Premed 101 Forums

Top 3 Questions

Guest DHP62

Hey everyone,

I thought I would share some info I got when I called OMSAS the other day. The man I spoke with was VERY helpful! (a nice change from previous experiences I've had calling them). I asked 3 questions, and the guy said that they were the 3 more common questions this year, and was glad I asked them all in one shot instead of calling 3 different times. Here they are:

#1)

Q. When I push submit, it says I haven't filled in everything for Ottawa, but I have! What gives?

A. Its a strange problem that only occurs with people who created their account during a certain time period. Don't worry and just continue with the submitting process.

#2)

Q. When reviewing my info when I push submit, the title of my activity in the Ottawa expanded autobio says the end date instead of the title. What gives?

A. Again, a strange problem which they hope to fix next year. Go ahead and submit, OMSAS will fix it and all will be good when Ottawa sees it.

#3)

Q. My returns and tabs disappear in my UofT essay. Will they reappear when UofT gets it?

A. Yes! The system doesn't show them so as to save memory/space. (I don't know about that one, but that's what he said!) So as long as you had them in there initially, they will get there. Don't worry if you can no longer see them once you save the essay - UofT will see it the way you want them to.

I hope that helped folks! Good luck, and submit soon to avoid the crash!!

DHP

Guest wileycoyote

here is what's going on with the apostrophes...it happens when we use the evil MS Word program.

take a look at this one -> ‘

then have a look here -> '

they look similar, but there are quite different

there are two different types of apostrophes...when you type the single quote char in Word, it chooses the non standard text one...and OMSAS borks.

the trick is to copy your app out of MS Word, and into notepad or some standard ASCII text editor...then find all instances of ‘ and replace em with '

‘ is actually a 'left single quote' corresponding to ASCII code 0145 in decimal... ' is 0039 in the ASCII chart, MS in its great wisdom has caused us this pain...choosing to insert the ASCII left single when more often than not, we would have wanted the actual apostrophe char 0039.

Guest bad hombre

I just tried what cheech suggested, and it seemed to work. just type in "smart quotation marks" in the help function and the program will guide you through it.

Archived