Premed 101 Forums

Grade 11 student needing some good advice

Guest iwannaplaylock

Guest iwannaplaylock

thanks for your advice everybody but currently i am not really concerned with volunteering now(i just do some coaching every here and there to give back to the community) but when i said medical school textbooks i really did mean medical school textbooks(the ones where you learn about anatomy and stuff)... will reading them be any good to help increase my comprehension/writing ability? cause i really find that stuff really interesting...

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

when i was in hs, i wanted to be an engineer... didn't do good enough to get in... kind of a blessing in disguise actually, developed an interest in politics in humanities... enrolled in arts... took liberal arts classes... interesting but not a career choice... took a single science course, chem 101... pretty cool stuff, lets give this science thing a try... hey science psychology is cool, perhaps be a psychologist... do some research, well thats not for me... hey this genetics and physiology seems interesting, parhaps i should look into med

moral of the story, plan, but make room for a lot of detours along the way because the only way you'll know if you want to do something is if you try it out (or at least do some volunteering/research in kind of a related field) :)

thanks for your advice everybody but currently i am not really concerned with volunteering now(i just do some coaching every here and there to give back to the community) but when i said medical school textbooks i really did mean medical school textbooks(the ones where you learn about anatomy and stuff)... will reading them be any good to help increase my comprehension/writing ability? cause i really find that stuff really interesting...

Simply stated...probably not. Medical textbooks are good for learning about medical sciences. If you want to improve your reading comprehension skills...pick up literature, philosophy, academic reviews, music criticism...read anything that pushes you out of your comfort zone more and more. Use the dictionary often and I'm sure you'll improve.

Also will reading medical school textbooks be worth wild? Can it be possible to obtain these at my local libary? I actually find this stuff pretty interesting and will it be any good at helping my reading/writing skills?

Good lord. I don't read medical textbooks for fun and I'm in freakin' medical school...

Relax, dude.

If you find anatomy, etc. interesting, then why not read it? It is certainly not going to be detrimental. However, I too find anatomy very interesting, but I can assure you that my old anatomy course textbook is gathering a nice layer of dust on my bookshelf. Fiction is more enjoyable to me and much easier to stick with than textbooks (big surprise there). If you read books like A Fine Balance where you can both expand your vocabulary and learn about history and another culture....I think it would be much more beneficial.

Guest iwannaplaylock
Perhaps you should re-think this. Medical schools prefer people who make active contributions to society for the betterment of their community over those who read medical textbooks in their spare time in Grade 11.

i do volunteer(coached every friday for 1hour for 24 weeks) but its not a priority now... i will focus more on it during undergrad cause i really don't think that the adcoms will care(i hope) what i was doing when i was 15 years old...

i do volunteer(coached every friday for 1hour for 24 weeks) but its not a priority now... i will focus more on it during undergrad cause i really don't think that the adcoms will care(i hope) what i was doing when i was 15 years old...

FYI anything you do from the age of 16 years is allowed to be included.

Hey guys,

I found this thread really helpful

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=433689

I'm pre-school, which schools should I attend?

Hey, pre-schooler checking in here.

I really really want to be a doctor and go to the best medical school possible. Which Kindergarten programs should I consider?

Academically I'm doing pretty well so far, I know all of my ABC's and most of my colours. I can draw a circle and square pretty well and I'm using six body parts when I draw people. One problem though, my 1 minute and 5 minute APGARs were 6 and 9. I know that most schools don't care as much about the 1 minute APGAR but do you think this will decrease my chances of eventually attending medical school?

Thanks in advance for responses thumbup.gif

-Cole

thanks that really helped a lot

may i ask why i am such a loser?/why r u so arrogant?(pardon my grammer plz i am only in grd school) I don't mean to brag(well actually i do) I am actually captin of our schools rugby team... Are you one of those fat or ugly or nerdy kids that got picked on in high school by people like me? Also you think people should beat me for fun? Are u sick or something? Buddy come over here and say that to my face. Seriously i will gladly give u my address and direction to where i live. You just gotta hop on UBC 25/Brentwood 25 to get to my house. I live very close to boundary and 22nd. (i am dead serious about this pm me if u want details)

Your age is showing. Didn't your mom ever teach you that two wrongs don't make a right???

