Premed 101 Forums

New laptop for Meds 2011

I got the specs for Meds11 IBM X61 tablet, so here they are in case anyone is interested:

Intel Core 2 Duo L7500 1.6Ghz (800Mhz FSB)

2Gb Memory (667Mhz, 1 DIMM, 1 slot free)

120Gb HDD (Serial ATA)

12.1" 1024x768 WVA XGA TFT

Intel Graphics Media Accelerator X3100

1 Type I/II PCMCIA slot

Intel wireless wifi link 4965AGN (11n disabled... why!?! I dunno)

8 Cell lithium-ion battery

The dock is not included. For the OS, it just says Genuine Windows Vista (doesn't say the version, although I'm guessing it's Vista Business).

The "webprice" is listed as $2659. I don't know whether or not that's the price we get it at, but office 2007 license is extra I believe along with any other type of media player/recorder they would offer.

I dunno, but the ibm website is offering a much nicer X61 model (better resolution, 160Gb HDD, X6 base included!) for almost $400 less. Here's the site:

http://caipsgws001.can.ibm.com/store/details?type=product&sku=7767A4U Cost is $2299.00 I'm gonna call up medtech and see if they would still service it in case there's a problem in the long run.

I got the specs for Meds11 IBM X61 tablet, so here they are in case anyone is interested:

Intel Core 2 Duo L7500 1.6Ghz (800Mhz FSB)

2Gb Memory (667Mhz, 1 DIMM, 1 slot free)

120Gb HDD (Serial ATA)

12.1" 1024x768 WVA XGA TFT

Intel Graphics Media Accelerator X3100

1 Type I/II PCMCIA slot

Intel wireless wifi link 4965AGN (11n disabled... why!?! I dunno)

8 Cell lithium-ion battery

The dock is not included. For the OS, it just says Genuine Windows Vista (doesn't say the version, although I'm guessing it's Vista Business).

The "webprice" is listed as $2659. I don't know whether or not that's the price we get it at, but office 2007 license is extra I believe along with any other type of media player/recorder they would offer.

I dunno, but the ibm website is offering a much nicer X61 model (better resolution, 160Gb HDD, X6 base included!) for almost $400 less. Here's the site:

http://caipsgws001.can.ibm.com/store/details?type=product&sku=7767A4U Cost is $2299.00 I'm gonna call up medtech and see if they would still service it in case there's a problem in the long run.

Nice call on the 1 DIMM and the core 2 duo and not just the core duo. Should be the merom core, based on my limited search into the topic. Not so sure I'd be fussy about Vista, but whatever. Oh and the 8 cell battery for 8hrs of battery life is just unprecedented. The ironic thing is that myself and about 2 other people on this forum will actually look at those specs and probably understand (or care) what they mean. The future of medicine is deeply rooted in technology my friends, and I'm glad to see that I'm not the only one ahead of the game.

if you got to shop around for your own, could get better deals and is a tablet really required??

I already found a much nicer configuration of the X61 for $2099.00. Check out visaperks.ca. I sent an email to medtech, and they returned my email saying it isn't a tablet... it is a tablet. It says X61 tablet (model A4U or something like that). The 3 year on site warranty is an extra $370 or something? With tax I priced it at a little over $2800.

I think it's getting pretty obvious:

yes you can get the laptop cheaper (either the one we will be getting or a higher-end version) than going through the school, no one is debating that.... BUT if you go through UOttawa, you will have access to the medtech team for free, which, according to students already in the program, is an amazing service.

For me, I figure that I'm already going to be in debt, I don't think a few hundred dollars extra on the laptop is going to make a huge difference.

Anyways, just my 2 cents worth!

So what O/S will we get on our tablets? Sorry, but I didn't really get it through this discussion.

It sounds like Vista, but can we opt for XP? Thanks in advance.

I would say XP, as I mentioned before, medtech already has a "ghost image" made (google it if you don't know), and will install their own software on it. They will have bought licenses for XP and other software like M$ Office 2003, so they will be able to install them legally on all your tablets. I highly doubt that medtech could negotiate the X61 with Vista and M$ 2007 licenses, it is just too much money. Plus as someone else mentioned, I doubt that the PBL software is ready for Vista, and whilst you might think it shouldn't be much of a portability issue to migrate to Vista........you need to read more about the compatibility issues many software companies have faced with Vista. In any event, there won't be any way for you to "choose" what OS you want installed. Like I said before: "you either get the laptop from medtech as a complete package, or you don't get it at all". :)

PS: I'm fully ready to retract any of the above statements should medtech prove me wrong and get Vista with M$ 2003 and get the PBL software working :P

I would say XP, as I mentioned before, medtech already has a "ghost image" made (google it if you don't know), and will install their own software on it. They will have bought licenses for XP and other software like M$ Office 2003, so they will be able to install them legally on all your tablets. I highly doubt that medtech could negotiate the X61 with Vista and M$ 2007 licenses, it is just too much money. Plus as someone else mentioned, I doubt that the PBL software is ready for Vista, and whilst you might think it shouldn't be much of a portability issue to migrate to Vista........you need to read more about the compatibility issues many software companies have faced with Vista. In any event, there won't be any way for you to "choose" what OS you want installed. Like I said before: "you either get the laptop from medtech as a complete package, or you don't get it at all". :)

Great, thanks. I've read about all the horror stories of incompatibility issues with Vista, which is the main reason why I'm hoping that XP is what we'll get with our tablets. Now it looks like that'll be the case. :)

PS: I'm fully ready to retract any of the above statements should medtech prove me wrong and get Vista with M$ 2003 and get the PBL software working :P

In the PDF that I got from medtech, it said it's gonna be windows vista. Also, Michelle Lapointe told me in an email that we're paying for Office and OneNote licenses... OneNote has only been available since Office 2007. It would make more sense that they're switching over to vista. Afterall, we'll be there until 2011... who will be using XP in 2011?

In the PDF that I got from medtech, it said it's gonna be windows vista. Also, Michelle Lapointe told me in an email that we're paying for Office and OneNote licenses... OneNote has only been available since Office 2007. It would make more sense that they're switching over to vista. Afterall, we'll be there until 2011... who will be using XP in 2011?

One note has been available since Office 2003, it's on my computer right now and the whole class uses it. It makes sense that is should be Vista, given that the support for XP will be fading out over the next few years. Those guys at medtech must really be able to negotiate if they managed to score Office 2007, Vista, and the X61 for the same price we paid for our laptops a year ago. Perhaps I should have deferred my acceptance to be part of the meds11 class so I could get the better laptop....:rolleyes:

Archived