Premed 101 Forums

please help - which schools???

Please help...

I am tired, I know the information is out there but these app's are killing me.

ok here is the deal.

I am a Quebec resident, non-trad, 3.65 GPA, 32 MCAT, decent ECs but lack in volunteer/comm service, good clinical experience.

What I would like to know is which Ontario schools I shouldn't waste my time on? What are the general cutoffs?

I just don't feel like wasting time or money on schools where I will be screened out (i.e. writing essays for nothing!).

Also, what do you think about other canadian schools? do I have a chance at Calgary, Manitoba, Alberta or Maritimes?

I have already applied in the US and plan to apply inprovince when the time comes but with such an average application I want to go as broadly as possible, and do NOT want to go thru this process again.

THANKS GUYS!

you officially stand a chance at toronto and mac. realistically though, both schools take people with 3.8+ gpas, so if you are really as lazy as your post would suggest, i wouldn't apply anywhere in ontario. If you speak french fluently and wouldn't mind doing med school in french, ottawa may have a lower cutoff for the french stream that you might qualify for... but then again ottawa uses your sketch to pick those who are interviewed, and if you don't have much in that sketch... well you get the idea...

i also need to say that you need to change your attitude... i know apps are hard, but nobody is forcing you to do this... you are doing it for yourself, so don't make it sound like people owe it to you to give you this information. The requirements for ontario schools are really easy to find. If you do NOT want to go through this process again, you should probably put some effort into researching the process for yourself.

i also need to say that you need to change your attitude... i know apps are hard, but nobody is forcing you to do this... you are doing it for yourself, so don't make it sound like people owe it to you to give you this information. The requirements for ontario schools are really easy to find. If you do NOT want to go through this process again, you should probably put some effort into researching the process for yourself.

maybe you missed the point of my post.

I'm not lazy and nobody is forcing me to do this.

I'm looking for a little help since I've spent the last 2 months day and night completing secondaries for the 22 US schools I applied to.

I dont think you can consider that LAZY. I think I have every right to want to minimize the amount of applications I submit ESPECIALLY if I spend the time applying to schools where I stand no chance.

I was having a hard time finding info for cutoffs so I figured I would ask here since people seem to know about that stuff.

p.s. thanks for your reply although you have been NO help whatsoever. I am looking for which schools will consider me and I am willing to apply as a longshot as long as there is no STRICT cutoff.

Once again, don't judge me because I ask for advice.

Either help me out, or move on to the next thread.

Anybody else with non-judgemental advice please I would love to hear it.

Hey, you and I are in fairly similar boats. My cGPA is 3.67, with an MCAT of 32Q. For Western, if you have two years at 3.70 or higher, you can get an interview with 3 10s and a Q on the MCAT. For Queens, if your last two years are 3.78 or higher, you can get an interview with a similar mcat. NOSM, Toronto and McMaster don't have strict cutoffs. Ottawa is out.

So, depending on your MCAT and the breakdown of your GPA (also you need full course loads in those years), you may be okay at Queens and Western. Toronto, McMaster and NOSM don't have strict cutoffs. Ottawa is completely out.

Good luck, Dante came off as a jerk in his post, but I don't think he meant it sounding that rude.

Hey, you and I are in fairly similar boats. My cGPA is 3.67, with an MCAT of 32Q. For Western, if you have two years at 3.70 or higher, you can get an interview with 3 10s and a Q on the MCAT. For Queens, if your last two years are 3.78 or higher, you can get an interview with a similar mcat. NOSM, Toronto and McMaster don't have strict cutoffs. Ottawa is out.

So, depending on your MCAT and the breakdown of your GPA (also you need full course loads in those years), you may be okay at Queens and Western. Toronto, McMaster and NOSM don't have strict cutoffs. Ottawa is completely out.

Good luck, Dante came off as a jerk in his post, but I don't think he meant it sounding that rude.

Thanks for your help.

Unfortunately, my breakdown was VR-9 BS-12 PS-11

Also, my GPA was:

year 1- 3.54

year 2- 3.59

year 3- 3.63

year 4- 3.86

my courseload is a little off because of the requirements of my program and also b/c I transferred after first year, so UWO is out.

I guess I can apply to Toronto and McMaster.

Is there even a point in applying to Queen's?

And what about other canadian schools?

UofM: you might have a chance at (they drop 10 worst courses) depending on your WS i'ld say you need an R or higher.

UofS: don't bother

UofC: don't bother

UofA: Depending on your WS you might have a shot at alberta (they'll drop your lowest year gpa for 4th years). chances might be slim tho.

UBC: depends on your grade conversion and how good your EC's are but chances are slim

Dal: You make mcat cut-offs but last 2 years have to be above 3.7 ... (they'll look at other years if you don't make 3.7 but i don't think that would help)

why have we cut Uof toronto so fast

UT drops the lowest x credits for every x year of study completed, assuming that you have always taken a full course load. I would also apply to mcmaster, they don't take 3.8+ people, the AVERAGE is 3.8, so there are people with more than 3.8 and less than 3.8. I say its worth a shot. It may be likely that the mean gpa average will drop. Furthermore 55% of the formula is attributed to gpa alone.

UofM: you might have a chance at (they drop 10 worst courses) depending on your WS i'ld say you need an R or higher.

UofS: don't bother

UofC: don't bother

UofA: Depending on your WS you might have a shot at alberta (they'll drop your lowest year gpa for 4th years). chances might be slim tho.

UBC: depends on your grade conversion and how good your EC's are but chances are slim

Dal: You make mcat cut-offs but last 2 years have to be above 3.7 ... (they'll look at other years if you don't make 3.7 but i don't think that would help)

Hi, sorry for hijacking this post, but how is the WS score weighted in UofM and UofA admission? I think it is included in your operative MCAT score right?

shouldn't u gain a massive advantage for being IP in quebec? why not apply to sherbrooke, Mcgill, etc?

I plan to apply to the quebec schools (as stated in my original post)

the only problems are:

1) I applied to McGill last year and got rejected pre-interview

2) I'm english so going to french school is a last resort

but of course if they accept me well..... bonjour!!

anyway just looking to cover my bases in case my IP schools dont show me any love.

justletmein,

your opening line came off as a bit bratty to me, but i think i also came off as a bit more of an ass than i intended to be. i have to admit that the information you are having a lot of trouble coming across is quite easily accessible (especially compared to finding similar info for US schools).

here's the help you asked for:

google queen's medicine, follow the undergrad link, then click on 'the cutoffs':

http://meds.queensu.ca/undergrad/admissions/the_cutoffs

google schulich medicine, click undergrad medicine, admissions:

http://www.schulich.uwo.ca/education/admissions/medicine/

and for ottawa, there is a discussion of their recently increased (strict) gpa cutoff on the first page of the ottawa premed boards.

I wouldn't bother applying to any of these schools.

Good Luck!

Archived