Premed 101 Forums

A worried pre-med student...

No, it's not about grades, nor is it about the MCAT, the interview, r anything else related to the application to medical schools. It is about a particular psychological condition that is known as the "Trouble anxieux" in French(sorry I'm not too sure of its name in English). Basically, I feel like everyone BUT me is completely sane. As a result, I have a particulary low self-esteem. It's as if everything that comes out of my mouth is worthless and as a matter of fact I'm terrible when it comes to having my own opinion in a team project. Moreover, I tend to ask many questions to teachers and employers, because I always work in the worry of doing something wrong...

I know residency is a brutally crucial part of medical school during which students are being constantly evaluated. I'm afraid that due to my condition, I might just get poorly reviewed by doctors and as a result I wouldn't get t specialize in what I want to do (orthopedics).

Now I would like a honest opinion from the medical students...Would I survive residency?

Thank you very much for your help

I'm not in residency yet, but I can tell you that even in first year, anxiety disorders are a potential significant problem. Even relatively relaxed individuals with whom I study experience higher than average stress, and as a medical student I think we have to be really, really good at managing anxiety. I think you would survive, but I definitely advise you to work on it asap to get better. Your life will be so much easier if you do.

Managing anxiety is a skill that we must work to developp, much like everything else you need to learn to be a good doctor. The good news is that people who are good at learning the other typical skills (ie getting good marks, doing ec's...) are usually good at learning how to manage anxiety too, provided they get good help. I personally advise you to see if you can get cognitive-behavioral therapy for your anxiety/self esteem problems, which is a kind of potentially scary, long way to say anxiety management coaching. If you find the right person to do it with, I think it would be greatly beneficial. Many medical students get such help, but I would do it sooner, rather than later, if I were in your position. Don't hesitate to pm me if you have questions or would like more info.

Honestly, I think you are ahead of the game. Most med students don't realize they can't handle stuff like that until they get here (since they are accustom to being the best and not failing.) Since you know, you can try to receive counselling now to help you prepare for those inevitable times in the future where such demoralizing events occur.

Having said that, if you don’t get help, or you can’t ever shake this, then yeah, you’d be a mess in both medical school and residency, because you will fail, and you will be told about it (sometimes not politely). You will always be in a process of evaluation. So yeah, not to scare you, but it is something to be aware of.

Hi Citan,

I don`t think the comments you get on this board with be adequate to decide if a career in medicine is feasible. So please take people's opinions with a grain of salt.

It is good you are thinking ahead to residency. But, my suggestion is to think more globally and ask yourself if you would be able to meet the expectations/requirements of a physcian and in your specific case an orthopedic surgeon.

Being a physician, you will need to make decisions, sometimes under alot of pressure. There won`t be someone around for you to ask and reassure that you are making the right decision. And also, others will come to you to help with their decision making.

Your patients will be trusting you with their lives and well-being. Will you be able to instill trust in your competency etc?

These are questions only you can answer. You could perhaps meet with your psychiatrist/physician who has been managing your anxiety disorder and ask his/her opinion as he/she knows you much more than we on this board do.

Good luck

Guest begaster

You should consider seeing a psychologist (or psychiatrist, if you prefer). You know you have a serious anxiety problem and it clearly isn't having a positive impact on your life.

I'm not in residency, so I can't speak for your chances of survival there, but, quite frankly, I wouldn't want someone who was too afraid of making a decision to be looking after me.

Everything all right? Midterms go ok?

Yeah man, you all right? Pretty big change in a little more than a week.

aww...you two are so sweet...it's nice to see some genuine compassion in an internet forum like this...cuz of you guys, my faith in humanity has been restored. :cool::D

Citan, i too hope everything is alright...there have been times when i've almost had it too with this whole process...for example, right now! :rolleyes:...i hope u'll give it a lot of thought and come to the right decision that will make you happy in the end.

Oh everything's alright...I'm just starting to realize that no matter how hard I try I never seem to make the cut-offs, my ECs are anything but stellar, as years pass I feel that I would never make a good doctor, I have the lowest self-esteem ever, I'm almost completely anti-social, I'm anxious about virtually everything, I feel like I'm completly stupid...

...oh yeah, and I was recently diagnosed with Hungtinton's Disease...

Oh no...there's nothing wrong with me...at all >_>

Sorry for being an ass with everyone, these are dark times for me. I'll think long and hard about this. Thanks.

