Premed 101 Forums

Interview Invites.....?

Hi this may have been addressed elsewhere in a thread, but I can't seem to find the dates when invites will be sent out.

I know that MCAT/ GPA cutoffs will be posted on the UWO website in Late January but that these do not directly guarantee an interview?

Thanks in advance :)

I contacted them earlier today actually and was told that cutoffs would be posted at the end of the month as planned and that invites would be sent out sometime towards middle/end of February.

Given that cutoffs are going to be posted as initially planned, hopefully they are not that cryptic about criteria for interview invites as seems to be the case with Queen's this year.

I wonder if there will be somewhat drastic changes to the cut offs like Queens.

Given the historic similarity in the both Queens and UWO's admission criteria (best 2 year GPA, strict MCAT cutoffs, etc) both schools tended to set similar cutoff criteria in order to ensure a reasonable interview quota. Given the cutoffs required this year at Queen's to narrow the pool of applicants, I have a feeling the quality of this year's applicants are much higher than last year and that UWO will have to employ a similar strategy.

Before we jump to conclusions, we should establish that UWO had less applicants than Queen's and UWO now has an Honours requirement which queen's doesn't. That ought to narrow the pool a little bit

Plus, as far as I understand, unlike Queens they only accept the score from the most recently written MCAT. This should somewhat counterbalance any inflation that is occuring as a result of the computerized MCAT.

I think I'll be ok even as long as they dont start reviewing the reference letters and essays after the 3.7+/10/10/10Q are met, cuz that is when it gets subjective and less predictable. Even if they raise the cutoffs a little bit I think id be ok..does anyone know exactly when the cutoffs were posted last year?

Before we jump to conclusions, we should establish that UWO had less applicants than Queen's and UWO now has an Honours requirement which queen's doesn't. That ought to narrow the pool a little bit

Yeah, and don't forget that UWO's definition of full-time is 30 credits a year, while Queen's will take years with just 18 credits.

Guest FockI'mOld!

I think Alastriss means one of the years has to be 5 credits at a senior level. Which could technically include 100 level courses but roughly 60% of the courseload has to be 200+, which is 300+ at most other universities.

I think Alastriss means one of the years has to be 5 credits at a senior level. Which could technically include 100 level courses but roughly 60% of the courseload has to be 200+' date=' which is 300+ at most other universities.[/quote']

I was told that 0 level courses DID matter? My friend told me. I am currently taking 5.5 credits with 1 of them a 0 level course but this is the email i sent them and this is what i got

Email I sent:

To the admission's committee:

As the new semester has begun at my school, I have taken an interest in a 0 level course which I would like to take, but I wanted to inquire how this would be looked upon by the admission's commitee. Would there be any penalty in doing so?

It is important to note that this 0 level course would make my fall-winter academic session contain 5.5 credits instead of the 5 credits that is needed to have this year count towards my GPA requirements.

E-mail I received

If you have 5.5. credits for the year, one of which is 0-level course, that will be fine.

M Kennard

Admin Assistant

well I guess now that I am reading it over I think i misunderstood, 60% must be corresponding to your year/senior level I think

I think Alastriss means one of the years has to be 5 credits at a senior level. Which could technically include 100 level courses but roughly 60% of the courseload has to be 200+' date=' which is 300+ at most other universities.[/quote']

This has been discussed at quite some length on this forum. 200+ courses at any university are sufficient.

Guest FockI'mOld!
This has been discussed at quite some length on this forum. 200+ courses at any university are sufficient.

Do you mind fishing out a link for this discussion? I'd appreciate it.

On a side note, what is a 0 level course? I'm at U of T and ours are levelled 100,200,300,400.

Posting the cutoffs is different from sending out actual interview invites. They do not guarantee interviews to everyone who meets the cutoffs, although it appears that traditionally, if your application is complete and you meet the cutoffs, you get an interview. People are just waiting for that confirmation that they do in fact have an interview.

Archived