Premed 101 Forums

rejected stats in the mail

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply
are they still giving scores to 3 decimal places? :o

Yep!!!

So I have a couple of questions, how is is possible to get a lower NAQ score with an additional 600-800 hours of volunteer work (as suggested by the good people of the admissions committee in the areas that they suggested) between the two applications?? also what do they mean by high performance in the area of human endeavor??? I have been scoring not so great in that, last time post interview and this time pre!!!

Yep!!!

also what do they mean by high performance in the area of human endeavor??? I have been scoring not so great in that, last time post interview and this time pre!!!

I wondered the same thing when I got my letter...

scored a 0 on it, had i had a few points there I wouldve made the cutoff for interview...darn

so what kind of activity would fall under this human endeavour business?

If your an Olympic Athlete, or wrote a few papers that were published in Nature, or started a large business with a few thousand employees - that should give you top marks in the catagory.

Every year it is always the hardest to score points in - Im not sure what it's out of now, but it was always out of 5 and if you scored a 2 or 3 then that was pretty good.

They want to see that you have excelled in one area - be it sports, business, academics, music, what have you - how far have you taken that activity will determine your score.

Don't get too bent out of shape over this catagory since it's so hard to improve in - focus on the others.

Have we seen anyone here with a good human endeavour score? I don't think I ever have. Maybe there's one of these people on the board, so they could share what they think led them to get a high score in that area?

Tae Kwon Do over 6-7 years?

I think Kirsteen had a kick-ass score a few years back. Ah well, some crazy Mac interview prep is underway. Congrats on the Queen's interview btw.

last year, I think the high performance category was out of 3.5. What was it out of this year?

To get a high score in this category, you have to do a similar activity to what Poolboy mentioned. It basically rewards someone who has excelled at a particular task and therefore, might not have had enough time to participate in other activities. After all, the dedication and work required to be an olympic athlete is not something everyone can do.

last year, I think the high performance category was out of 3.5. What was it out of this year?

To get a high score in this category, you have to do a similar activity to what Poolboy mentioned. It basically rewards someone who has excelled at a particular task and therefore, might not have had enough time to participate in other activities. After all, the dedication and work required to be an olympic athlete is not something everyone can do.

It's also not something everyone wants to do.

I got 2/3.5 last year but I forgot to ask my reviewer what it was based on. I think it's my ARCT in piano which I had dedicated much of my time in (>10yrs) and had won several awards in competitions. If that only scored me 1 point, then I'm not sure where the other point came from.

UBC changed the format of the application A LOT this past year.

Previously where you only had a sentence or two to describe your activity, you now have a whole paragraph.

It is possible that your NAQ went DOWN after an additional number of hours because you did not accurately describe or present yourself effectively. Remember, failing to score well doesn't always mean that you are lacking in that area, but that success isn't evident from your file.

As for the human endeavor one.... you pretty much need to be amazing to get higher than a 1.5 out of 3. Black belt? Sure, it's a good accomplishment, but lets be honest, it's not a universally recognized grading system. Some clubs give out belts much quicker and faster than others. Olympic track records and universal systems like music levels, etc, are easier to award points for.

Previously where you only had a sentence or two to describe your activity, you now have a whole paragraph.

It is possible that your NAQ went DOWN after an additional number of hours because you did not accurately describe or present yourself effectively. Remember, failing to score well doesn't always mean that you are lacking in that area, but that success isn't evident from your file.

As for the human endeavor one.... you pretty much need to be amazing to get higher than a 1.5 out of 3. Black belt? Sure, it's a good accomplishment, but lets be honest, it's not a universally recognized grading system. Some clubs give out belts much quicker and faster than others. Olympic track records and universal systems like music levels, etc, are easier to award points for.

One of the criticism I got last time was why I didn't use all the space that we were given to describe an activity so I made sure to use up everything this time around. I think of the 10000 characters that we were given I ended using 9999 of them describing everything (actually I went over and then I had to go back and make revisions to make sure I am within the limit)! oh well, there's always next year and the many many years after that!!!

I don't necessarily think it was that they didn't think a black belt wasn't that good - because I think it's pretty obvious that takes a lot of effort and commitment. However, if you didn't describe the commitment, the effort, the determination required for you to make it there, then you may not get the points.

Granted, some things are easier to award points for. However, it'd be a shame if you started doubting your accomplishments especially if you know you worked hard to get there.

Here's something fun and interesting. I applied last year to UBC as well, and between the two years, my pre-requisite average DROPPED almost 6%, even though I didn't take any different pre-req courses or re-take any of them.

2006/2007 pre-reqs: 84.05%

2007/2008 pre-reqs: 78.40%

It's not supposed to affect your AQ but it makes me wonder how accurately they counted my score, since I was only 1.5 away from an interview, and got an AQ of 21.4/25...

Here's something fun and interesting. I applied last year to UBC as well, and between the two years, my pre-requisite average DROPPED almost 6%, even though I didn't take any different pre-req courses or re-take any of them.

2006/2007 pre-reqs: 84.05%

2007/2008 pre-reqs: 78.40%

It's not supposed to affect your AQ but it makes me wonder how accurately they counted my score, since I was only 1.5 away from an interview, and got an AQ of 21.4/25...

What is interesting is in 2 different sections of NAQ I got the same score to the third decimal place...it makes me wonder did they make a mistake with scoring in my application as well.

They do that. Their NAQ scores seem to only equal a couple of different values (maybe some weird fractions..), so lots of people have multiple exactly equal scores.

Interesting. I have never heard that before....do many people on here have that happen...exact scores to the 3rd decimal?

Archived