Premed 101 Forums

Questions about autobiographical sketch and reapplicants...

Regarding the ABS:

On the OMSAS website they have this blurb in the ABS section:

"To help you provide full information in the autobiographic

sketch, it is recommended that you:

a) consider and record (separate from the application) ALL

activities since age 16; and then

B) complete the application by arranging these activities into

the categories listed above. Please provide the information

in point form. Do not forward supplementary pages,

letters of recommendation, curriculum vitae, etc."

Does this mean we should mail in a more descriptive list of our activities? I ask this becuase it says provide the info in point form, which would be alot better than the half sentence your allowed to enter online for each activity (not enough to give a decent description)

Also would it be bad to put in activities that you are going to take part in this upcoming year, but haven't prior to the application.. for example if am going to get two leadership type positions this upcoming year would it be bad to put it on?

A question on reapplicants:

question i have is in regards to reapplicant status.. i took the MCAT sept 7, and i won't know my scores before i apply, so i was wondering, if i didn't get in this year becuase of not having a high enough MCAT, will it be harder to get in the following cylce? Do reapplicants get looked over more easily, or get less consideration?

Would i have to get new references for a reapplication cycle?

thanks

You would have to resubmit reference letters, but don't have to get "new references". I think reapplicants, it doesn't matter, at least not for Western or Queens. Most other schools should start you off on a clean slate.

If you put activities you haven't taken part in, you should be prepared to talk about them in an interview.

Regarding the ABS:

On the OMSAS website they have this blurb in the ABS section:

"To help you provide full information in the autobiographic

sketch, it is recommended that you:

a) consider and record (separate from the application) ALL

activities since age 16; and then

B) complete the application by arranging these activities into

the categories listed above. Please provide the information

in point form. Do not forward supplementary pages,

letters of recommendation, curriculum vitae, etc."

Does this mean we should mail in a more descriptive list of our activities? I ask this becuase it says provide the info in point form, which would be alot better than the half sentence your allowed to enter online for each activity (not enough to give a decent description)

doesnt it say "DO NOT FORWARD SUPPLEMENTARY PAGES"?? i think that means do what you can in the space provided. they dont want you to be wordy in the limited space provided, hence the instruction to use point form. get in as much info as possible and that's all you can do.

re-application does not affect how the schools look at you (except for ottawa which will ignore your application if you've applied and gotten interviews at their school 3 times and still failed to gain acceptance). Official stats show that re-applicants actually fare better than first timers, but that's probably due to increased experience with the process, and not because schools look at them any differently.

Archived