Premed 101 Forums

Seek advice...

Hello All,

I am in the process of completing a BSc (Psychology Major).

My first year was ok. However, there is certainly room for improvement. I hope to apply to medical school when I turn 40 years. Presently 38yrs.

I am worried that my first year will let me down, unless I complete the remainder of my degree with a better GPA. However, I may need to pursue a masters in science (psychology) before I apply to medical school to compensate for a so-so first year.

Looking advice from anyone.

p.s - Do medical school admissions look at prospective students that have a chronic medical condition less favorably (I have asthma). Would I be at a disadvantage?

I am worried that my first year will let me down, unless I complete the remainder of my degree with a better GPA. However, I may need to pursue a masters in science (psychology) before I apply to medical school to compensate for a so-so first year.

There are several schools that look at either your best or most recent 2-3 years. Thus, if you have strong marks in years 2 & 3, you may qualify for those schools. Check out Western (best 2 years with 5.0 courses, will include in progress year), Queen's (overall or most recent 2 year GPA), Dalhousie (most recent 2 years), Calgary (?best 2 years), Ottawa (most recent 3 years, increased weight on latter years), and NOSM (same weighting formula as Ottawa). Also, you said your first year was "okay". If you have 2-3 strong years, will your overall GPA be competitive?

Do medical school admissions look at prospective students that have a chronic medical condition less favorably (I have asthma). Would I be at a disadvantage?

As long as your medical condition won't get in the way of you practicing medicine, it won't be considered. In fact, you won't be asked about it. (There is a disability policy on the OMSAS website.)

Elane

Thanks Elaine for your advice. I will check out the websites of those schools you mentioned.

Also, you said your first year was "okay". If you have 2-3 strong years, will your overall GPA be competitive?

Elane

I am not sure. If I shoot for a GPA of 3.5 with years 2-3 would this be considered competitive? If not, would pursuing a masters help me?

I am not sure. If I shoot for a GPA of 3.5 with years 2-3 would this be considered competitive? If not, would pursuing a masters help me?

The schools that only look at 2-3 years usually require a higher GPA. Dalhousie requires 3.7. The recent cut-off at Western has also been 3.7, while at Queen's it has been 3.78. Ottawa has an even higher cut, at ~3.85.

A graduate degree will not help you with regard to GPA at Western or Dalhousie, as they only look at undergrad courses. At Queen's, a Masters degree will help you, provided you meet the MCAT cut-off. I don't know the details of Ottawa, but I believe a Masters will help you there as well.

Best wishes!

Elaine

Archived