Oh everything's alright...I'm just starting to realize that no matter how hard I try I never seem to make the cut-offs, my ECs are anything but stellar, as years pass I feel that I would never make a good doctor, I have the lowest self-esteem ever, I'm almost completely anti-social, I'm anxious about virtually everything, I feel like I'm completly stupid...

...oh yeah, and I was recently diagnosed with Hungtinton's Disease...

Oh no...there's nothing wrong with me...at all >_>

Sorry for being an ass with everyone, these are dark times for me. I'll think long and hard about this. Thanks.

*hugs*

Did you discuss your feelings and emotions with your doctor? I'm definitely no expert, but I've heard that depression and anxiety are indeed some of the symptoms of Huntington's disease. Have you ever spoken to a counselor or asked for a referral to a psychiatrist for your symptoms? Maybe your feelings of low self-esteem and negative outlook can be successfully managed with antidepressants. This may be the only thing currently limiting your performance in school, so I would encourage you to consider all options. I think you should at least give it a try and see if it results in an improvement in your attitude and level of functioning when it comes to school, relationships, etc. Also, I wouldn't give up on your career hopes just because of your illness - it may not have a cure now, but it could easily have one 20 years from today. *hugs again*

Thanks for your messages everyone.

I was told that my case could be as severe as my mother's, meaning that I by the late 30s, I will start having bizarre behaviors with my entourage, indication the progression of the degenration of the neurons. By age 43, I'll probably be locked on a hospital bed forever.

Normally, even HD wouldn't stop me...but since I'm such a poor student and I will never make the cut-offfs whatever I do, I just don't feel like wasting the next few years of my life trying to get into med knowing damn well I'm not gonna make it. And no, I don't think consulting a psychiatrist would help me get better grades...at least not in the short term. And that's the whole problem: I just don't have time anymore.

I wish I hadn't wasted so much time already. Unfortunately, having changed degrees two or three times already, the damage is already done...My course path is pretty much a mess (ok, my GPA is not bad, around 3.4, but it's no med material..and besides, I even got a "W" during a semester). I would still have at least three more years to go...

Now am I quitting? I really don't know, as I can't make a final decision in that state of mind...However, knowing pretty well that I have not a single characteristic that makes a good doctor, I would say med is definitely passé for me...

Avenir: You BETTER not quit you hear? I'm sure you'll make it and have agreat avenir. And...don't forget the Nobel! :)

Julie: I sent you a PM...actually, TWO Pms since I couldn't fit it all in one message :P

Jochi: *hugs bacK* Hey, you're pretty good at it. You should give hug-o-matics classes. :eek: I'm definitely going to consult a psychiatrist (recommended by my doctor anyway...now I may have the opportunity to chase away some long term demons...)

Thanks everyone

Citan, i don't even know what to say that u haven't already heard...i admire ur courage...lately i've met/learned about a few amazing ppl in my family/acquaintances who are dealing with way more than anyone should have to deal with...and with such grace...and honestly, it's just changing my whole perspective on life...i mean my life hasn't been perfect by any means, but i'm realizing more and more how unpredictable it can be from one day to the next..and how we should really just make the most of each day..i'm still gonna try for med for a couple yrs because i've spent so much time and effort on it already...but if it doesn't happen, it's not gonna be the nightmare i once thought it would be...not when i see how someone who's been supporting a disabled husband and making ends meet for years, who only a few years ago finally gained some stability in her job and bought a house and a car, has now been diagnosed with ovarian cancer and is losing her independence and all that she's worked so hard for...simple as that...so yeah, that's my perspective right now...life is crazy..it's unfair..and it's not worth all the heartache over stupid things...

anywayy...i'm sure u'll be awesome at whatever you decide to do :cool:...plz just try and keep in touch from time to time in WED thread or wherever...don't disappear on us like unknown, bane, aranndil, and all the rest of 'em!..some of us are lonely here, and don't want to keep losing runaway friends :D

Citan,

It is terrible that you have to be dealing with all of this anxiety and self esteem issues in addition to such an unforgiving and serious condition. Even if you are no longer interested in MED, etc. you need to get these feelings and behaviours under control. No matter what you future holds, you have to always remember to SIEZE THE DAY and thus treasure every moment of every day. You will not be able to do this if you are feeling sad and inferior to the more "academically strong" , etc. . I am sure that you will find if you look close enough that these "sane" people who look like they have it together are really just more proficient at putting up a shell and that they are really just as insecure and worrisome as the rest of us if not more. You have to find a way to bypass these insecurities and make the most out of every experience. You can do this through medical treatment, religion, self help regimens (I have had personal positive experiences with these), etc..

Best of Luck

;)

Archived