Premed 101 Forums

Mmi

Tei

Basically, all I've heard has been about how you CAN'T prepare for it, because the scenarios are so random. I think the best way to "prepare" would be to continuously expose yourself to other points of view on various issues, but that's not something that will provide a massive yield in just 3-4 months.

I think that there are things that you can do to be prepared for MMI, but there is always an unknown element because the questions/scenarios can be a bit random.

1. Find out if your school has seminars/workshops about medical school interviews. Sign up.

2. Make up/find on the internet a set of possible MMI questions.

3. By yourself or with a friend, pull out a card and simulate the interview scenario. You want to have an intrinsic idea of the time limits. You want to fill the entire time allowed, but don't want to run out of time.

4. Answer each question, but always relate it to why you would make a great doctor, and why you would make a great student at their school.

5. Find out if your school has mock interviews. Sign up.

6. Repeat steps 3-6 as many times as necessary or as many times as your school will let you sign up for mock interviews.

• 1 month later...

The way I prepared for it was to do a self-inventory. I went through all of my strengths + weaknesses, the experiences that led me to choose med as a career, and examples of things that would make me a good doctor.

When it came to the MMI, NONE of my prep directly applied. :)

Still, the act of doing the inventory gave me a coherent understanding of myself and I was able to use this self-awareness to answer the questions more easily. If I were to go back and do my interviews all over again, I'd read some books on conflict resolution *hint hint, nudge nudge*

Guest gleevec

A friend of mine (who also got into a Canadian medical school) gave me this tip for interviews: Format your answer the same way you would an MCAT essay. If you are given an ethical scenario , first explain one side of the issue, then the other, and then summarize what you would do an why (here where you can add the personal twist so you don't sound like a robot). I thought that this was a really good way to show that you have a good understanding of complex issues and can make tough decisions. And it helps keep you focused during the MMI time crunch.

(disclaimer: she gave me this info AFTER my interview, and I still slipped in)

• 4 weeks later...

For anyone who is interested, a group at McMaster published a couple papers about their experience with the MMI when it was implented a few years back. They give the rationale for this interview system and talk about the feedback that they received from the students and interviewers who participated.

Sounds like a substantial percentage of Canadian med schools are leaning towards the MMI... probably a really good thing.

1. Eva KW, Rosenfeld J, Reiter HI, Norman GR. (2004). An admissions OSCE: The Multiple Mini-Interview. Medical Education 38: 314-326.

2. Eva KW, Reiter HI, Rosenfeld J, Norman GR. (2004). The ability of the Multiple Mini-Interview to predict pre-clerkship performance in medical school. Academic Medicine 79: S40-S42.

You should be able to access these journals through your school's library system.

Manitoba is definitely doing it this year as is Calgary, McMaster and I think university of Alberta.

If anyone knows where I could find some examples of MMI questions I would very much appreciate it. I have at least two MMI interviews coming up and I don't really know what to expect.

For anyone who is interested, a group at McMaster published a couple papers about their experience with the MMI when it was implented a few years back. They give the rationale for this interview system and talk about the feedback that they received from the students and interviewers who participated.

Sounds like a substantial percentage of Canadian med schools are leaning towards the MMI... probably a really good thing.

1. Eva KW, Rosenfeld J, Reiter HI, Norman GR. (2004). An admissions OSCE: The Multiple Mini-Interview. Medical Education 38: 314-326.

2. Eva KW, Reiter HI, Rosenfeld J, Norman GR. (2004). The ability of the Multiple Mini-Interview to predict pre-clerkship performance in medical school. Academic Medicine 79: S40-S42.

You should be able to access these journals through your school's library system.

Thanks for sharing that.

Archived