Premed 101 Forums

rejected stats in the mail

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was shown a neat thing in a high school math class that maybe some people haven't seen before, but all the fractions of seven are repeating numbers, with the same pattern, just moved through.

1/7 = 0.142857142857142857.... etc.

2/7 = 0.285714285714285714....

3/7 = 0.428571428571428571....

4/7 = 0.571428571428571428....

5/7 = 0.714285714285714285....

6/7 = 0.857142857142857142....

7/7 = 1.00

As well, to quickly figure out which number it starts with, you can think of how many times 7 goes into the (fraction x 10). For example, for 3/7, you think how many times 7 completely goes into 30.... = 4, so 3/7 starts with the 4.

As well, you see the pattern is basically a repeat of 14, 28, 57 which is almost (7x2), (7x4), (7x8 +1)...

Neat.

I was shown a neat thing in a high school math class that maybe some people haven't seen before, but all the fractions of seven are repeating numbers, with the same pattern, just moved through.

1/7 = 0.142857142857142857.... etc.

2/7 = 0.285714285714285714....

3/7 = 0.428571428571428571....

4/7 = 0.571428571428571428....

5/7 = 0.714285714285714285....

6/7 = 0.857142857142857142....

7/7 = 1.00

As well, to quickly figure out which number it starts with, you can think of how many times 7 goes into the (fraction x 10). For example, for 3/7, you think how many times 7 completely goes into 30.... = 4, so 3/7 starts with the 4.

As well, you see the pattern is basically a repeat of 14, 28, 57 which is almost (7x2), (7x4), (7x8 +1)...

Neat.

lol...that is...interesting. so does UBC use fractions of 7's to calculate our score? The math seems to correlate with my scores....now how they hell do the decide what gets 1/7, 2/7....x/7 of a point?

A reviewer evaluates you in each category (diversity, community service, etc.) on a scale of 1/7. Suppose that under diversity the reviewer thinks you should get 5/7 and I remember that last year, diversity was worth 6 points.....so your actual score is going to be (5/7)x6=4.285.

After your raw score is calculated, the score is standardized in order to eliminate the variation between each marker (some could be very tough and some very easy going).

A reviewer evaluates you in each category (diversity, community service, etc.) on a scale of 1/7. Suppose that under diversity the reviewer thinks you should get 5/7 and I remember that last year, diversity was worth 6 points.....so your actual score is going to be (5/7)x6=4.285.

After your raw score is calculated, the score is standardized in order to eliminate the variation between each marker (some could be very tough and some very easy going).

Now it makes sense...thanks for the post

My NAQ scores were completely non-reflective of what I had put forward in my application. I got a 0 on human endevours even though i have completed to Grade 6 with honors in the Royal COnservatory of Music, and achieved gold medals in national festivals.

I also got SLAMMED (1.7/6) on both service and working with others even though for the past 7 years i have worked as a front line service staff at a busy public library.

and i know that they score me based on what i present in the file, but i honestly believe that i described and embellished on everything related to the naq sections...

any insight???

Medgirl08,

So you interviewed last year and got rejected pre interview this year? How much did your score go down by?

I'm in the same boat and had my NAQ scores go down by an insane amount (from ~20 to just shy of 15). I don't have the numbers with me, but I can't see how this reflects a fair/objective assessment. I think one section went from 5.47 to 2.4 or something like that, others went down by half. My experiences haven't changed except for some additional volunteer work.

I have a hard time accepting that the 'average applicant' experiences have increased that much from last year despite the increased number of applicants. Wouldn't you think the average NAQ for all applicants would go up if that is the case? Seems weird that all of the sudden I have less diverse experiences, less service capacity and less experience working with others...

I'm not sure what to do. Give up? I guess maybe you can't really reapply without predjudice?

I applied two years ago and got an interview but got rejected post interview (NAQ=12.93). I took up quite a few volunteer positions and had almost double the number of hours (or perhaps even more) compared to what I had last time. This time I got an NAQ score of 12.83!!!!

