Premed 101 Forums

cut-offs

Hi everyone,

I am a long time lurker, first time poster. I think this is a great website. I want to vent a little frustration about the med school admissions process. I really wanted to go to western for several reasons. But I will never get in because my stats are GPA 3.91 MCAT 35Q with a 9 in VR. The MCAT is too much time and effort to go through again. I understand that the schools need some standards (they can’t interview everybody). But it is frustrating that a computer will throw my application away when I have proven myself academically. Oh well, there are plenty of other schools that have better admission criteria.

I'm in a similar situation - I ended up just below the cut-off on one section even though I was getting 13s on the practice tests, because I didn't have earphones and the exam room was just too noisy too concentrate. But that's life, I suppose!

I understand the need to limit the applicant pool, but I do find it rather strange that a student with a 4.0 every year and 15-15-9 on the MCAT would be rejected (this isn't me - just theoretically), while a student with 3.7 in two years, a 2.5 in a third, and 10-10-10 on the MCAT would likely be interviewed.

But thankfully UWO is just one school - good luck applying other places! :)

Hi everyone,

I am a long time lurker, first time poster. I think this is a great website. I want to vent a little frustration about the med school admissions process. I really wanted to go to western for several reasons. But I will never get in because my stats are GPA 3.91 MCAT 35Q with a 9 in VR. The MCAT is too much time and effort to go through again. I understand that the schools need some standards (they can’t interview everybody). But it is frustrating that a computer will throw my application away when I have proven myself academically. Oh well, there are plenty of other schools that have better admission criteria.

i sure hope you applied to western at least... you are only one away from the cutoff... and since western's cutoffs change based on the applicant pool, you never know if you truly stand a chance. (especially with the number of increased spots this year at western). I'd also attempt an appeal... since all of your other numerical stats are so high, i think they might reconsider (especially since there's bound to be a few people who meet the cutoffs and possibly turn down an interview for whatever reasons) those extra spots might as well go to someone... and if you show that you care enough to appeal an automatic computer rejection, (and especially considering your gpa and overall mcat) that spot might go to you! call me an optimist, but you never know if you don't try... i've heard enough crazy freak stories of how people managed to get in that i've come to believe that there is definitely a gray area.

i sure hope you applied to western at least... you are only one away from the cutoff... and since western's cutoffs change based on the applicant pool, you never know if you truly stand a chance. (especially with the number of increased spots this year at western). I'd also attempt an appeal... since all of your other numerical stats are so high, i think they might reconsider (especially since there's bound to be a few people who meet the cutoffs and possibly turn down an interview for whatever reasons) those extra spots might as well go to someone... and if you show that you care enough to appeal an automatic computer rejection, (and especially considering your gpa and overall mcat) that spot might go to you! call me an optimist, but you never know if you don't try... i've heard enough crazy freak stories of how people managed to get in that i've come to believe that there is definitely a gray area.

Western is increasing its spots? how many more?

and btw, one person used to say, if you don't apply, you have 0% chance, but by simply taking the chance and applying, your chances are already a whole lot more better than 0%!

sorry for the misinformation, i knew that western was starting with it's windsor campus this year... a bit weird that they're taking the same number of people but sending a handful to windsor. it's only ottawa and mac that have increased spots this year.

a bit weird that they're taking the same number of people but sending a handful to windsor. it's only ottawa and mac that have increased spots this year.

Not that weird, actually. At its nadir the UWO class size was 90-something, and that wasn't too many years ago. There's been a significant increase in class size over the last few years, with a concomitant increase in demand on clinicians for teaching and on physical space and resources. A class of 147 at London simply isn't long-term sustaintable. The powers that be have always known that, but for various reasons it was decided to increase class size ahead of opening the Windsor campus and then keep the total number of spots the same but to redistribute them when the Windsor school opened.

so a bit off topic, but will the windsor students be taught by totally different professors etc... or will the system be somewhat similar to what UofT is doing by splitting lectures between the two campuses and broadcasting the lecture live to the campus where it isn't being held?

Archived