Premed 101 Forums

when do we find out if we get an interview?

hahahaha. SO MEAN DANTE!! don't do this to us in december please.

by the way, was Queens cut off ever 32?

naaa i'm not that mean (and if i did it in december, you could easily check the cutoffs posted, and if you've met them, then who cares when your letter comes, you know it means you got an interview.) And yes, Queens had a 10/10/10 32O but switched last year to a 10/10/10 30P instead. So stop sweating if you've got a 10/10/10 32P or higher :P but in all reality, it's hard to predict... you'd think of all years, last year would have had the peak in scores.

naaa i'm not that mean (and if i did it in december, you could easily check the cutoffs posted, and if you've met them, then who cares when your letter comes, you know it means you got an interview.) And yes, Queens had a 10/10/10 32O but switched last year to a 10/10/10 30P instead. So stop sweating if you've got a 10/10/10 32P or higher :P but in all reality, it's hard to predict... you'd think of all years, last year would have had the peak in scores.

Just a minor point - before, the cutoffs were 9/10/9 32O. The drop in overall score was accompanied by the increase in the cutoffs for the component scores.

I'm in the same boat as a couple of the others here - I'm sitting at 10/10/11 31Q. I'm hoping that the change in focus towards balanced scores remains for this cycle.

Guest begaster

Have a 13/12/11 (36S) split, so not worried about the MCAT. What I am worried about is the cumulative GPA. I'm sitting on a 3.73, which is uncomfortably close to last year's cut-off of 3.68. Does anyone know what the GPA cutoffs for the last few years have been?

Have a 13/12/11 (36S) split, so not worried about the MCAT. What I am worried about is the cumulative GPA. I'm sitting on a 3.73, which is uncomfortably close to last year's cut-off of 3.68. Does anyone know what the GPA cutoffs for the last few years have been?

The GPA cutoffs have remianed almost constant - two years ago, the cutoffs were the same, at 3.68 overall/3.78 last two years. I also looked at the cutoffs back in my first year (5 years ago - I'm 2nd year M.Sc.), and I'm pretty certain they were about the same - definately about 3.65-3.68 range, and assuredly not above 3.7. You should be fine.

Here's a list of the GPA cut-offs for the past number of years:

- 2000: 3.56

- 2001: 3.57

- 2002: 3.57

- 2003: 3.59

- 2004: 3.62

- 2005: 3.66

- 2006: 3.68 (3.78 for most recent 2 years)

- 2007: 3.68 (3.78 for most recent 2 years)

I will not meet the cGPA cut-offs. My GPA from my most recent 2 years is 3.78. Thus, I'm hoping that that cut-off does not go up at all.

Here's hoping!

Elaine

Here's a list of the GPA cut-offs for the past number of years:

- 2000: 3.56

- 2001: 3.57

- 2002: 3.57

- 2003: 3.59

- 2004: 3.62

- 2005: 3.66

- 2006: 3.68 (3.78 for most recent 2 years)

- 2007: 3.68 (3.78 for most recent 2 years)

I will not meet the cGPA cut-offs. My GPA from my most recent 2 years is 3.78. Thus, I'm hoping that that cut-off does not go up at all.

Here's hoping!

Elaine

Wow, this sort of analysis really drives home how much more competitive the application process has gotten in recent years. Do you have the MCAT data for the same period of time?

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Genuine

Just a short question:

How are you guys preparing for your interviews? Are you all planning to attend mock interviews? I have no idea what you guys should be doing to prepare...

Anyways, just a first year student opening his mouth... :rolleyes:

Well many people do different things... Websites like this often have peoples' experiences with interviews or people sometimes post example questions (some people check these out to get an idea of what type of questions they may be asked). I think people need to be aware of the nature of their interview, like at UWO it's closed file... but at U of T they know everything!! So you should prepare accordingly, know your application inside out...

Some people don't really prepare at all, for fear of sounding too rehearsed. Others prepare constantly! Personally, I think it would be good to look over your application - just to remind yourself of the things you have done (and things you have said for open file... or things you want to make sure to bring up in closed file interviews). I'd probably plan the general points you'd like to bring up for really open ended questions like "Tell me about yourself...", "Why Medicine?", "Why our program?"... because under the stress of an interview, it's really easy to start going down the wrong path for those.

Some people do set up mock interviews - I honestly think this is a great idea! At UWO, people can set up mock interviews and even have them taped! It's an excellent resource.

People have also recommended staying up to date with current events and maybe checking out some ethical scenarios.

I guess it's important to just - stay calm and hope for the best! :)

• 4 weeks later...
Ok. So today is Wednesday the 19th. The cut offs should be up soon....

(For sure I won't make the GPA cut, but I hope they can overlook that because I'm a graduate student.. I really need to make the MCAT cut though.)

Yeah, I've been refreshing the cutoffs page periodically for the last few days... Fingers crossed for the overall MCAT staying at 30 and not increasing back to 32...

Archived