Premed 101 Forums

? about NOMS

Guest sasho71

Guest sasho71

Is there anybody who have intention to apply to Northern Ontario Medical School? after graduation it must to work at North Ontario, this is ridiculous, I think.

Guest aneliz

NOMS cannot control where you will work after graduation...and there is no 'return of service' contract, so they cannot dictate where you will do your residency or practice. However, the mandate of the school is train general physicians for northern, remote and rural Ontario....and they will be selecting their students so that they will fulfill that mandate.

This means that they will select students that they think will be interested in working in the Northern and rural communities anyways...not trying to force students that have never had an interest in these communities into them after they graduate.

As a result, their selection critieria will heavily favour students from certain areas/backgrounds. They have already stated that they will provide 'advantages' in the admissions process to students from the North, aboriginal students and francophone students. I imagine that they will use their autobiographical submissions and interview to gauge students' commitment to and compatibility with the Northern communities and the school's mandate.

Bottom line: they are not investing the money into a new medical school in Northern Ontario so that they can train another 50 students from the GTA that will run back to the GTA the second they graduate...and you can bet that there will be initial selection criteria designed to make sure this doesn't happen. They will not be forcing anyone to do anything after they graduate...they will be hoping that their initial selection process produces the graduates that they are looking for - people that are interested in and able to work successfully and happily in Northern, underserviced communities.

Guest Raven526

In response to your post I am applying. Here's me.

38 (I'm a little leary about applying due to my age). I live in Timmins and have a cool gov't job. I'm fluent in French and native with my 4 yr. B.Sc. in bio from Guelph. I've lived and worked up north my whole life (except to go to university). I'm torn between applying in the aboriginal stream or mainstream as a mature student since my marks weren't so hot when I graduated 14 years ago (2.9).

Any advice would be appreciated on which stream to apply to. I've sent in this inquiry to Laurentian and haven't heard back yet.

Raven

Guest walkorbike

Hi, Raven!

How are you? I am delighted to see that you are applying to NOMS. I do not know that much about the specific requirements of the school, so can't advise you there about which stream to apply into, but I am sure that someone affiliated with the school could offer you advising. If that contact at Laurentian doesn't get back to you, I would suggest trying someone else at NOMS. If there is an aboriginal stream, given your background, that seems to me to be the appropriate way for you to apply.

I am similiar in age and grades (overall 3.0/4.0) to you and aboriginal and was very fortunate this year in receiving offers at Queen's and UBC. I applied at both schools in the aboriginal admissions streams. (I did write the MCATS.) When I interviewed at Queen's, I had to explain why, given my interest in First Nations/aboriginal community health, I was not applying at NOMS! No one said, your grades are inadequate so you should leave!

If you are thinking of writing your MCATS, or even if you are not, I would suggest getting in touch very soon with Mr. James Andrew, Aboriginal Programs Coordinator at UBC. UBC is offering a pre-admissions workshop for aboriginal/First Nations student interested in health care careers and the registration deadline is coming soon. He could also offer some advice. Here is the link to the First Nations House of Learning at UBC.

The Longhouse

I wish you all the best in your journey. I am sure you have honed excellent interpersonal skills in your work with the government, which will serve you well in medicine, and your connections and background in the north seem ideal for NOMS. Hope to meet you out there sometime!

-walkorbike

p.s. CALM or Canadian Aboriginal Leaders in Medicine might be a good group to check in with. They do not seem to have much of a web presence yet, though.

p.p.s. Don't worry about age at all.

Guest Raven526

Hey, thanks for the encouragement! I will get in touch with that contact. I take it the MCAT is a requirement at UBC. I saw your post under the Queen's area under the 'accepted' post and asked you a similar question. I was glad we connected on this thread.

Where are you from?

Raven

Guest walkorbike

Dear Raven,

While you don't need the MCAT for Universite d'Ottawa, McMaster, NOMS, and the French-speaking schools in Quebec, you do for UBC.

I didn't mean to imply earlier that getting into medical school is easy, because of course it is not, but it is possible.

I grew up in Newfoundland and Labrador. I remember exchanging posts with you on the Queen's board. Nice to hear from you and good luck.

-walkorbike

Guest aneliz

Raven,

I think that you are exactly the type of candidate that NOMS will be looking for...don't worry about your age at all!

I would encourage you to take advantage of any first nations programs or application streams that you are eligible for. All of these programs have been created to assist native students (no other reason) ...and one of their biggest problems right now is that there are very few students that are interested in taking advantage of them (many native students are in the main application pool). NOMS has stated publicly that they will provide advantages to native students in the application process... if you qualify for the advantages, I would say take them...but of course it is up to you.

Guest Raven526

Thanks Aneliz, I have already heard back from NOMS & they suggest I apply in the aboriginal stream. In fact they put me in touch with a Dr. who assists with the process. I am taking full advantage of my situation and have decided to apply and quit my gov't job if accepted.

Raven

Guest tirisa

Hi Elaine,

I have reviewed the NOMS application description and the NOMS website and cannot seem to find the essay question that you refer to. Could you post the questions if you have a chance, or describe again where I can find them?

Cheers,

Teresa

Guest Elaine I

Here are the questions, taken directly off of the OMSAS application. (I also did not find them on the NOMS site.)

- Why are you applying to NOMS? (1500 characters)

- How have your academic, work and life experiences prepared you for being a student at NOMS and for studying and working in rural, remote and/or norther urban communities? (1500 char)

- Describe how you are involved in your community. (1500 char)

- List activities and interests outside academic and work environments not detailed elsewhere in the application. (750 char)

- Give a recent example of how you used a computer to learn something. (750 char)

- From the past two years, please give an example of your most enjoyable and productive learning experience. (750 char)

- If you answered "Mature Student" for "Type of application" under question 1, please answer the following. Please describe how your work and life experience contribute to your ability to successfully complete the Medical Program at NOMS. (1000 char)

- Specify the high school from which you graduated.

Curiously enough, the name for NOMS appears not as "Northern Ontario Medical School" but as "Northern Ontario School of Medicine". I wonder if they are trying to get away from the term "NOMS"?

Elaine

Guest chenzy

Hi-

Does anyone know the NOMS definition of Francophone? Will only Franco-Ontarians be advantaged in the admissions process or will all Canadian Francophones have an advantage?

I am also wondering about the mature student policy. Is it detailed anywhere? Is there any advantage to applying as a mature student, other than enabling one to apply with a 3 year undergraduate degree?

Thanks

Guest Elaine I

There used to be a draft copy of the Mature Student Policy on the web; however, I can no longer locate it. Dr. Konkin told me that they will consider other factors, such as work in health care. I suggest you contact Dr. Konkin, as she was always great about providing information via e-mail.

Students who indentify themselves as "mature students" are asked to answer one additional question as part of the OMSAS application: "Please describe how your work and life experience contribute to your ability to successfully complete the Medical Program at NOMS. (max 1000 characters)"

Elaine

Archived