Premed 101 Forums

Question about appearance during interview

Meredith

Hi there,

I feel a little silly asking this question, because it is so frivolous (so try not to laugh too hard - I know there are more pressing issues to consider when preparing for an interview...)

I have curly hair that goes down to about my shoulder blades. I occasionally straighten it. I am unsure how to wear it for medical school interviews, since straight hair significantly changes my appearance. Do you think it will not matter in the least which way I wear it, or do you think one look is better than the other (seeing as I have a choice).

Thanks for any advice on this rather non-important issue... and try not to think of me as horribly shallow. :)

Meredith

Hi there,

I feel a little silly asking this question, because it is so frivolous (so try not to laugh too hard - I know there are more pressing issues to consider when preparing for an interview...)

I have curly hair that goes down to about my shoulder blades. I occasionally straighten it. I am unsure how to wear it for medical school interviews, since straight hair significantly changes my appearance. Do you think it will not matter in the least which way I wear it, or do you think one look is better than the other (seeing as I have a choice).

Thanks for any advice on this rather non-important issue... and try not to think of me as horribly shallow. :)

Meredith

Well I guess my advice would be to wear it whichever way it makes you look more professional and mature. That's the advice I got last time around!!:D

Whatever you do, just make sure you're comfortable and don't let it be a distraction.

Good luck!:)

Do you think it will not matter in the least which way I wear it, or do you think one look is better than the other (seeing as I have a choice).

Whatever makes YOU most comfortable matters most. Other than the effect on your own comfort, it won't make any difference. Interviewers are looking for specific qualities in your answers, and aren't judging you on how you look. Don't worry!

Sorry for saying this but everyone DOES judge you on HOW you look, especially in this very conservative field. As to me, you should present yourself in the most appropriate way: look and feel comfortable - one side of the issue, representative and respectful - the other. Be yourself but borrow some ideas from.. Well TV may be. I mean politicians, television announcers and other representatives of conservative professions. And more, you hair style absolutely depends on what you wear, suit, vest and so on..

These are my two cents :)

Although I think it's true that they will jugde you on how you look, I don't think curly/straight hair is what is meant by that. If you were asking about a pink mohawk or wearing jeans, it'd be another story. The important thing is that you look comfortable & clean. Rest assured that there are lots of people in my class with both curly & straight hair :P. If you feel like you look your best, you will be able to focus on other things at the interview. That's what's important. As for the very unlikely chance that your interview pannel will actually have a strong preference for one or the other & will unconsciously be influenced by that... well, there's no way to know which it would be.

In terms of your hair, I agree with everyone above - do what you're most comfortable with.

That said, I have the *exact* same dilemma as you - my hair is naturally curly and quite long, and it looks more "polished" if I straighten it, but I'm more comfortable in it curly. I think I'm just going to try to do my best to keep it looking not too frizzy and unkept but in its natural state for the interview. Good luck with your own style!

I have a follow-up question: in terms of "professional-looking," do our interviewers expect us in suits? I was planning on dress pants and a shirt - what I wear to work when I have meetings or for conferences - partly because I've never found a suit that I like. Is that a bad idea? Should I have a suit jacket? I like to think that I wouldn't be judged so harshly that not having a suit jacked would prevent me from getting into med school...but who knows?!

Sorry for saying this but everyone DOES judge you on HOW you look, especially in this very conservative field.
I disagree in the context of medical school interviews and the types of differences people here generally ask about. Yes, if you go way out of bounds on the traditionally accepted type of dress (eg having lots of piercings or tattoos, wearing jeans to the interview, etc) then that could have a negative effect. But when it comes to things like do you wear a tie or not, how do you do your hair, do you wear red or navy, I don't think it makes a difference. I interviewed med school applicants for U of T and I was looking for particular evidence of very specific things during the interview: what the person wore couldn't possibly have made a difference.

I have a follow-up question: in terms of "professional-looking," do our interviewers expect us in suits? I was planning on dress pants and a shirt - what I wear to work when I have meetings or for conferences - partly because I've never found a suit that I like. Is that a bad idea? Should I have a suit jacket? I like to think that I wouldn't be judged so harshly that not having a suit jacked would prevent me from getting into med school...but who knows?!

I would throw a blazer over it. Dress slacks + shirt = casual Friday, not interview attire. I wore slacks, matching turtleneck, and a blazer in a different color to my US interview, and it was considered to be VERY risque by many on SDN. I was also the only person in my interview group of 20 or so who didn't wear a suit. Imagine how badly I would stick out had I not even worn a blazer!

I think most people do wear suits. When I went for my interview at Ottawa, probably about 95% of people did. That said, as long as you look professional, I agree that not having a suit jacket is probably not what'll stop you from getting admitted.

what about how young you look? It's a unanimous comment by people who meet me for the first time that I look like i'm 16 or 17... do you think that matters at all? Should I try to look older? (if that's even possible) ahhaha i feel so stupid asking questions like this...

what about how young you look? It's a unanimous comment by people who meet me for the first time that I look like i'm 16 or 17... do you think that matters at all? Should I try to look older? (if that's even possible) ahhaha i feel so stupid asking questions like this...
I think that you should make sure to come across as mature and thoughtful in your answers to interview questions, and that will be enough.

What about a skirt? Is that okay? Like not a crazy skirt, but a business skirt (although it has some minor ruffles)?

And the suit that I bought comes with this inside kiiiiinda sparkly shirt (not really that sparkly)...would that come across as being un-serious?

Or is it best to stick with dress shirt, suit, and pants?

What about a skirt? Is that okay? Like not a crazy skirt, but a business skirt (although it has some minor ruffles)?

And the suit that I bought comes with this inside kiiiiinda sparkly shirt (not really that sparkly)...would that come across as being un-serious?

Or is it best to stick with dress shirt, suit, and pants?

Skirt suits are fine. There were some women with ruffled or otherwise fashionably cut skirts at my interview, and they all looked fine. I'd stay away from over the top trendy things (like blazers with 3/4 sleeves or cropped blazers), though, but that should be obvious.

I disagree in the context of medical school interviews and the types of differences people here generally ask about. Yes, if you go way out of bounds on the traditionally accepted type of dress (eg having lots of piercings or tattoos, wearing jeans to the interview, etc) then that could have a negative effect. But when it comes to things like do you wear a tie or not, how do you do your hair, do you wear red or navy, I don't think it makes a difference. I interviewed med school applicants for U of T and I was looking for particular evidence of very specific things during the interview: what the person wore couldn't possibly have made a difference.

Thanks, Peachy, for your comment.

What I actually meant is that even you do not cross the acceptable boundaries in your choice of clothes and do not wear smth too trendy, navy or red, you still risk looking oddly, especially women. Just be accurate in making your choice. How? I think it is always better to ask your friends if smth fits you or not. Then, it will become obvious what to do with hair. And this question, as to me, is very important. No one wants to make unneeded impressions; and more, want you or not, everyone pays attention to smth unsuitable. That was my idea. Long hair, curly hair or not - does not matter. At the end you want it to give a polish (as with your CV) to overall appearance and complement your suit (or whatever you chose).

Good luck to everyone.

Archived