Premed 101 Forums

Can having a visible piercing negatively impact your interview?

MedPen

The topic of noticeable piercings (and noticeable tattoos for that matter) can be a bit of a touchy subject in this society - especially when it involves interviewing for a career where you will be working with people in different age categories and of various ethnic and cultural befliefs. As a number of people pointed out earlier - I would think that professional appearance in an interview is by far the most important factor to consider. If you already have a piercing/tatto and cannot take it out/cover it up - than 'dressing to impress' is probably you're best bet. If you don't have a piercing/tattoo and want one, but can wait until after interviews then why not wait? If getting a piercing/tatto is really important to you and you don't want to wait... obviously that's your choice.

As an aside - I work with a number of physicians who have been part of interviewing panels in the past, and I got their impressions on this question. Basically they have told me that: they know that such things should not affect their decision, so they try not to base any decisions on things like tattoos/piercings. BUt what I thought was really interesting is this: Sometimes they try so hard to NOT let the appearance of an applicant affect their decision in a negative way that they overcompensate and overlook things in an applicant with a tattoo/piercing that they would not be willing to overlook in a traditionally appearing applicant.

So hey - maybe we should all get industrials and huge tattoos on our faces :o)

seeing that you have close contact with doctors that have been on interviewing panels, does appearance also include whether or not someone is aesthetically pleasing, in other words ridiculously good looking?

I've just always wondered if looks REALLY do matter??

seeing that you have close contact with doctors that have been on interviewing panels, does appearance also include whether or not someone is aesthetically pleasing, in other words ridiculously good looking?

I've just always wondered if looks REALLY do matter??

I don't think that people consciously factor in someone's appearance when making a decision concerning that person however, I do think that subconsciously appearance is taken into account.

I saw this Dateline special once where two women with the exact same qualifications were sent to 3 interviews for a job. Both were coached to provide similar answers at the interviews. The only difference between these two women was their appearance. One was extremely attractive (could have been a model) and the other one was normal, the kind of women you see everyday and don't give a second thought to.

In all 3 scenarios, the attractive woman got the job. Now, this was an extreme case. In real life, almost everyone is average looking. So, unless you're model gorgeous or butt-ugly your looks will neither favorably nor unfavorably impact your interview.

I have 10 earrings (including a tragus piercing) and a nose ring and I had no problem during interviews for medical school. I have had no problems while in medical school and no problems with them during residency interviews either. I keep small earrings in and no one has commented on them so far. I wouldn't worry about having piercings in during your interviews. There have been people I know that had eyebrow rings in for interviews and during medical school.

Medicine is a very conservative profession (my impression, at least). Interviewers don't really tell you if they have a problem with your appearance. Some interviewers will not mind piercings at all but some will. First impression matters a lot during interviews so if you want to maximize your chances, take them off. I'm sure you'll survive half a day without piercings.

I've always wondered about this...I'm a guy who has ear piercings (one small hoop in each ear). Now I know that these types of earrings are definitely more acceptable in this day and age. It's also not as new as these industrial piercings. But what do you guys think about wearing them during my interviews? I do have one interview for sure...

I just read all of the replies on this thread. I have a small nose stud as well, and I'm seriously worried about the hole in my nose if I take it out. I have different sized studs, and some of them are very small. You would just be able to see a light sparkle if I turn or something. Do you guys think a very small nose stud would be better than leaving it open?

I just read all of the replies on this thread. I have a small nose stud as well, and I'm seriously worried about the hole in my nose if I take it out. I have different sized studs, and some of them are very small. You would just be able to see a light sparkle if I turn or something. Do you guys think a very small nose stud would be better than leaving it open?

I guess I would probably wore the smallest, least noticeable stud. A nose stud isn't that noticeable and besides, I think that as long as it isn't too flashy, the ad com will probably not care/notice/take it into account.

Archived