I got a big fat zero in the human endeavor area, and scored lower than last time in leadership and service ethics!!!

I am quite lost as to what steps I need to take to improve my application for next year.:(

My NAQ scores were completely non-reflective of what I had put forward in my application. I got a 0 on human endevours even though i have completed to Grade 6 with honors in the Royal COnservatory of Music, and achieved gold medals in national festivals.

I also got SLAMMED (1.7/6) on both service and working with others even though for the past 7 years i have worked as a front line service staff at a busy public library.

and i know that they score me based on what i present in the file, but i honestly believe that i described and embellished on everything related to the naq sections...

any insight???

Gracie,

When they look at the Human Endeavor section they are looking at things that are above and beyond what most people do - not to discredit your achievements, but if you talking about piano then I'm sure you would need to have at least finished to grade 10 or ARCT to be thought of as exceptional (which MAY get you 1.5 or 2 points - or maybe only 0.5). As well, working at the library for 7 years is great, and that probably got you some points, but from talking to classmates and from my feedback sessions I would recommend broadening your horizens and stretching yourself by doing things that get you out of your comfort zone - volunteer on the downtown East side, tutor underpriveledged First Nations kids, spend time at burn clinics or old folks homes - and if you really want to get your mark up - start a program, lead a group, do something that takes a lot of responsibility and initiative and that will really come through on your application.

I remember I talked to my family doctor, who used to be involved in the selection process at UBC, about gettting in and he told me "don't be like everyone else! - who's sport is skiing, plays piano, and volunteers in the ER at their local hospital (oh, and likes to read books as their hobby)". Funny thing is I did all those things - but you need to go beyond that and show them that you are an exceptional person who can handle responsibility, working with difficult people, and being creative, all while getting great grades - Luckily I had done other things, and when I didn't get in I continued with what I was doing, and kept looking for new things I could do to stretch myself. It's a tough haul, but once your in it is worth it!

Pretty disappointed right now, my 3 point gain on AQ was balanced by a 3 point drop on NAQ, due to a drop in diversity of experiences (from 4.3 last year to 1.7) and high level of performance (from 1.5 to 0).

The most disappointing part is that I though diversity was the strength of my application and I tried to highlight it in my essay.

I guess I have to keep plugging at it until next year.

I am not a UBC applicant, but I decided to read this thread just out of interest. Its seems like in order to get into UBC you have to over-think everything...I mean shouldn't extracurricular activities be based on what you love and are passionate about? It shouldn't be about strategically going about finding activities that other people don't do. And isn't being a good doctor about being a resonable and REAL person who can relate to others and make rational decisions? Based on the types of students that they take, I imagine that the school would be EXTREMELY competitive. I mean its basically a bunch of olympic athletes and mother Theresa-wannabes. Does anybody know if this is the case?

I am not a UBC applicant, but I decided to read this thread just out of interest. Its seems like in order to get into UBC you have to over-think everything...I mean shouldn't extracurricular activities be based on what you love and are passionate about? It shouldn't be about strategically going about finding activities that other people don't do. And isn't being a good doctor about being a resonable and REAL person who can relate to others and make rational decisions? Based on the types of students that they take, I imagine that the school would be EXTREMELY competitive. I mean its basically a bunch of olympic athletes and mother Theresa-wannabes. Does anybody know if this is the case?

based on what i had heard from other applicants, this was also my impression about ubc before i applied and got an interview...i'm not an athlete and i'm far from mother theresa, so i never thought i'd "pass" their criteria...that said, i do have volunteer experiences in several different settings and i've shown a lot of commitment (yrs) to some of them...maybe i was underestimating myself as this seems to have been enough, at least for this cycle...but some people's naq scores do seem to vary quite a bit from year to year, so who knows maybe this was my lucky year...

I applied to UBC a couple of years ago. Honestly, I think their grading system is a joke. And they don't even look at the MCATs. When the grading is subjective, it gives greater leeway to fudge your application process. Transparency is very important IMO.

