Premed 101 Forums

Any Special treatment for Mature Students?

Hello All,

In searching all the posts on this forum it seems to me that a lot of the mature med students came from a medical background, Masters or PhD types, or were on the verge of finding a cure for cancer. It leaves a poor soul like myself feeling rather insignificant and hopeless in becoming a physician (boohoo:) )

So I wish to hear from people "in the know" or other mature pre-med/med students and ask your experiences and opinions on this matter. Are the older folk expected to bring more to the table than the young bucks?

I admit that this post is self serving for my insecurities but it sure can be hard keeping my double chin up sometimes!!

My details; if succesful, will enter med school at 41

4.0 GPA fulltime, volunteer work, usual life experience

Worked in the aviation field for 18 years

Thanks so much in advance

Hello All,

In searching all the posts on this forum it seems to me that a lot of the mature med students came from a medical background, Masters or PhD types, or were on the verge of finding a cure for cancer. It leaves a poor soul like myself feeling rather insignificant and hopeless in becoming a physician (boohoo:) )

So I wish to hear from people "in the know" or other mature pre-med/med students and ask your experiences and opinions on this matter. Are the older folk expected to bring more to the table than the young bucks?

I admit that this post is self serving for my insecurities but it sure can be hard keeping my double chin up sometimes!!

My details; if succesful, will enter med school at 41

4.0 GPA fulltime, volunteer work, usual life experience

Worked in the aviation field for 18 years

Thanks so much in advance

Congratulations on pursuing your dream! Your GPA is fantastic, and will go a long way to helping you gain admission in medical school.

I don't think "non-traditional" students are expected to bring more to the table; however, we are expected to still meet GPA and MCAT requirements (if applying to schools that require the MCAT). I also believe that life experience, whether or not in the medical field, will help us with our supplementary applications and in the interviews. It doesn't matter that the life experience is health related, because all jobs have aspects that relate to the career of a physician.

I think that the acceptance rates of older applicants are lower, not because they are expected to bring more to the table, but because they typically have lower GPAs and MCAT scores. However, you have a 4.0 GPA. What is your MCAT score? Between a strong GPA, a strong MCAT and a number of years of life experience, you should be in terrific shape!

Best wishes to you!

Elaine

Thanks so much for the response, very encouraging words indeed!

I was hoping that the mature students have the "life experience" advantage but wasnt sure. It seems to me that Med Schools would like to see alot of EC's to ensure applicants have tasted life and are well rounded. Well, the older folk should have that by default.

Thanks again:)

I don`t think mature students get special treatment or are expected to bring more to the table.

But life being what it is...the older you are the more life experience you are likely to have to draw upon in the interview and such. And you probably have had time to make significant contributions to something, be it a medical or non-medical something.

Most students, mature or not will tell you that they don`t really know what got them into med school. So you will never know until you try.

Good luck

There is no special treatment for mature students. Saying that, there is an advantage to being a mature student in most med school selection criteria. Specifically, in the non-academic portion of the criteria since most mature students will have more life experience than typical applicants. This is a generalization that has many exceptions as there are many 24 years olds that have lived a more "interesting life" than many 40 year olds. Applicants are compared against other applicants and not against typical people of your age group as this would have no benefit and be even more subjective than the process already is.

As a mature student in first year at UBC I can tell you that mature students are very common and welcome in the program. I believe the average age of my class was ~25 but there are atleast 6 people over 30. At 32 I don't think I stand out too much due to my age only because of my previous career.

Good luck. If this is something you truly want you will achieve it, it just takes hard work, patience and of course a little luck.

shaka

Archived