Premed 101 Forums

How is the GPA cut-off made for your 2 year GPA?

Hi,

If you have 2 full years of undergraduate GPA(both above the require 2 year GPA), followed by a part-time year, how is your GPA calculated? That is to say, for instance:

year 1-Full time

year 2- full time--above 3.78

year 3-full time--above 3.78

year 4- part time

So, if someone has a 4th year of part time studies, how will that affect the 2 year GPA?

Thanks

How many courses did you take during year 4? If 3.0 courses or more, years 3 and 4 would be counted for your two-year GPA. If you took less than 3.0 courses during year 4, then your two-year GPA would be computed using years 2 and 3.

Elaine

i think queen's is pretty explicit... your last 2 years will be taken into account... are you currently in your 4th year? if so, then it will be years 2/3. If your 4th year is part time (as defined by your school) then i think it is ignored... i'm not sure if queens mentions their policy on part time years (but i think the general consencuse *yes i can't spell* is that part time is not so good... don't do it if you can help it)

and if you said you took 4 courses/semester, that means you're full time at virtually every university, so your 4th year will be considered (ie year 3/4 will make up the average) unless again you are in your 4th year at the moment.

I think that is school dependent(depending on your school's definition of full time studies); however, I took 4 courses/semester. Regardless, lets say that my 4th year is considered part-time, will be based on years 2& 3? How does it work out?

If you took 4 courses per semester, you will be considered full time. As such, your year 3 and 4 marks will be considered. Had you taken less than 3.0 courses during your 4th year, then your marks for years 2 & 3 would have been counted when computing your two-year GPA. That is, Queen's considers your last two full time years (which they define as 3.0 courses or more) when computing your two-year GPA.

Queen's only uses marks from complete years at the time of application. Therefore, if your 4th year is in progress when you apply, they will not use those marks. If, however, you are applying after having completed your 4th year, then they will use those marks.

Elaine

• 4 weeks later...
If you took 4 courses per semester, you will be considered full time. As such, your year 3 and 4 marks will be considered. Had you taken less than 3.0 courses during your 4th year, then your marks for years 2 & 3 would have been counted when computing your two-year GPA. That is, Queen's considers your last two full time years (which they define as 3.0 courses or more) when computing your two-year GPA.

Queen's only uses marks from complete years at the time of application. Therefore, if your 4th year is in progress when you apply, they will not use those marks. If, however, you are applying after having completed your 4th year, then they will use those marks.

Elaine

Could someone tell me what they know for the 'full-time' requirements for certain med schools? I honestly thought after reading Queen's website that they wants three years of 5-courses per semester?

The schools I am mainly interested in for this is U of A, UBC, Queen's.

This question is similar to my situation.

Technically I believe all Universities consider a school year to be Fall/Spring not Spring/Fall.

So if someone (say myself) started their undergraduate studies in the Spring, rather than the fall, but was full-time studies during that semester (4.0 courses) will there be any implications? How will this affect one's GPA calculation (overall GPA calc.)?

well you can either write them a letter explaining your odd situation, or they will simply take your fall/spring years into account: ie if you started in spring, your classes would be:

spring, fall, spring, fall, spring, fall etc... so they can just group them as:

spring, fall/spring, fall/spring, etc... possibly ignoring the lone spring session at the biginning of your university years and the lone fall session at the end of your degree. in all likelihood though, the number of courses in the lone semester would suffice to qualify you as full time. (eg. mcgill asks that you maintain a full course load each semester, such that you take 15 credits per semester, or that the average course load of all the semesters taken is 15, effectively eliminating those who try to ease their courseloads by taking some of their year's credits in the summer session)

Thanks for the advice, I emailed Queen's like you said. This is the reply I got, hopefully it will help others:

"......

Next, we require 15 credits (minimum), you can take these in as little or as

much time as you need. We do not have a full-time requirement.

I hope this helps.

XXXXXXXXXXX

Admissions Officer

Undergraduate Medical Education

Queen's University

68 Barrie Street

Kingston, Ontario K7L 3N6

Tel: 613-533-3307

Fax: 613-533-3190

http://meds.queensu.ca/undergrad/admissions "

so do we have to meet both the 3.78 last two years and 3.68 overall, or is it just one or the other?

You just have to meet one of the GPA cut-offs. If your overall GPA meets the cut-off (which is subject to change each year), then your MCAT will be looked at. If your overall GPA doesn't meet the cut-off, they will look at your last two years.

Elaine

• 1 month later...
If if you apply in third year (so your GPA from just the first two years will be considered), are you still eligible for Queen's calculation of your GPA using the best two years scheme? The reason why I am asking this is because I don't think I will meet the cGPA cut-off but when my summer course from first year is excluded from the best two years calculation, I will meet the second cut-off.

Thanks in advance

Yes, if you don't meet the cGPA cut, they go to the "last two years" cutoff. :)

Archived