Premed 101 Forums

Verfier checked.. inteview granted... anyone otherwise?

Hey, testing a theory here.

Two previous applications.... none of my verifiers were contacted. No interview.

This time, two verifiers told me they were contacted, and I received an interview invite.

My hypothesis is that people who are below the cut-off for interview invites do not have their verifiers checked because of limited personnel resources.

Can anyone refute this? Perhaps someone who didn't get an interview but who did go through a background check.

I also had verifiers checked and was not granted an interview. Kinda weird...I will be contacting admissions as to why they would do this...at least their rationale behind it...also interesting is I have yet to get a notification email as to status change but have a status change in my application....

K well, toss my hypothesis out the window then :confused:

I guess it's just random on the entire pool.

Sorry to those of you who didn't get interviews. I was in your boat for two years.

And really, there is WAY too much premature celebrating. Getting an interview by no means guarantees admission.

I have been granted an interview for the past two years but this year (even though at least two of my verifyers were checked) I did not get an interview. I am not really sure how this can be as my application only continues to get better. I wonder how much detail they will give as to why no interview. The score breakdown is not going to be enough I'm afraid.

Got an interview the year before last (my first time applying). Got rejected post interview b/c of lack of "medically relevant volunteer exprience." Didn't apply last year to get enough hours of just that!! Applied again this year, verifiers contacted but NO interview.

I wonder if the offers depend on the pool of applicants. Some years they might get really good ones and some other years they might not! So in the good years they can afford to be picky while during the not so great years some of the mediocre applicants will make it through as well.

Just a theory though!! Still tyring to wrap my head around the rejection!! I guess better now than May!!!;)

Hey medgirl.... wow that makes zero sense. I feel like the marking scheme for UBC is actually 25% AQ 25% NAQ and 50% Total Crap Shoot.

It really kills me. Why such a black box? Are you IP or OOP... I mean... could the applicant pool really change THAT drastically? I think you've showed so much commitment... keep truckin, and you'll get there :)

Thnx bcgirl. I'm IP. What was even more interesting last time was that I got a score of 9/10 on the interview. Kind of made me wonder why they even offered me an interview if they were going to reject me based on lack of volunteer experience!

I completely agree with the total crap shoot theory!!!:D

Verifier checked but no interview. None of my verifiers was checked last year, when I was definitely further from the cutoff, so perhaps they only check the borderline candidates?

As for getting an interview one year but not the next, you would think that the size of the applicant pool would reduce variation between years to almost nil, leaving their changing grading system as the main culprit. As you say, it's a crapshoot.

Archived