Premed 101 Forums

How much embryology during medical school?

How much emphasis is there on embrylology at med school? I am trying to decide whether to keep or sell my textbook from my recent course in embryology. The only reason that I would keep it is if I was going to require it extensively during medical school. I have applied to Western, Queen's and Dalhousie.

Thanks for your help!

Elaine

I don't know if this applies to you, but if you took ANA301 (embryology) in the undergraduate program at U of T, you're able to be exempted from the embryology section that Dr. Taylor/Wiley (don't remember which) teaches in first year U of T med.

EDIT: I'm an undergraduate myself, so I don't know the full details, but from what I just posted, is this accurate?

True.

Those who took ANA301 at UofT can be exempted if they wish...however, this means that the Anatomy bell-ringers are worth more when applied onto your overall mark.

How much emphasis is there on embrylology at med school? I am trying to decide whether to keep or sell my textbook from my recent course in embryology. The only reason that I would keep it is if I was going to require it extensively during medical school. I have applied to Western, Queen's and Dalhousie.

Thanks for your help!

Elaine

Hey Elaine,

At Dalhousie we have one short 5-week unit that includes embryology. Most of my class (and as far as I can tell, classes ahead of mine) have found it useful to have an embryology text for that unit as class notes aren't enough to fully understand the material. It's also helpful if you have a text that has development abnormalities/clinical cases. Which text do you have?

At Ottawa the embryology classes would be taught a few days before the exam so no one would really study it more than a few days before the exam and we all did well. Embryology is not the focus of medical school classes. If you're a gunner and want to score 95% on every exam keep the book.

Good luck!

Hey Elaine,

At Dalhousie we have one short 5-week unit that includes embryology. Most of my class (and as far as I can tell, classes ahead of mine) have found it useful to have an embryology text for that unit as class notes aren't enough to fully understand the material. It's also helpful if you have a text that has development abnormalities/clinical cases. Which text do you have?

Hi Madz,

I have the text "Developmental Biology" by Gilbert. Overall, it's a decent text. It does include all different organisms though, not just humans.

Thanks for your help.

Elaine

Hi Madz,

I have the text "Developmental Biology" by Gilbert. Overall, it's a decent text. It does include all different organisms though, not just humans.

Thanks for your help.

Elaine

Hey Elaine,

I don't know if that book will be detailed enough for the material covered at Dal. I would suggest having a book specifically on human embryology but if you feel that text is enough along with looking things up in the library/internet then you should be fine. Textbooks are a personal choice so it's hard to make suggestions!

I'd sell it if you can get anything for it. Better to get half the cost back and then buy a medical-specific embryology textbook that will be more helpful. Or you may find that the class notes + an occasional trip to the library is more helpful. In any case, if you sell your text, then later buy an embryology text for medicine, you'll be able to sell the medicine embryology textbook right after you finish the course and won't be left with an old undergrad textbook that will by then be more likely to be out of date and unsellable...

Archived