Premed 101 Forums

OMSAS GPA

Guest healthsci06

Guest healthsci06

Hi,

I was just wondering if anyone could tell me how OMSAS calculates a student's GPA that would be sent to the medical schools. I'm aware that they have a conversion chart for each university but do they take into account summer school in their calculations?

I was just wondering because i know U of T and Western don't consider summer school in your GPA.

Thanks in advance!

Guest Kirsteen

Hi there,

As far as I know, all of your course mark data is entered into the OMSAS application system. From there, different academic reports are generated for each of the medical schools based on their academic policies. So those applying to McMaster who have taken summer school courses will have those course marks averaged into their GPAs, while those applying to UofT will not.

To answer your question you need to look at the policies for each school to determine whether or not they will include summer courses in the GPA calculation. :)

Cheers,

Kirsteen

Guest aneliz

UWO calculates a GPA based on the conversion chart for each Sept-April year of your undergrad. (you will have a 1st year GPA, a 2nd year GPA, etc) Your performance in one year, doesn't affect your GPA in any other year...UWO does not calculate a cGPA or overall GPA. Summer courses cannot be used for 'year' GPAs.

UWO then looks at your 'best' year GPA in determining if you will be interviewed....if you are offered an acceptance, you must have a second year GPA that is over the cut to keep your acceptance.

Hope that helps.

Archived