Premed 101 Forums

Can having a visible piercing negatively impact your interview?

MedPen

This might seem like a strange question but it has been on my mind lately. I was thinking of getting the "industrial"

(see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Industrial_piercing if you don't know what it is). Anyway, I just want to get this for the fun of it because I figure if I don't do it now that I'm young, I'm never going to do it.

But then, I had a second thought. What if the med school interviewer looks at me differently when he/she sees the piercing? First impressions are tricky and I don't know what a piercing like that would convey as a message...:confused:

Any thoughts? What would you think if you were the interviewer and saw someone with such a piercing? Any of you have any visible piercings?

It shouldn't impact anything, but the reality of it is that it does. Professional appearance is important in medicine. Many would say that "non-normal" piecing aren't inside the realm of professional appearance.

If you get/have it make sure you take it out for interviews.

Hi there, I agree with the above post, I'm a med student and if I was interviewing, I would make every effort to try and not make a decision based on something minor like a piercing. However, first impressions are important and my personal thoughts on a piercing might consciously or subconsciously influence the way I feel. Long answer short....it is unlikely to make a big difference, but might as well play it safe because as candidates there is enough uncertainty in this whole process, why add a little more? :P

I think that there are a couple of people with piercings in my class. Most of the piercings are small nose studs for girls. I'm pretty sure that with a nose stud, they would have definitely worn them during their interviews, because or else there would have been this weird hole in their nose...

I personally think that if you have an industrial but are dressed sharply in a conservative, black suit (with a tie if you are a boy), then no one is going to fault you for that.

I think that there are a couple of people with piercings in my class. Most of the piercings are small nose studs for girls. I'm pretty sure that with a nose stud, they would have definitely worn them during their interviews, because or else there would have been this weird hole in their nose...

I personally think that if you have an industrial but are dressed sharply in a conservative, black suit (with a tie if you are a boy), then no one is going to fault you for that.

aaaaaahahahahhahaa! :D

lol, nice :D

I see this more as a professionalism issue. In general, I wouldn't suggest wearing anything to an interview that you wouldn't wear in front of patients.

When you enter a profession like medicine, there will always be a balance between your self-expression through dress, hair colour, piercings, etc, as well as the need to make your patients feel more at ease, in order to build better rapport. How would an 80 year old woman feel if she saw your earring? A young 3 year old? Would it depend if it were an industrial or a nose stud? Why?

I did a quick lit search and came across an interesting editorial and article. A bit of food for thought:

http://www.pubmedcentral.nih.gov/articlerender.fcgi?artid=1490075

http://www.pubmedcentral.nih.gov/articlerender.fcgi?tool=pubmed&pubmedid=15836523

I'd say get the industrial once you are done the interviews. It shouldn't matter, but it may to some people and you don't want to add that to a process that statistically isn't in your favour. If they decide to accept you, they can't do anything about your industrial. However, I'd still recommend taking it off in front of patients. It goes back to what blinknoodle said...stick to stuff you'd wear in front of your patients. GL and congrats on the interview.

or woman ;)

Thank you everyone for your input.

I think I need to provide a few clarifications:

a) I'm a girl!

B) I haven't actually gotten an interview yet and it's probably quite unlikely that I will get one this year since I only applied to UdeM and I haven't finished my degree yet. The odds are against me but I still factored the interview in the piercing decision. Why you ask? Because I'm a scientist and I need to control all the variables in my hypothetical scenarios :)

c) I guess I could get the piercing after I get in but yes, by then I will be quite old and I probably will not want it. I want it now and I feel that if I don't get it, I might feel as if I missed out. There are some things that are cute/acceptable at a certain age but completely inappropriate later.

d) If I get in, I can't take it out for the interview. It takes between 3-12 months to completely heal and if I take it out, I will have nasty scabs.

I have an industrial and have had it for years. I took it off for my interviews. Why risk anything? If you won't be able to take it out for your interview (and I don't suggest messing with a freshly pierced industrial) then wait it out.

I brought my barbell with me to the interviews in my purse and put it back on as I walked out of the schools.

Continuing on with the same theme. I've got a small stud in my nose and I was definitely planning to take it out for the interview, but then again, there'd be a small hole (slightly noticeable) in my nose. Any body's thoughts on which would look worse to an interview panel? Stud or hole in the nose??

Thanks!

Any body's thoughts on which would look worse to an interview panel? Stud or hole in the nose??

Thanks!

I think the hole would probably not be visible unless you really get in your interviewer's face (literally, not figuratively:p ). I would personally take it out. Like someone in this thread said earlier, the interview is a process that is statistically unfavorable to you, so why add more uncertainty?

Continuing on with the same theme. I've got a small stud in my nose and I was definitely planning to take it out for the interview, but then again, there'd be a small hole (slightly noticeable) in my nose. Any body's thoughts on which would look worse to an interview panel? Stud or hole in the nose??

Thanks!

If it's noticeable, I heard you can buy a clear nose ring retainer and paint the exposed tip a nude colour with nail polish. I have yet to try that, and have just let my hole close up. I'm planning to get a septum piercing because you can flip the ring up and hide it for whatever occasion which is great. I've also had my lip pierced before but obviously had to remove the piercing.

The topic of noticeable piercings (and noticeable tattoos for that matter) can be a bit of a touchy subject in this society - especially when it involves interviewing for a career where you will be working with people in different age categories and of various ethnic and cultural befliefs. As a number of people pointed out earlier - I would think that professional appearance in an interview is by far the most important factor to consider. If you already have a piercing/tatto and cannot take it out/cover it up - than 'dressing to impress' is probably you're best bet. If you don't have a piercing/tattoo and want one, but can wait until after interviews then why not wait? If getting a piercing/tatto is really important to you and you don't want to wait... obviously that's your choice.

As an aside - I work with a number of physicians who have been part of interviewing panels in the past, and I got their impressions on this question. Basically they have told me that: they know that such things should not affect their decision, so they try not to base any decisions on things like tattoos/piercings. BUt what I thought was really interesting is this: Sometimes they try so hard to NOT let the appearance of an applicant affect their decision in a negative way that they overcompensate and overlook things in an applicant with a tattoo/piercing that they would not be willing to overlook in a traditionally appearing applicant.

So hey - maybe we should all get industrials and huge tattoos on our faces :o)

Archived