Premed 101 Forums

USMLE and CaRMS

Hi,

I was told that if you write the USMLE then you need to show the results for CaRMS and it can affect your application/match. Is there any truth to this? I'm thinking of writing step 1 in the summer but I don't want poor results to affect my ability to match. Thanks!

Hi,

I was told that if you write the USMLE then you need to show the results for CaRMS and it can affect your application/match. Is there any truth to this? I'm thinking of writing step 1 in the summer but I don't want poor results to affect my ability to match. Thanks!

Hi there,

Yes, if you've written USMLE then there is a spot within the CaRMS application where you can place the USMLE information. As to how the programs use it, or if they do, you'd have to ask each program. US programs often favour USMLE scores but most Canadian schools wouldn't give a hoot, I'd reckon.

Cheers,

Kirsteen

I've heard from IMGs that if you write the USMLE you don't have to write the MCCEE exams when applying for residency within Canada. However, I haven't found any IMG who has successfully obtained residency in Canada without writing the MCCEE exams and only writing the USMLE. Any thoughts/information on this??

Thanks!

Archived