Premed 101 Forums

'travelling' on ABS

So i've done a fair amount of traveling and i was wondering how much to put in my ABS. I probably travel somewhere 2 times a year ie. this year i went to Italy and Cuba. I'm just not sure if its worth it or how many to put, since i didn't really backpack anywhere or go with a group/organization but i didn't just sit on a beach either. i probably have 40ish amount of items on my list so i don't think i really need to 'pad' it or anything, but i think i've learned something/gained some prespective on atleast a few trips.

I'm thinking of making 1 point as 'traveling' and in the description just say a few places i've been lately. Should i make seperate points for a few places, 1 point naming a few places, or none at all?

I wouldn't include them at all on the ABS. I personally don't feel it merits being there. However, in your essays and questions, I would absolutely include it.

Things like this are made really powerful when attached to something else that is a little more linked to medicine.

i.e. I volunteer at a psychiatric ward and have learned to communicate with a variety of people by.... Furthermore, my communication skills are applied and enhanced as I am an avid traveller. I find it both engaging and exciting to communicate with a diversity of individuals etc etc etc... statement about overcoming the language barrier...how communication is truly more than verbal etc...

try to make it a nice read =)

I wouldn't include them at all on the ABS. I personally don't feel it merits being there.

Well, this is just my 2 cents, no more valid than anyone else's, but I would totally include it, although I'm not sure if I'd go for the 1 item or many. I think they want you to include everything that says something about who you are. Having travelled so much totally does, if you ask me. I might have excluded it if you already had over 48 items and really didn't know what to leave out, but if you have room, I think you should totally include it.

Everything in the sketch doesn't have to be glorious or med related. I even think it might come off as more authentic and original if you don't seem to have made your whole life revolve around getting in med for the last few yrs (If I was reading this, I'd think : "this is someone who looks fun & adventurous, I'd like to meet her!").

If you only include it in the essay questions, the school which don't have any (ie Ottawa) will not get to see it. Furthermore, I've heard (don't quote me on this) that at Ottawa at least they don't take marks off for adding stuff to the sketch... they only add marks for the stuff they like... so might as well!

so should i make separate categories per trip or all in one point? I guess i can potentially put around 10 nonNA countries but i think that might a little overload ... I'm thinking of listing some of my bigger/more memorable ones (maybe 4-5)

I'm also one of those folks who are on the fence about this, because to me it's just "wow, hey guys, my family has a ton of money, so I got to go on those cool trips." Not that I myself haven't done it, but I dunno, travelling, especially outside of the continent (given the costs), just kinda screams "privilege," and that's why I'm not sure whether it's something that should be included.

I'm also one of those folks who are on the fence about this, because to me it's just "wow, hey guys, my family has a ton of money, so I got to go on those cool trips." Not that I myself haven't done it, but I dunno, travelling, especially outside of the continent (given the costs), just kinda screams "privilege," and that's why I'm not sure whether it's something that should be included.

lol yeah ... that's another reason y i don't wanna list too many places.

It's not as expensive as most people think. I spent a month in Thailand on a budget of little more than $15-$20 CAD/day. That's including accommodation/food/snacks etc. Some other countries have been even cheaper.

Of course, if you're living it up in Western Europe, it's a whole different ballgame.

My take is that if it was a memorable trip, you had a great experience and some stories to tell, learned even a thing or two, then why not put it down? Everything doesn't have to relate back to med school or how it prepared you to be a great doctor bla bla bla.

But don't forget that taking a month or two to travel somewhere exciting not only costs the amount of the flight, but reflects the fact that you are not working. That's a HUGE cost, and I agree that travelling is often a product of privilege.

But don't forget that taking a month or two to travel somewhere exciting not only costs the amount of the flight, but reflects the fact that you are not working. That's a HUGE cost, and I agree that travelling is often a product of privilege.

Sure, there is an opportunity cost associated with traveling. I also understand that not everyone can afford to do so. But the way you cast traveling still as one of those privileges of the super elite is so incredibly far from accurate.

Furthermore, if you do insist on thinking that traveling (and I mean independent travel) is "a product of privilege", I still don't see that as a legitimate problem and reason not to include.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest copacetic

i dunno about that, i've been out of the country once, and really thats because 1) i'm too poor to be travelling every summer, and 2) i have responsibilities at home which prevent me from doing that kinda stuff. from where i'm standing, travelling is a privilege

To me, traveling is a privilege. Doesn't matter what kind of traveling it is. I cannot afford to spend my off time traveling when I can stay here and work. This is not to negate any valuable experiences or any challenges one might face while being abroad.

I would include it, but limit it to one or two. I think it should be there, just like how tennis should be there (if you play tennis) or scuba diving should be there (if you scuba dive). Scuba diving is not cheap, but if it's something that you like, then it's a part of you, it's nothing to be ashamed of.

Archived