Premed 101 Forums

4 or 5 courses?

Does anyone have any idea about this?

In most of my undergrad I usually took 9 full courses a year (4 courses one sem and 5 courses one sem). And because I switched my stream of study in 2nd year, I have taken some 2nd year classes in 3rd year and currently some 3rd year classes in 4th year.

Is this looked upon negatively? Do you guys think I'll be flagged?

Thanks! :)

well, 9 courses is almost a full courseload so u should be fine..but i'd want to have at least one year with 10 courses before i graduate, just to show them i could handle it. 3rd- & 4th-year courses are both upper-level courses and okay to take in 4th year...in fact, u could even take a couple of 1st/2nd-year courses in 3rd/4th year and still be ok.

UBC's academic score is based purely on the number of credits you have taken, and the marks you got. (Total GPA worth 60%, last 60 credits worth 40%)

It doesn't matter if you took 1 course a year for 5 years, or 5 courses in 1 year. The result on the AQ will be the same.

However, your NAQ might be affected. For example, if you only took 1 course a year, you better explain what else you did with your time. If you took a full course load, you're not as likely to be scrutinized.

UBC mentions on their website that people who take courses simply to improve their GPA and not with a program/degree in mind, are not normally considered.

And a UBC admissions officer has told me on the phone that upper level courses are regarded more highly than first and second year courses. Probably factoring into the NAQ again.

Archived