Premed 101 Forums

Undergrad Questions

Time

Hello, I'm a would-be grade 12 Ontario student that's looking to get some information regarding McGill's requirements/sought after marks for entrance into one of their undergrad programs.

The problem is that looking through their website (HERE) I can't seem to find very much pertaining to what Undergrad I'd be seeking to apply to with med school as my 'final' destination.

What I have found says:

Arts and Science (B.A. & Sc.)

* Calculus MCB4U (or OAC) or Geometry MGA4U (or OAC)

* At least one of: Biology SBI4U (or OAC), Chemistry SCH4U (or OAC), Physics SPH4U (or OAC)

* 4U (or OAC) English or French

and

Science

* Calculus MCB4U (or OAC) or Geometry MGA4U (or OAC)

* At least two of: Biology SBI4U (or OAC), Chemistry SCH4U (or OAC), Physics SPH4U (or OAC)

* 4U (or OAC) English or French

B.Sc./B.Ed. applicants must also meet Education requirements.

So what would the difference between the BSc and B.A. & Sc be? Are they determined by the # of courses taken in that field?

What I would specifically like to know are what averages McGill looking for to get into these programs? I'm assuming over 82% for BSc but can anyone provide me with a specific? What would this be determined off of for a BSc (from the above I'd assume a math, 2 sciences and english for myself)? How many OOP (Out of Province) spots are there in these programs? Are there any specialties that McGill has (i.e. particular residencies to look out for, world-renowned research etc.)?

Thanks

i would choose an undergrad program just to enjoy the program.

it doesn't matter what undergrad program you're in as long as you get a high GPA and fulfill prereqs.

to get into undergrad programs isn't difficult either...85% average and above can get you into most places, 90% and above can get you almost everything, and 95% and above will get you anywhere you want with scholarships.

Thanks, I was interested in McGill specifically because I'd heard their programs were solid, Montreal sounds amazing and I'd really like to be able to call myself bi-lingual before I'm 30 and I know being in a francophone city would help me a lot.

My cousin has an apartment there that she is planning to sell but I'm sure if I told her about wanting to go to university there then she would rent it until my 2nd year comes around.

I'll just try for especially good marks as planned then. Aaand:

So what would the difference between the BSc and B.A. & Sc be?

How many OOP (Out of Province) spots are there in these programs?

Are there any specialties that McGill has (i.e. particular residencies to look out for, world-renowned research etc.)?

Thanks, I was interested in McGill specifically because I'd heard their programs were solid, Montreal sounds amazing and I'd really like to be able to call myself bi-lingual before I'm 30 and I know being in a francophone city would help me a lot.

My cousin has an apartment there that she is planning to sell but I'm sure if I told her about wanting to go to university there then she would rent it until my 2nd year comes around.

very good reasons to choose mcgill!

I'll just try for especially good marks as planned then. Aaand:

So what would the difference between the BSc and B.A. & Sc be?

How many OOP (Out of Province) spots are there in these programs?

sorry, don't know answer to these questions, but for undergrad, if you make the grade cutoffs, you should be fine.

Are there any specialties that McGill has (i.e. particular residencies to look out for, world-renowned research etc.)?

not sure exactly what mcgill has, though i will know before i apply to the med school there, but mcgill has a ridiculously good reputation in the states for research and medicine, even though toronto is the biomedical research powerhouse in canada (and toronto has a really good rep among researchers internationally, too).

once again, getting into undergraduate programs in canada is very simple - get decent grades in high school - and there is not much difference between programs in terms of reputation with professional schools, so choose based on what you feel the most comfortable with.

Archived