Do you guys think it has something to do with controlling the number of Asians in the med school? I'm not trying to pull the racism card but in the 1960s, discrimination against the Jewish people was well known in institutions in the USA. Jewish students had to get higher scores to get in. Human nature doesn't change. I personally suffered quite a bit of racism in junior high and senior high school.

There was a huge outcry from the Asian community in California a few years ago after the University of California school systems (UCLA, Berkley, Santa Barbara) considered not looking at the SATs to get into their undergrads because it was considered a step to prevent Asian students from getting in. Just something to think about.

I applied to UBC a couple of years ago. Honestly, I think their grading system is a joke. And they don't even look at the MCATs. When the grading is subjective, it gives greater leeway to fudge your application process. Transparency is very important IMO.

Do you guys think it has something to do with controlling the number of Asians in the med school? I'm not trying to pull the racism card but in the 1960s, discrimination against the Jewish people was well known in institutions in the USA. Jewish students had to get higher scores to get in. Human nature doesn't change. I personally suffered quite a bit of racism in junior high and senior high school.

There was a huge outcry from the Asian community in California a few years ago after the University of California school systems (UCLA, Berkley, Santa Barbara) considered not looking at the SATs to get into their undergrads because it was considered a step to prevent Asian students from getting in. Just something to think about.

definitely possible...the language proficiency index (LPI) for undergraudate studies is one great example

one rumor that i heard back in high school was....that markers of LPI will first look at the names of the examinees.....if he/she is a western people...thats a automatic level 5 (required for registration of first year english courses at UBC...and you will get kick out of UBC if you dont take english after second year)....if they see chinese names...they will actually mark the exams

(its just a rumour....so it may not necessary be true)

definitely possible...the language proficiency index (LPI) for undergraudate studies is one great example

one rumor that i heard back in high school was....that markers of LPI will first look at the names of the examinees.....if he/she is a western people...thats a automatic level 5 (required for registration of first year english courses at UBC...and you will get kick out of UBC if you dont take english after second year)....if they see chinese names...they will actually mark the exams

(its just a rumour....so it may not necessary be true)

That is one dumb rumor.

I'm kind of getting irritated by posts like this (eg. check out the Queen's forum) suggesting "theories" about how "western people" are out to get people of a minority. I'm not naive enough to think there is no discrimination in the world, but all of these posts just sound like excuses for not doing well (or potentially not doing well) on exams.

just...stop! stop stop stop! :mad:

- Thami

That is one dumb rumor.

I'm kind of getting irritated by posts like this (eg. check out the Queen's forum) suggesting "theories" about how "western people" are out to get people of a minority. I'm not naive enough to think there is no discrimination in the world, but all of these posts just sound like excuses for not doing well (or potentially not doing well) on exams.

just...stop! stop stop stop! :mad:

- Thami

This is a forum. I think anything that's possible to be true is a valid discussion here.

This is a forum. I think anything that's possible to be true is a valid discussion here.

There is a difference between something that might potentially being true versus something completely ridiculous! I don't see how having these rumors circulated is productive at all...

I'm sorry you had experience with racism during school. The bulk of my bad experiences were in elementary school with reverse discrimination (where it was the Chinese kids bullying me because I was half and couldn't speak the language). In first year of university I went to see a program advisor who I had contacted by email, only to have him look disappointed and say "you are not white" so I am aware all this exists in places where we would least expect it. However, we have to be aware that cases like these are isolated--there will always be discrimination.

But if you pull out the race card every time something stands in your way, it's only you who is being disadvantaged. It's counterproductive.

If that "rumor" is true, then what is the cause for upset? Last time I checked, it's your mark on the paper (LPI?) that counts, not the marks of other students. You wrote it. You get a mark. If it's graded, isn't that better? It means someone read it and your mark is representative (to some extent) of the skills they are testing. It's unfair, but life isn't fair. The marks of all "those western people" aren't affecting your mark in any way!

Thami

Archived