Premed 101 Forums

Does Queens take the most recent MCAT score?

Highest cumulative.

You have to meet the cutoff for each section in one sitting.

For example, if you score 10 10 9 P your first time, then 10 10 11 O your second time and the cutoff is 10 10 10 P (like it was for 2007 entry), you will NOT get an interview (since the first time you didn't score meet the PS cut off and the second time you didn't meet the WS cutoff).

Hope that helps!

Highest cumulative.

You have to meet the cutoff for each section in one sitting.

For example, if you score 10 10 9 P your first time, then 10 10 11 Q your second time and the cutoff is 10 10 10 P (like it was for 2007 entry), you will NOT get an interview (since the first time you didn't score meet the PS cut off and the second time you didn't meet the WS cutoff).

Hope that helps!

LOL, Q is a higher score than P.:D:P

There is always a chance that the MCAT (or GPA) cut-offs will go up. In the past, Queen's has had cut-offs as high as 32.

Queen's historically has raised their VR cut-off prior to raising the science cut-offs. That said, moving from a 10 to an 11 would be a significant jump, and eliminate a large number of applicants, due to the percentile scoring.

I certainly hope that Queen's doesn't increase their individual section cut-offs, and am not overly worried. My guess (and it is just a guess) is that the overall cut-off will increase back to 32 before the sections will increase past 10.

All of that said, Queen's has said that they want to increase the number of people they interview. Hopefully that will help keep the cut-offs where they were (for my sake - especially the GPA, since I only just meet that cut-off).

Elaine

I don't believe the plan to interview more applicants has to do with waitlist movement. Rather, it is to prevent the cutoffs to receive an interview from rising too high (i.e. Queen's doesn't think that only interviewing people with 35+ MCAT scores and 3.9+ GPAs would be a good thing).

When I spoke with an admissions officer last interview weekend, she mentioned that the current (fixed cutoff) system may have to be changed in the near future because at some point they'd either have to interview too many people or the cutoffs would rise too high to be helpful to use an effective screen.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
I scored 30Q... PS 9, VR 11, BS 10

Do you think there's a chance the section cut-offs will go DOWN? Anyone know if the PS cutoff has ever been 9 before?

The last time that PS cut-off for Queen's was a 9 was for September 2005. or that application cycle, the cut-offs were 9/9/9/O, with a sum of 32. There were 1778 applicants that year, of which 486 received interviews. 204 offers were made to fill the 100 spots.

Elaine

The last time that PS cut-off for Queen's was a 9 was for September 2005. or that application cycle, the cut-offs were 9/9/9/O, with a sum of 32. There were 1778 applicants that year, of which 486 received interviews. 204 offers were made to fill the 100 spots.

Elaine

wow... talk about helpful. thanks ;)

• 2 weeks later...

ya i know they say most recent for western and UT, but someone has also told me by most recent they mean the best score from the most recent year (so if you took it 3 times in one year they would take best overall)

this might just be false hope but can anyone verify that

Ok...what if you have a higher overall score - say 32 Q at one time but the individual scores of 13, 10, 9 Q. And next time its 30 S , with 10 , 10, 10 S on individual scores. So which would they consider best? The one that meets their cutoffs, or the one that has a higher cumulative score? I called their office once and asked them about my 32 Q, and they said that if I wanted to meet their cutoffs I would have to do it again, so I did. But my cumulative ended up going down...

meeting the cutoffs at queens with a 10/10/10 Q or a 15/15/15 T makes no difference. They throw out your mcat and gpa once you meet the cuts, then it's interview and written application for acceptance. If you've got anything higher than their cutoff, you're just overworking yourself unnecessarily :D

Archived