Premed 101 Forums

housing: what would you do

hey all,

I almost confirmed living walking distance to the HSC shuttle at U of M Fort Gary. Just when I'm about to pay the deposit, I get an email stating that I'm accepted off the waitlist for U of M HSC apartment rentals for a bachelor's apartment.

Rent near U of M Fort Gary is $500 all inclusive including laundry, wireless internet, cable TV, and all utilities. the only con I can see is the 45 bus ride to HSC every morning and evening.

The HSC med apts don't look as good in quality as the other apartment but the + side is obviously the walking distance to HSC. And also, is the rent all inclusive?

If you were me what would you do? All help greatly appreciated as I have to respond to both of them by tomorrow morning.

thanks

moose

well... the med res is not the nicest accomodation.... and the shuttle from fort garry to HSC is really only 25-30min, not 45, since it doesn't stop on the way... and it runs quite frequently, so it's not an inconvenience...

but really, it's up to you, i'd definately check out the med res for yourself so you're not too dissapointed when you move in... :P

take the ft. garry one. by the way, do you own a vehicle? i'm sure you can prolly get by fine without one if you bum rides and stuff... but as the year goes on, and you do more clinical stuff in hospitals and clinics and stuff, it's gonna be a pain not having a car. and it just gets worse in year 2 as it becomes more clinically oriented. you'll find that winnipeg is pretty damn car-centric.

I was going to have a car. But then I found out that I couldn't get parking at HSC so had to completely change things around and therefore attempted to live close to the shuttle. I'll get a car as soon as parking at HSC becomes available.

you would be fine living at fort gary for med1, the schedule is regular and the shuttle is speedy. Consider getting a car and staying at fort gary or living more centrally for med2, you will be going to all sorts of hospitals (although 80% of the time either St. Boniface or HSC) at some odd hours. For example, one comprehensive patient assessment (aka. CPA, you will have one every week for all of med2) requires you to be at St. B from 6pm-9pm, and some people are done by 7 or 8pm, others stay until 9pm. Some days in med2 for clinical require you to be at St. Boniface for an hour or two in the morning, and then they give you 30 minutes to get to HSC to be at another clinical session there.

Rent at med apts comes to $357, but that only includes heat and water. As you said, the big thing is convenience (and having a place to yourself!). You're also guaranteed an HSC parking spot. The apartments themselves are nicer than the outside/hallways.

All told, however, If you don't mind living with other people, I say take the Fort Garry area place. A lot of people in my class live down there. The only thing about the shuttle bus is that it stops running around the last month of school, but not many people go to classes at that point anyway...

Also, I would really suggest a car. It's doable without in first year, but it still sucks if you want to have a life/buy groceries/etc.

Archived