Premed 101 Forums

early admissions

hey everyone

I just started an AMCAS application...I was on vacation until last week so I kind of put application stuff out of my head..the Early Decisions Program aplication is due August 1st..but I dont think my transcript will make its way by then...should I still apply now?? or Wait until October? If I apply now but miss the August 1st deadline, will my application still be regarded as early by the rolling admissions schools? I have a 3.76 GPA and a 31Q MCAT...do I have a good chance of getting in to the states? I had interviews at Queens and Western but I was waitlisted for both. ANy advice plzzz help!!!

Why do you want to apply Early Decision? It is usually only recommended for very competitive candidates. Your stats are not bad at all, but they aren't exactly mind-blowing and ED may not work out for you.

If you are interested in it, you should contact the school you're considering for ED application ASAP and ask them if they'd consider you competitive based on your stats.

Otherwise, I think generally, your primary must be submitted by Aug 1 and verified by Aug 15, which in my opinion is rather unlikely to happen. It takes them about 10-15 days to just receive the transcripts. I sent mine via courier on the 12th and it was just received today. The verification times right now seem to be hovering around 2-3 weeks.

You could probably still apply regular decision, but you're really pushing it at this point in the cycle, because your AMCAS will likely not be verified until September. Not terribly late, but at this point it'll be hurting you.

ED is only recommended for people who live in the same state as the medical school. Otherwise, you really have to answer the question "why you want to go to that particular medical school". The only place that makes sense for us Canadians to go ED is Wayne state, and I know a Canuck (lived in widsor) who did this and got in.

Otherwise your best bet is to apply to as many schools as possible, instead of just ONE. Your stats are average for international students, and I think if your overall application is strong, you will have tons of interviews...I recommend you send your application in as soon as possible though....like RIGHT NOW! heh

good luck,

p.s the only benefit really apply ED is the school knows you really want to go there (thus living in the same state makes sense). also you get accepted early (oct 1st oppose to oct 15th). But as a whole, its not really worth it going ED as a canadian.

p.s.s Early would be applying in the J months, so you are not that late!!!!

Sorry guys I have no clue what I'm talking about when it comes to AMerican medical schools..I just decided last minute to apply as well as reapplying to Canada because I have a lot of good extra curriculars and experiences that may help me get in...anyway i just read about the EDP and I realized what it means, I thought it just meant that if you apply early (I thought this was synonymous with EDP), you have a better shot of getting in. I didnt know it was just for one school. The deadline for most of the other schools are in October so if I submit now I think I should make it in time. Thanks so much for pointing it out to me though.

P.S. does any one know if we have to fill in the credit hours portion on the AMCAS application? My university didnt state anything about credit hours.

Sorry guys I have no clue what I'm talking about when it comes to AMerican medical schools..I just decided last minute to apply as well as reapplying to Canada because I have a lot of good extra curriculars and experiences that may help me get in...anyway i just read about the EDP and I realized what it means, I thought it just meant that if you apply early (I thought this was synonymous with EDP), you have a better shot of getting in. I didnt know it was just for one school. The deadline for most of the other schools are in October so if I submit now I think I should make it in time. Thanks so much for pointing it out to me though.

P.S. does any one know if we have to fill in the credit hours portion on the AMCAS application? My university didnt state anything about credit hours.

It's not too late to apply now. I just submitted my AMCAS primary yesterday. I'm a bit worried about the status of my transcript though.

For the 'courses' portion, what school did you attend? You can just enter 1.0 or 0.5 credits. They'll convert it for you.

Archived