Premed 101 Forums

Disability Insurance thru CFMS?

Hey all!

I was wondering if anyone on this board had anything positive or negative to say about the disability insurance offered through CFMS? Today, they made a sales pitch which seemed really enticing (aren't all of them like that?:rolleyes: ) but I wanted to hear from you guys what your opinion of disability insurance for med students (and CFMS's plan) is so I can make a more informed decision whether

I should go for it or not.

Thanks!

I'm not sure about the CFMS plan... I have the Adium insurance plan through our provincial medical association.

I'm for disability insurance. the premiums are ridiculously cheap (I think it was $75 a year for the first two years, and then up to $125 for the last two years). If you are someone who has lots of debt that you may need to make monthly payments on, or rely on LOC/student loans to pay for your living expenses, having DI makes a lot of sense. If you are unable to attend school, I believe my plan pays out $2400/month for up to one year. That would be a huge help. I bought my DI when I was well, but I came ridiculously close to being too ill to go to school this september. Knowing that I had DI to fall back on was a great comfort.

Of course, if your living expenses/tuition are completely payed for by parents or scholarship or your own cash, it may not make sense to get DI.

I also have disability insurance through the OMA. $75/year and they reimburse my OMA annual fees. It is much more expensive after you graduate from medical school, but you can rest assured it is not-for-profit, and if they collect too much money it is reimbursed back to those with insurance.

Archived