Premed 101 Forums

B.Ed to MD?

• 1 month later...
I currently have four classes that give traditional marks (A+, A-, etc), but I also have a practical student teaching part that is graded as either a Pass or a Fail.

Are there any B.Eds that know how this "pass fail" is incorporated into my med application?

Each school probably views it differently. Best to contact the school's office directly an inquire.

Good luck!

I am actually a B.Sc., B.Ed. who just got into UBC Med school - so yes it does happen! I did my B.Ed. at Uvic and then I was substitute teaching for a year out here (I really enjoyed it), and then got in.

Doing my B.Ed actually had a tonne of benefits - it boosted my GPA (However, Uvic was the only school that gave grades - UBC, SFU, Malaspina, are Pass/Fail schools - so make sure your program gives grades - to answer your question about your practicum it doesn't count for anything for Med school - but it's important for getting a ob afterwards). Education courses are also relatively easy - I was able to get almost an A+ average - mostly because you are the only one who is really trying for those good grades - everyone else just wants to get their degree and start teaching.

It also gave me a great job until I got into med school (TOCing was really nice, I worked almost every day and I loved the variety - 10 years of it, no, but the year I had was great). It also gave me a tonne of leadership experience - I was involved in coaching and integrating curriculum, and leading trips - so some great experiences - make sure you get involved when you are doing your practicum - this makes up for the fact that it doesn't count for anything grades-wise.

Also, the teaching program I did was only a year (10 months to be exact), so it's an alternative to doing a Masters (UBC Med doesn't allow you to apply while you are still doing your Masters).

A lot of people asked me what is the connection between teaching and medicine and I found there were a lot - responsibility, integrity and honesty, leadership, life-long learning etc.

So yes, there should be no problem with your application and making the transition into medicine.

It is certainly possible to get into medical school with a B.Ed.

Although admissions procedures differ for each university, many schools count the credits earned from pass/fail courses toward your degree requirements but do not enter a grade equivalent when calculating your CPGA.

Good luck!

Archived