Premed 101 Forums

Faculty of medicine SSRP

Has anyone had any experience with this program (the Summer Student Research Program) offered by the Faculty of Medicine? My supervisor in the lab I've been volunteering in has encouraged me to apply, and I'm feeling unsure because I really don't know anyone else who has secured this grant before, and thus have no idea what to expect or what they look for (is it solely grades?!) or what this means or anything.

Ok , going to go calm down with some tea now...:eek:

Being awarded a SSRP depends year by year and on your project and amount of funding available. Normally, from what my supervisor told me (he is a professor in faculty of medicine), medical students applying with a project are selected first and then upper year undergrad students.

As for selection criteria, grades are a big part (last two years) but being awarded a SSRP is also highly dependant on your project description (what you will be doing, new techniques learned, etc.). I can't tell you how "to secure" this grant but if you have atleast a solid A- average in last two years and if your supervisor can come up with a good project for you, you should def. apply and hope for the best.

Interesting you ask because I've applied for one this year within a department in the faculty of medicine. I contacted the supervisor telling him I was interested, he then interviewed me and then they made selections. Now the people that were selected aren't necessarily guaranteed the SSRP, however, this department has already agreed to fund us in case we don't win one of the awards. The application is short, easily to fill out, and mostly just involves you having a supervisor and a good project.

This is my first year at UBC so that's the extent of my knowledge on how it works.

Guest 02'topaz

I also did an SSRP after my third year of undergrad and basically agree with the comments made above. There's two major things which they look at, grades and the quality of the project. If your average for the last two years is over 80% and the project shows that you will play a major role, definitely go for it. The application is so simple and the most difficult part (project description and outline) is completed by the supervisor :).

At the end of it, all you are required is to submit a ONE page outline regarding what you learned from the research experience!

on the application instructions, it says we should submit transcripts for the "last two completed years." My supervisor has averaged marks for all classes taken in 2005 and 2006 (including the summer sessions). We sent an email out to the secretary asking about including summer marks or not, and got back a response: "It's the last two completed years."

Help.

Grades + Attractive Project Description

Kuatum: with your GPA, you are almost guaranteed the SSRP award. Your project description would have to be pretty awful to break your application.

I hope so. I'm really excited about the project. Even if I don't get the SSRP, the department I am with has already agreed to provide funding so not getting the SSRP won't affect me at all.

on the application instructions, it says we should submit transcripts for the "last two completed years." My supervisor has averaged marks for all classes taken in 2005 and 2006 (including the summer sessions). We sent an email out to the secretary asking about including summer marks or not, and got back a response: "It's the last two completed years."

Help.

I wouldn't sweat it. If they think summer courses should not be included, what they would probably do is to re-calculate the marks for you.

It is highly unlikely that they disqualify you on grounds that your supervisor included the summer courses when calculating marks.

I hope so. I'm really excited about the project. Even if I don't get the SSRP, the department I am with has already agreed to provide funding so not getting the SSRP won't affect me at all.

Good luck with the application anyway!

What is your project?

(you can choose to PM me if you prefer)

Archived