Guest iwannaplaylock
Your age is showing. Didn't your mom ever teach you that two wrongs don't make a right???

honestly what else am i supposed to say?

redfox's post was unnecessary as was your reply. seriously, people are criticizing the OP for being young/immature, but the fact that you're being rude and not helpful is also very immature. if you have nothing constructive to post then try some self-control and not post at all.

to the OP: you'll get to know yourself very well and will learn how much you can handle. you were asking about going to the gym for 5 weeks, well as i said, you'll know how much time will be needed for studyinig and how much time can be spent on extracurriculars.

bottom line is: do something you enjoy. that goes for the major you choose and the activities you participate in. if you enjoy it, you'll do well AND you'll have fun.

admissions committees like to see well-rounded applications that have other things to offer than just being smart, or just being good at hockey etc.

about the internal med residency and fellowship - the "hot" residencies tend to change from year to year. even if something is relatively less competitive now, that may not be the case in a few years - and you're looking at applying for those (assuming you get into med right after completing your undergrad degree) in 10 years. you may change your mind in that time about medicine or about which specialty you'd like to do. i'm starting 2nd year in med and i still dont know which residency i'd like to apply to. i was thinking internal med initially, followed by cardiology (just like you), but now after getting some "first hand" experience, i'm not so sure anymore.

high school grades are only necessary to get you into an undergraduate program. good grades in undergrad wont guarantee you admission, but bad grades will definitely keep you out.

anyway, i hope this helps and good luck.

Guest iwannaplaylock
redfox's post was unnecessary as was your reply. seriously, people are criticizing the OP for being young/immature, but the fact that you're being rude and not helpful is also very immature. if you have nothing constructive to post then try some self-control and not post at all.

to the OP: you'll get to know yourself very well and will learn how much you can handle. you were asking about going to the gym for 5 weeks, well as i said, you'll know how much time will be needed for studyinig and how much time can be spent on extracurriculars.

bottom line is: do something you enjoy. that goes for the major you choose and the activities you participate in. if you enjoy it, you'll do well AND you'll have fun.

admissions committees like to see well-rounded applications that have other things to offer than just being smart, or just being good at hockey etc.

about the internal med residency and fellowship - the "hot" residencies tend to change from year to year. even if something is relatively less competitive now, that may not be the case in a few years - and you're looking at applying for those (assuming you get into med right after completing your undergrad degree) in 10 years. you may change your mind in that time about medicine or about which specialty you'd like to do. i'm starting 2nd year in med and i still dont know which residency i'd like to apply to. i was thinking internal med initially, followed by cardiology (just like you), but now after getting some "first hand" experience, i'm not so sure anymore.

high school grades are only necessary to get you into an undergraduate program. good grades in undergrad wont guarantee you admission, but bad grades will definitely keep you out.

anyway, i hope this helps and good luck.

good post and will it help that i am a 2nd degree blackbelt(almost 3rd) in tae kwon do? i quit a year because there was a change in management and it become a "macdojo" lol... but i am currently taking muay thai and ju jujustu now... will stuff like that help towards admission? i also earned lots of leadership awards from their too and still have them all...

good post and will it help that i am a 2nd degree blackbelt(almost 3rd) in tae kwon do? i quit a year because there was a change in management and it become a "macdojo" lol... but i am currently taking muay thai and ju jujustu now... will stuff like that help towards admission? i also earned lots of leadership awards from their too and still have them all...

yup that stuff is fine. bottom line: DO WHAT YOU ENJOY!...you sound like you're a well-rounded individual. just keep it up in univ because

1) admissions committees dont care about what you've done in high school - they only care about university stuff

2) it's really easy to fall into the trap of focussing only on your grades and forgetting about everything else.

Well, that guy was being an ass. Threatening to fight an anonymous stranger on the Internet isn't really a mature thing to do in response. The best response would be no response at all, or one commenting on his own lack of maturity.

But that's just my opinion.

Here's another thing you can work on - getting a thicker skin. Going into medicine means you will take criticism, and you can't resort to name-calling and violence in those situations.

I thought martial arts taught self-defence, not attacking people who called you a name just to get a laugh.

When you're in 3rd year medicine on your surgery rotation, and a surgeon yells at you for something you had no control over, you can't just drop-kick his ass.

(though that would be pretty cool to watch)

Guest iwannaplaylock
Here's another thing you can work on - getting a thicker skin. Going into medicine means you will take criticism, and you can't resort to name-calling and violence in those situations.

I thought martial arts taught self-defence, not attacking people who called you a name just to get a laugh.

When you're in 3rd year medicine on your surgery rotation, and a surgeon yells at you for something you had no control over, you can't just drop-kick his ass.

(though that would be pretty cool to watch)

as i mentioned early others(including myself) define me as very modest and i do actually take criticism very well (sorry if i sound arrogant)

Guest iwannaplaylock
Well, that guy was being an ass. Threatening to fight an anonymous stranger on the Internet isn't really a mature thing to do in response. The best response would be no response at all, or one commenting on his own lack of maturity.

But that's just my opinion.

ok i apologise but i just wanted to see if this guy would actually say this to my face lol...

Guest iwannaplaylock

does anybody have any insights/a foresight into the competivitness of getting into ubc med in 5-8 years because of the population ageing and all? will it get harder, easier, or basically stay the same give/take...

Archived