Premed 101 Forums

Teacher's College as a 5th year ?

jbm10

This is just my humble opinion: Presumably you want to get into medical school. How would you feel if someone decided to go to med school as their "backup plan" to pass time while they try and get into whatever it is they really want to do? I'd be pretty irate that someone was potentially taking a spot away from me. There will be those who say it's fair game (which it is) but I think that it is a pretty lousy thing to do.

I'm not saying you shouldn't do teacher's college. Just keep in mind that getting into teacher's college is very competitive, and there are people who want to be teachers first and foremost. If you don't really want to do it then don't take a spot away from those who do.

If you do decide to do it, you might get questions about why you are in teacher's college and applying to med school (ie do you even want to be a teacher?). As an engineer grad, I've had this question asked to me in my interviews so far. Just something to think about.

Go for it. There's nothing wrong with establishing a firm back up plan. And medical schools won't look down upon you for doing so. They aren't stupid. They know people have to figure out how they will survive if they don't get in. Just make sure you are prepared to tell them why you took the actions you did, and why you want medicine more.

Put yourself first, because sure as hell, nobody else will.

If I don't get into Med school after my 4th year, I'm thinking of applying to Teacher's College. Does anyone have any opinions as to how this looks to the Med school admission committees?

I know a few people who did that who went to medical school afterwards; no idea how this affects the technical details of applying.

There is a teacher in my class. I have no idea the details of how the application process went in terms of pass/fail etc. Perhaps contact the schools to ask. Also maybe contact the faculties of education you are planning on applying to to see how they mark...perhaps that would affect where you would choose to go. fyi in my experience you may get your head bitten off for refering to the Faculty of Education as "teacher's college"...just to keep in mind when calling up schools!

But teaching is a big part of being a physician so it certainly wouldn`t be a bad thing imo.

Archived