HDMI for almost $200, assuming I know nothing about electronics. Oh it makes me mad, I can't stand those little pricks (sorry for the language) and their 6% commission, treating people like a common idiot.

In any event, don't worry about installing stuff on your tablet. If you want to buy an external DVD-burner, you can buy one for $100 online, no need to spend the $250. I'm the only one in my class with my desktop hooked up to my plasma, I can guarantee you that. Most people in meds10 have pathetic TVs :P, there are some who have a 13'' and actually like it....I know I know. If I really need to install something on my tablet though, I'll usually just copy it to my external hard drive from my desktop and install it on my tablet that way. I'm sure you know how to make images of CDs, like ISO or NRG, and you can just mount the image on a virtual drive from you tablet and boom, you are up and running. It's probably a bit convoluted for some people, but so is carrying around an external hard drive that I never use :)

I don't know if I should be admitting to this, but I was sold a Monster V400 HDMI cable plus an HDMI to DVI converter when I got my LCD from futureshop... $150 just for that cable + converter. I went on ebay and found a Monster V400 HDMI->DVI cable for $40 and returned the **** i got from FS. That was my first lesson with home theater equipment.

I'm still waiting on medtech to get back to me regarding the specs, but I'm really close to just getting it myself from ibm.ca.

Anyway, thanks for all the advice JayP!

The main thing which you going to miss if you buy your own laptop is the service. Computers bought through the school will be registered and serviced by Medtech guys (wonderful service and people). If it is your own computer (bought outside the university) you will have to deal with any potential problems yourself. I hope that 61st model will have less problem than 41st. But you can ask any '09 students which were first to get 41 tablet model how much "fun" some of them had. And how much easier it was to cross the hall to get help from Medtech rather than dealing with somebody who knows where. In any case it is your choice, but I would contact Medtech office to find out how the things are going to work out if you buy your own comp.

What would happen in terms of reimbursement if you get the tablet directly from IBM? And can you opt out of certain things in the package or do you have to take it as a whole?

I mentioned earlier that I'm pretty sure you either get the package or you don't. In terms of reimbursement, I know you'll get a statement in the mail before class starts indicating you owe about $18,000 in tuition, which includes your laptop. You have until Sept ** to pay, and you can opt out of the laptop program before this and only pay the tuition amount, so you'll never have to pay for the laptop if you opt out of the program. And just a little note which may or may not be obvious: you only pay half your tuition in September and the other half you pay in January. Why pay it all up front when you'll just be charged interest? (note that is only if you are using your LOC and not OSAP) :)

Archived