Premed 101 Forums

Turning down a job in a research lab because the prof is an *******?

MedPen

So I was offered a job in a research lab.

The job sounds great, something I'm really interested in but I've heard the prof that I'd be working for is an ass. Apparently, if you mess up, he will destroy your entire academic career and you'll never set foot in a lab again. He warned me that if I mess up, I'm out of there faster than I can say "But...".

I think it's pretty fair that he warned me but my friend says that in a teaching lab, you should be allowed to make mistakes and messing up is not a valid reason for dismissing a student...

What does everyone think?

Should I do it despite the risk that I might ruin my "academic" career?:confused:

Med application aside, this guy sounds like a prick. You should run out the door.

Mistakes at labs happen ALL THE TIME. Everybody makes mistakes, and likely the PI did/does too. To threaten his own students like that .. that's just harsh and condescending.

Definitely don't take this job.

Be very careful when you choose which lab to work for. It's worth it to take more time to find a lab where you feel at home and are respected by the professor. He seems like someone you can't trust to make your experience worthwile no matter how interesting the research is, and you also run the risk of getting damaging reference letters (and you will likely have to use him as a reference).

In my opinion: Run! It's not worth damaging the rest of your career! I have seen it happen, and you deserve better.

Archived