Premed 101 Forums

Is this a good plan for my pre-med at UBC?

Hello, I am currently a grade 12 student in BC, and I am considering to attend UBC next year. I would consider myself a fairly good student with an overall average of around 95%, so I think I should not have any problems being accepted into any program.

I am considering pursuing medicine as I am very interested in human physiology. However, I am also very passionate about computers and computer programming, so I am thinking about getting a combined major/honours in computer science and biology or possibly even a double major.

How much more work and effort would a combined major take to maintain a high GPA? If I decided to be involved in a co-op program, would I still be able to graduate in 4 years and have enough time to do the extra-curricular things required for acceptance into med school? I guess I could use the computer science part as a backup just in case I do not get accepted into med school, but since med school is my first priority, would this be a detriment to my pre-med education and acceptance?

Hello, I am currently a grade 12 student in BC, and I am considering to attend UBC next year. I would consider myself a fairly good student with an overall average of around 95%, so I think I should not have any problems being accepted into any program.

I am considering pursuing medicine as I am very interested in human physiology. However, I am also very passionate about computers and computer programming, so I am thinking about getting a combined major/honours in computer science and biology or possibly even a double major.

How much more work and effort would a combined major take to maintain a high GPA? If I decided to be involved in a co-op program, would I still be able to graduate in 4 years and have enough time to do the extra-curricular things required for acceptance into med school? I guess I could use the computer science part as a backup just in case I do not get accepted into med school, but since med school is my first priority, would this be a detriment to my pre-med education and acceptance?

Unfortunately, you will not be able to complete a bio / comp sci combined majors with co-op in four years, let alone with having any free time or mental rest for extracurricular activities. It is do-able, however, just with more time - but you really should look into descriptions of the upper level courses to see if they fit the bill for you.

UBC offers combined major for bio and computer science which is itself a 4 year program. co-op will usually last 2 terms outside school, so if you are planning on co-op, you are probably looking at 5 years at least. double major usually requires 5 year, however many computer science courses are offered in the summer, so i think it is possbile to do a double major of biology and com sci in 4 years. I personally has not done any double or combined major, but i did take the 3 2nd year com sci courses along with other 2nd year biochem courses. it will net you 3 - 4 labs a term (which would probably be less in bio program), but it is definitely manageable. if u like logic and programming like me, you would have a lot of fun in it. however, it was my busiest undergrad year, with little time for EC.

• 2 weeks later...

Frequent question on this forum. In my classes, the backgrounds are extremely diverse. Does it make it easier in med school if you have a science background (esp. physiology, pharmacology, and any clinical work is a +++++). Of course. But people are diverse in their pre-medical careers and obviously don't always (and shouldn't) just opt for the most medically related majors.

Do what makes you the happiest and what you enjoy the most. Learning medicine prior to getting into medicine isn't the end all, be all.

Physio

Archived