Premed 101 Forums

when do we find out if we get an interview?

• 3 weeks later...
Hi, I was just wondering if anyone anticipates the cutoff for the writing sample to increase? I'm a grad student and am nervous about meeting the mcat cutoff. My mcat score is 32P.

When I emailed them they said early jan they will be decided and posted.

It may make you feel better to know there are 4-500 less applicants this year

When I emailed them they said early jan they will be decided and posted.

It may make you feel better to know there are 4-500 less applicants this year

Thanks for the info Alastriss. Does this mean that the cutoff is less likely to increase due to the smaller applicant pool? Or are you getting at the fact that there is less competition in general? Sorry for all the questions.

Thanks for the info Alastriss. Does this mean that the cutoff is less likely to increase due to the smaller applicant pool? Or are you getting at the fact that there is less competition in general? Sorry for all the questions.

I have mixed feelings. I think that the double cohort effect is diminishing, however applications for mac dropped only by 100 or so. I think that Western and Queens saw that 500 drop was because people know their mcat score and can gauge whether or not its worth the $75. when most people wrote in august they would apply and hope for the best and receive their scores AFTER. Now people with 6,7,8, or anything less than an O on ws don't bother. People with 9s may well apply and might as well cuz its worth a shot, even tho its on the slim side.

It may be possible that LESS people will get cut. IE if before the mcat cutoff cut out 500/1000 of remaining applicants (after the gpa cut) applicants, to leave 500 applicants for interview, then this year it may be that it cuts out 100/600 applicants, still leaving the 500. The 400 difference are those that just didnt bother applying because they knew their marks didn't even bother.

It is also possible that we have less applicants period, not just less non-competitive applicants (stats wise). UWO said i think that the drop in applicants to their school was not having enough mcat administration seats and people didnt get a chance to write. I don't know how true that is..they did increase the seat number with the CBT but the problem was that the test writing days (may, june, jan) weren't the best of times for students who come out of end of april burned out with exams.

I think a realistic and probably anticipation is that the cutoffs will at worst remain the same, or drop a little bit. May 0.01 or 0.02 gpa, or the we'd ahve the 10/10/10 32 O mcat deal going on again.

Guess we'll have to wait and see

• 3 weeks later...

lol, the funniest thing just happened. I have had my email open all morning and about a minute ago, i got an email from 'admissionsmd'. I thought it was the decision email from queens but it turns out that its just a reminder from another school..haha

lol, the funniest thing just happened. I have had my email open all morning and about a minute ago, i got an email from 'admissionsmd'. I thought it was the decision email from queens but it turns out that its just a reminder from another school..haha

LOL i just did the same thing :) my heart must have jumped 30 feet

I just got home from cutting my hair off (The whole cuts for cancer thing) and was sad to see nothing there. I was just opening up other emails I got while way for the last hour and then my outlook did a recheck and it was there!!!!

I got an interview. My MCAT is 10,10,10 S and my GPA on their way I think is 3.82

Dude man...sorry to hear that. Try not to blame yourself because you were going on past trends...I'm certain you aren't the only one with a 9 in a subsection chose not to apply. Also, for those out there with awesome scores but didn't make the R mark, hope you got interview elsewhere because R (in my opinion) is kind of a high standard...even for the medical applicant pool.

I hear you on not applying. My boyfriend did that with Queens. It was before he got his MCAT back but he was convinced he did poorly...he ended up with a 12, 11, 12, R ...and kicked himself for it. So I decided to apply to all of Ontario so I would not have to live with the quick in the butt.

Archived